PI Bait Push Question - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2000, 10:49 AM

PI Bait Push Question

There's a storm coming in tonight. Forcast calls for E or NE winds to 20 knts. Was wondering if this would push bait into the shoreline/surf at PI. Combined with the fact that it's the Fall feeding habits and the low pressure could make for a good morning in the rain. On the minus side it's that damn East wind again! And casting into it would be tough.
Any thoughts?

Terry (who's dying to get out before work this week evan though the tides are off)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2000, 11:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:PI Bait Push Question

I'd like to shoot the guy who made up the saying when the wind is east the fishing is least. I swear between that, bananas and even butterflies I can't get the mantra out of my mind as I cast, cast, cast.

Certainly on the cape's south sides the wind pushes the bait to shore. With the strong south winds of late, I stopped on the way back from Chatham yesterday at several spots on the soundside and the bait was as thick inside the rivers and bays as I have ever seen it. There is carnage at night in the estuaries for sure. I had a flashback of a night the squeteague came into the river to feed at night, this time of year too.

My theory is that the plankton gets blown around, which pulls the bait with it. The bait itself doesn't get blown by wind. I'm no biologist, but that is my theory, Miss Anne, "A-n-n-e not a-n" brackets / no brackets Elk (for all you Monty python fans).

I would also be cautious as to what a Nor'easter does to water temps. The water out on the oceanfront felt pretty cold to me the 'other day and it's already September. I suppose stripers will tolerate cooler temps for presence of food given they can warm up on shoals or estuaries in between strafing runs to digest and all that. Maybe the water that comes in with a NE wind is warmer than usual, I dunno.

If you do get out there in those conditions, I would be interested to hear about what you find.
Old 09-25-2000, 12:24 PM

Terry,

I'd be up for an early AM or PM run this week. Drop me an email. GregO.
Old 09-27-2000, 08:48 AM

FYI: Will be heading up to PI Thursday - arriving about 5:30.

Planning on hitting the front side first and then making my way toward the south point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.