best eyewear for the flats? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM

best eyewear for the flats?

What do guys recommend for polarized eye wear for flats fishing? Any particular brand,color etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM
okiplug

I just returned from a trip to North Andros

and saw fish fine with my Costa Del Mars in Amber. It must be noted that I did not see as many as my guide !

Glenn
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Fly chucker

To each their own, but I really prefer copper on the flats. The contrast afforded by that color really works for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
To each their own, but I really prefer copper on the flats. The contrast afforded by that color really works for me.
is there a brand you would recommend?
Old 06-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Fly chucker

I have tried many brands and they all have their strong points, but I prefer Kaenon glasses. They are made specifically for salt water use...a bit higher in price point, but you won't need to replace them because of corrosion or greening of the hinges after a few seasons.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I use both gray and copper. Copper provides higher contrast while gray provides fidelity to color. Somedays the color gives the fish away, other days the contrast.

I've had great luck with Ray Bans, Action Optics or Maui Jims. Currently on a Ray Ban kick because Costco has them at a great price
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I've worn amber and grey in the past and like amber more. This season I've started wearing a pair of rose colored sunglasses (insert joke here) and really like them a lot. I read somewhere that rose cut glare off of water and pavement the best for people who wear contacts so I decided to give it a shot. They're Smith's which is a company I really like. I also like Ray-Ban (costco's prices are great juro), Orvis, Maui Jim, Kaenon and Native. I have a friend who used to sell sunglasses at a surf store who really like Von Zipper but I can't comment on those. I know Orvis currently has their really expensive ones on sale for about $100 off.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM

I have been fortunate to have a good friend who is a sailboater with and optometry problem. For 15 years I have gone though probably a dozen pairs of various brands. Lots of Revo and Maui. I have found Maui to be my favorite with a copper lens(almost as good in the fog as they are the sunny flats.) Although to agree with boatdrinks I sure could have used a pair of rose glasses yesterday on the flats, wind, mostly cloudy, surf and more wind. We did have permit, bones and a couple bluefins though...none of which I landed as I was experimenting with new leader setups.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Optimum color depends on ambient light, amber is good in flat light, copper in bright light, light brown in low light, etc. There is lots of subjective stuff about what works for whom, experimentation is the key. I like photochromatic lenses that change density according to brightness, some people don't. For best results you really need more than one pair, my feeling is that glasses are one of the most important pieces of equipment that you own, get the best you can, make sure they fit and don't fog up.
Jon
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM

For sightfishing copper or copper/amber has worked well for me. For full sun or offshore I like grey. Personally I usually have both pair with me and will use both throughout a day. Hobie, costa del mat and maui jim have all been great and held up well over the years.

I think you get used to whatever you use. My guide used a pair of blue mirrored shades that no catalog recommends for flats and he sees the fish beautifully. Honestly, he'd see them with no glasses and blindfolded.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Bruce

I have a pair of native glasses. the nice feature is you can order/change glass color.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM

I've heard good things about the natives. They're well priced too. My brother got a pair of orvis glasses with the amber lenses that really worked well in shallow water last weekend.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Copper is definitely the color you want.

I have several pairs of Orvis and Ray Bay glasses. I wouldn't buy Ray Bans again. The lenses of them fall out of not just my particular model, but a lot of their styles. They work awesome though and allow you to see fish amazingly well. There was no way to fix this problem that I could find short of gluing the lenses in.

The Orvis glasses I have also make it very easy to see fish. I used those on my last bonefish trip and I saw fish many times before the guides, even when they were on the poling platform. However, these too had an issue. The screws on the side of the frames of both pairs that held the lenses in kept coming loose. This was easily fixed unlike the Ray Bans by putting a tiny bit of Nu-Skin on the screws.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:28 PM

My wire rim polarized glesses had the lens falling out and the screw loosening problems, my solution was to put a few drops of thin super glue around the edge of the glass and a little dab on each screw, haven't had to touch them now for a few years.
Jon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.