2011 is OFFICIAL!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

2011 is OFFICIAL!!

Great to see familiar faces and make new friends! Good laughs and food, let the season begin!

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 PM

Way to Go! I've got to get down to Reedsport on the Umpqua and explore the lower Smith one of these days. So far, outside of a few mentions in books, I know of no one else who fishes for stripers down there.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Middle Aged Member

It was good to see everybody. Wish I could of fished a bit more.

So did anybody fish Sunday or was it a recovery day?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Fred - I noticed the parking lot at the hankie was still full well after breakfast time so probably the latter - I passed out on Sat after the clam bake so was able to get up early.

I took a look at the bayside, but with the stiff NE it was surf and mung. Rakers had only found 3 sand eels in an hour. I did talk to John from East Dennis Oyster Farms who gave me a taste test and some tips on how to pick the best oysters. Delicious right out of the water.

Then met Q for a a 4x4 ride down to the new inlet. Good recon but wind swung east and efforts were best focused elsewhere.

Overall the CRAP New England weather seems to have slowed down the season by about two weeks. We'll see what this expected warm up late in the week will do.

Last edited by juro; 05-23-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Great time for everyone from what I could see. Thanks to Juro for setting up the clam bake, Shadfreak for setting up the rip trip, Adrian for the tip on the worm hatch, and PEC for hosting the spey clave. Lot's of schoolies and twinks for our group on Saturday with a couple of nice one's from the ditch on Friday. Worm hatch was amazing to see, my first. Sunday we fished around Wellfleet and it was pretty quiet.

Also great to meet more of the gang, Shadfreak, Quentin, Sickb4st4rd, Pomponesett, Penguin, others.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Flats Rat

Joe, glad you caught the hatch - it can be hit or miss but it is pretty cool when you see it.
Also congratulations on the great bass on Friday. I was sorry I didn't have the camera as that fish deserved a picture, especially from that spot.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:32 PM

As usual, great time and company. Too bad the decent sized fish were not all that co-operative. Thanks to Paul for the JB Basser Mini clave on Friday. Learned a lot and did see 2 big fish landed. I managed to get on the Rip Trip on Saturday and had an enjoyable time, until I 'clousered' my rod and removed about 12" from the tip! My deep thanks to Pete G for letting me use his CND while he tested out the Beulah. Juro, nice job on the 'clambake' and the food was excellent. It was nice to see previously met participants and really enjoyed the time with Steve. Hope everyone had as enjoyable time as I did and look forward to seeing some on the beaches this year.
Tight lines to all
Pete Readel
PopnesetBay
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes, another very enjoyable clave despite some of the weather. Finished it this morning with some nice (but not giant) fish which felt good. In my mind, the clave is tall about the comradery, and this did not disappoint. Thanks to all whose hard work made it possible.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:04 PM
_

Great time as usual . I didn't catch any fish on Saturday, but the dinner and get-together more than made up for that. It's always nice to get together with the people I've known from prior events and meet some other members that I've only known from the bulletin board. Good food, plenty of beverages and lots of great stories .

I got a late start on Sunday and got a call from Juro just as I was getting ready to head out for some fishing somewhere (I hadn't decided where to go yet). We were going to try the bayside but Juro scouted the area before I got there and it didn't seem like the place to be. We ended up cruising the beach from Nauset to the new cut and saw lots of fishy looking water but no fish. I did learn some things about the spring migration and beach fishing in general. I also learned that it is possible to convert an old Chevy Caprice Classic into a beach buggy . Later that day I managed to catch a few blues and small stripers from the jetty at the mouth of the Bass River (Juro -- you should have stopped by and you could have caught some fresh bluefish for your mom!)

On Monday I did more driving than fishing, but did manage to get my first keeper-sized bass of the season. I decided to try to hide from the wind and fish for some schoolies at a south side pond. I didn't catch any schoolies but I did get this thick-shouldered 31 incher that actually took me a few feet into the backing :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring clave striper 5-23-2011.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	7181  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 AM

Nice fish Quentin! My pleasure, too bad the conditions were so bad. Just my way of thanking you for taking the initiative to manage the phone contact list for everybody. I should be thanking you!

best, J

BTW - mom was perfectly happy with lobster at the North End After her ordeal in Japan of late I would have flown her to Alaska for fresh spring chinook!

Last edited by juro; 05-26-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.