Furled Leaders - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 AM

Furled Leaders

Just heard of them yesterday. Anyone use them? If so, what do you think of them? Do you use thread base or fishing line base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM

I use the Blue Sky furled leaders that are made from nylon mono. I like them best for trout fishing. I've tried the saltwater version on bonefish and wasn't all that impressed. The cross section is greater than on single mono so they present more of an issue in the wind. At least that's been my experience. One place I wouldn't be without one is on the tiny spring creeks here in Wisconsin. Many times when fishing these waters one has barely eight to ten feet of flyline outside the rod tip. In order to have any accuracy you need to get some load in the rod. Having the right rod, with a fairly soft tip, and a line that has enough mass in the front of the line are mandatory. For whatever reason, furled leaders seem make a big difference in accuracy in this situation. I'm guessing how limp they are compared to a single strand of nylon mono makes the difference. For those new to furled leaders, they are not the same as the braided leaders that once made some headway, and are also different from the twisted leaders now gaining popularity with saltwater flyfishers.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess my next step will be setting up a jig to build some and try them out.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 AM

Making good furled leaders is probably a major project, I would suggest buying one to see if it's worth the effort, the book mailer, Gary LaFontaine's old site sells premium furled leaders in 150 different versions, I think that would be the easy way to find out what they're about.
Jon
Old 05-23-2011, 04:01 PM

I'll sell you my factory made.
Herb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.