Best Advice Received - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Best Advice Received

In an effort to get some positives going again.........I am initiating this thread and hopefully we can have some positive sharing.
The thread: Best advice you ever received from someone else re fishing (esp stripers, but not limited to them specifically.........humor accepted)

I have two:
1. When I first started out not knowing my reel from my tippet and having no success what-so -ever on the flats....I met a senior gentleman who had a thick Irish brog(sp).....don't remember his name sad to say. After his watching me flail unsuccessfully for a morning, he came over and asked me if I wanted to join him. I learned more from him in 4 hrs than I did the whole previous year.
He asked me what my goal was....I answered ....to catch stripers. He said..."that is why you are not being successful....your goal should be to learn at least one new thing every time you go out...if you do that...you will catch fish"
He went on to make me aware of subtle changes in flats, current direction, swimming behavior to determine mood of fish, presentation, bait and bait behavior etc.
To date...I have tried to do this everytime I go out....actuallly learning something new is often more rewarding than catching fish....but that made be an "age thing"...I hope I never know it all...it would take 1/2 the fun out of fishing for me;
2. From Ken Mc Cray....to paraphrase because he demonstrated rather than say....pay attention to every retrieve you make, don't just aimlessly cast and retriieve...try a certain retrieve to at least 3 fish, if it doesn't work, vary the retrieve and pay attention...change fly if fish appear to be in a feeding mood and tried retrieves failed. I have yet to fish with anyone who had a higher cast to catch ratio than Ken...he studies everything and was a great role model.

Hopefully others will share........if there is interest....maybe a thread can be started on "what you have learned re striper behavior and techniques". I am sure that most of it will be "common knowledge/old hat" for most....but there are newbies out there like we were and it could be a great resource for people or simply verify that what we have seen and learned has been seen by others as well.
Much appreciated,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM

keep the fly in the water
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Learned this"oh God ;45 years ago"

Taught to me by my grandfather "take this rod ,go flair away with it ,have fun,ask questions and by all means don't give a GD about how you look or what others think,just go have fun.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
fish'n Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdrinks
keep the fly in the water
keep your fly zipped!

seriously...a great thread. I will give some thought to an appropriate post.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM
PJ Jennings

A couple of basics- which i still need to remind myself of at times
Limit your false casting to two backcasts- more time fishing less time casting.

On the boat if you cast barefoot you know when your standing on the line.

check for line twist and do something about it

PJ
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 PM

Back in 2003 out on the flats..... visit this forum
Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

"This one time at band camp..."

Good thread Paxton-

1. Salt- fly don't catch fish in the air; fly catch fish in the water.
2. Fresh and salt- spend at least as much time looking and watching as you casting.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Middle Aged Member

"Chuck it out as far as you can, feed in more line, and let it swing"

The Estey Swing (for the Monomoy pt rip)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM

1. Fish one area a lot and really learn it - don't chase after the next "hot" area.
2. To succeed at #1, spend a lot of time in an area at low tide during daytime and learn where the structure is and how it might impact fish behavior.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:10 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

"Never cast with the wind blowing against your casting shoulder"- whispered to me by the first clouser I ever bounced off the back of my head- OUCH....
Flydoc
Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Good idea for a new start.

Not really advice I've recieved but observations I have made or gathered from multiple sources about flats fishing which is what I like the best.

Always look at the bottom of a flat and see if there is evidence of life, also if it's a shallow flat that gets bare at low tide it's a good sign if there's evidence of clamming.
Pay attention to all slight changes in depth, the troughs are the travel routes the small holes can be feeding stations, if you stare down into them and see shadows moving in and out of the dark spots you're looking at fish.
When the light is bad, a lot of times all you will see is a quick flash or a hint of a dark form but if you can get a fly out quickly you'll often be rewarded.
When fishing under bright sun use no flash whatsoever.
Get a hat with a dark under brim and a bill that curves down around the sides of your polarized glasses.
Make sure your fly is sinking to the level of the fish, they'll go down, but they're
reluctant to come up.
Learn to deliver the fly quickly and on target, practice making casts with only one backcast out to sixty feet of so.

Nothing here for veterans but for people getting started flats fishing it's the stuff I find important.
Jon
Old 04-27-2011, 04:08 PM

These are great..........must admit I have been very guilty of too many of them...especially leaving fish to find fish......duh!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for the contributions, am looking forward to more.
The flats contribution is of personal interest to me as that what I do 90% of the time...there are so many little keys to being more successful....maybe if those of us who do primarily flats fishing, we can expand on what has already been written.
It be interesting to find out if we are seeing the same patterns and variables, not to mention ones we were not aware of.
Ron
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Thumbs up

as this is only my seventh year, I have recieved a heap of advice (much of it from here !)

the best advice I've had was to sit and watch the water before you tye on a fly.

Stevo (Binckesy) advised me that if you're catching in one spot, to change your fly occasionally to up your catch rate, and present something new to the fish - i find that works in both fresh and salt.

I also got good advice from Craig - CSJ60 about beach fishing, use straight through 20lb tippet and don't worry about the fly colour too much. if the fish are there, they are hungry.

Always watch the water carefully when walking the beach to/from a spot

also, on foggy or cloudy days big fish may run right along the beach, so try to hit those - even in late July/early August.

buy and use good glasses. keep a spare in the car. and a towel.

A new piece of advice that I was given this year was - why drive for 75 miles south in July and August when you should be driving 75 miles NORTH to the cooler water.

Ipswich, NH and Maine will see my fly line this summer

cheers

Mark.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 PM

http://www.stripermoon.com/

This discussion gave me a different perspective about fishing the salt and striper behavior in general. I do that more now than ever before and I definitely learn something every time I am out there. I do not quote these words as sacred, but many posts so far are expressing a similar theme. Tight lines. It won't be long now.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Juro.....a question...is there a vehicle available on this site in which these contributions/observations/techniques/facts etc. could be organized and placed in some sort of "reference guide"/ file?

I don't feel that this material should be lost once the thread is done. Maybe it could be titled "Striper Facts for Beginners and The Experienced"...or whatever other title you or others may suggest.

Once this thread has run it's course, I would be willing to make a list of all the contributions received and categorize them by:
- Philosophical
- Humerous
- General
- Flats facts
- Equipment
- Surf (if we get some)
- Blind fishing techniques (ditto)
- Rips (double ditto)
- etc...........there may be more categories ...just an example of what might be possible.

I know I would review it (I've picked up at least 4 to 5 things so far myself) and it made me think and examine what I do...would be a good general resource for those just starting out as well.

Even better would be if folks could either add to it themselves or send their contribution in to be added to the appropriate section.

Just a thought.
Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.