Keys Next Week! - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Keys Next Week!

I'm heading down to the middle keys next week for a few days of Tarpon fishing. Can't wait! Casting at Tarpon on the flats is one of my favorite ways to fish. What is usually a pretty easy 40 foot cast become the hardest cast I've ever made when a school of big poons is coming right at you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM

Fished the middle keys over the weekend. There was NO wind at all which made the flats fishing difficult. We managed to get a handfull of nice bones on Saturday. Sunday the Tarpon finally decided to eat for about 2 or 3 hours and we picked up a half dozen then they shut down for the rest of the day. Monday we ran offshore and found some nice Mahi. Awesome trip!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 PM

I just spent three weeks pursuing tarpon in the Keys and the fishing was tough. Conditions were good for the most part and on most days there were quite a few fish around, but getting them to eat was another story. We had our share of muffed casts and inept hooksets, but we also made a bunch of casts where the guide said, "Perfect cast," or "I like that one," and they just wouldn't eat. We caught several times as many last year in just two weeks and the conditions last year, although not bad, were not as good as this year.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 AM

good mornig,

i can tell the same story. around islamorada fish went not to my fly. may the have more and more fishingpressure there? i think the fish there nows the most flies

chris
Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM

I was about ready to give up on it, too. Then we had a terrific two weeks in early May last year. It seems like some years there aren't all that many fish, some years when there are lots of fish but they won't eat, and yet other years when a reasonable number of fish will eat. Also, it seems to vary by week of the year. I've had years when I came back from two weeks moaning about the fish not eating, when someone who went down a week or two later had terrific fishing. Weather often has a lot to do with that, but I couldn't complain about the weather during most of the three weeks this year. The secret with flies is to NOT use what everyone else is likely using. One way to know is the check for the empty bins at the local fly shops.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Yeah it was extremely calm when I was on the flats which I'm thinking had something to do with it. They seemed really spooky and unwilling to touch anything except a 2 hour window when they were going nuts.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM

We were fishing the backcountry for the most part, which was loaded with big (100#+) fish for a couple of days last week. There the calm is a blessing as the fish will roll and bust all day, which they did for two days. The truth is our fish weren't really spooky in the traditional sense, they just wouldn't eat. Perhaps distracted would be even a better term. I saw more daisy chaining back there than I ever can remember. The fish were so large that it's quite likely they were actually ocean fish (which are usually more interested in getting from point A to point B than eating) which decided to move to the bayside in order to "get it on." Whatever it was, they certainly weren't interested in eating during the time I was there.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM

may nightfishing makes the difference.
a guide from islamorada was fishing last friday and saturday and they had 29 for over 90 bites on tarpon in 2 nights of fishing 4-5 hrs a night.
the shrimp flush made it.
thats crazy!

chris
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM

I'd do it to if I really just HAD to land a tarpon. However, it's the process that excites me, and the process is quite a bit different with night fishing. Some guys get their tarpon fix by going to Costa Rica, but dredging for them in twenty feet of water doesn't appeal to me either. It's like I'd rather catch five nice trout on a dry fly than fifteen of them with a weighted nymph and "bobber." Or I'd rather catch one steelhead on a swung fly than five or more of them on an egg fly under a "bobber." I'm not knocking these other approaches. It's just that I prefer the former. Jake Jordan has mentioned to me more than once that I should try night fishing with him some time. Brian Horsely finally did this year and he really raved about it. I still can't bring myself to do it. Perhaps it's my loss, but I've done it both ways in the trout and steelhead examples above and there's no question in my mind which way I prefer. I'm convinced it would be the same with nighttime tarpon. By the way, I've done snook fishing at night in the same neighborhoods and not found that anything special either, so it's not a fear of the darkness. Heck, I've done a lot of nighttime hex fishing for trout and also find nighttime to be something special for bass, especially largemouths in the summer. I hope a lot of guys will begin fishing for tarpon at night as maybe they'll then be sleeping when I'm sight fishing to them during the day.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR SPEY
I hope a lot of guys will begin fishing for tarpon at night as maybe they'll then be sleeping when I'm sight fishing to them during the day.
Striped bass fishing is also EXCELLENT at night everybody
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

We were down in Big Pine Key forover a week of fishing with Lenny Moffo in April. We got skunked badly - there were no fish on the flats - no Tarpon, no Bones, no Sharks. Never seen anywhere like it. We ran for 20 miles in one go and didn't run over a single fish in the skiff.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM

sorry to hear that, I hope the weather was nice anyway. What do you think of Big Pine? I haven't spent much time west of Marathon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.