Redefining "Moderation" - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Redefining "Moderation"

This all came about years ago when the feature was introduced into the forum software and the whole phenomena of on-line discussion was exploding.

However it was never defined as to what it was i.e. it's purpose, benefits and limitations.

While staring at bonefish flats, I will come up with a new definition of what "moderator" means and post it. Then if anyone wants to do it great.

Otherwise, I will kill the idea as I think it's become an anachronism.

If you have thoughts on this, reply to this thread and I will read when I can. I'm told there is wireless on the island.

best,
Juro
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Exclamation

Off topic but watch out, roaming rules have changed in the Bahamas regardless of your domestic carrier. I used my phone for less than half a day earlier this year with very little data usage. I checked a couple of text only emails, downloaded two small google maps and three phone calls totaling less than 10 minutes. It added $325 to my bill! I was able to fight it and win but it took hours to get everything squared away. I've heard many similar horror stories since then and there is pending legal action over it as well.

The fix is to make sure you have the proper international plan with your carrier before you go. You can cancel the international option upon your return.

I know this is the wrong place for this so feel free to move my post. I don't want to take an important thread off topic but I felt it was important to mention.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:40 PM

I was flattered to be nominated "moderator" for the sea run slot. I take responsibility to read all threads posted there and reply as I feel necessary. People have been exceedingly polite and I cannot remember ever having to pull the plug on anyone. I'd continue in this fashion ad infinitum. No sweat.

As an aside, I think it wise to keep politics out of the Forum. The trombone forum to which I belong has a very active political sub-forum, and, while fascinating for me to read, does change my perception of people greatly once I know their politics. Better to keep this out of the equation.

I don't have enough fishing buddies as it is.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 04-26-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the warning Dave - I will definitely set up the international temp plan and stay off the airwaves. In fact I will pack the Garmin to avoid temptation to use the google maps droid apps while there. They were fantastic out on the Olympic Peninsula this winter, in the middle of the rain forest!

Eric - if I lived within striking distance of the Oregon streams you would have a fishing buddy every day off! Still dreaming about my visit.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 PM

I just did a multi-year review of the moderator thing across all the boards, what the expectations are (if at all defined), and what role it provides. What important benefit it provides to the cause of flyfishing enjoyment, education and benefit to the cause (e.g. Big Brothers). Came up blank, even for my own mod assignments.

Perhaps if we had a firm policy like "must post a new thread twice a week to keep things interesting" it would be useful. However most haven't done that in years and I doubt anyone would be interested in enforcing, or abiding. It's not practical and in a nutshell, useless. There is no correlation between those who are moderators and those who keep things interesting with new topics.

Anyway - moderation is a solution looking for a problem, and I have disabled it across the boards.

FYI
Old 04-27-2011, 05:18 AM
fish'n Hobo

I think the role of a moderator is just to be a manager.

So what is a good manager? A good manager creates a situation where the contributions of the members have a synergism. Where the total effect becomes more than the individual input.

In my opinion....there should not be leaders or followers.... everyones view point is as valid as the next. (there was/is a flytying forum headed by a very strong personality with very strong opinions on the subject...pretty scary)

Egos and forcing ones opinion on another is what will kill a forum. Also lack of respect for anothers viewpoint. A moderator cannot have these qualities.

A fine edge indeed... to keep things interesting, but not be overbearing

my 2 cents...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:19 AM

Jim Miller,
Very well put.
Jon
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Jim, you hit it!!! Tough to do but sometimes very necessary.
Pete
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 AM

"everyones view point is as valid as the next."

Ditto Jim...very well said!

There was a time when folks openly shared opinions, information, techniques on retrieves, flies used etc and the typical response was one of thanks and or open sharing of alternatives.

The last couple of years the 'tone" of responses to innocent posts has been too often met with criticism, put downs, one up-manship, caustic responses, making folks feel ignorant.........not to even mention criticisms on typos..........I have no idea why this has changed. It appears that sometimes one "posts at their own risk". There is a lot of trepidation to post out there...it is not just "over-sensitive me".

Hopefully what I write will be viewed validly as a love and respect of this web site and a desire for it to return to one of civility and respect for anyone making a contribution, asking a question for the 10th time, for a newbie who asks a common question, offering an opinion or observation whether it is backed up by 15 yrs of research and scientific testing or not.

I was initiated to this site about 8 years ago when I was a newbie salt FF and found it extremely helpful and suppportive. I made many friends on the water and learned a great deal, due to this site..........thus my desire for a return to what was the original "tone".
Not sure why some have to make WWIII out of a post on "flats boots" for example.

If anyone agrees with this, our options are:
1. make a personal committment to be positive and respect others who post
2. read the site, don't post and if one has something to contribute, pm the person who started the thread
3. reply to any post that is disrespectful of another member with "good shot, you successfully hit your target"
4. give up trying to be a contributor.

Personally, I am not yet ready for #4.
Maybe if we "police" ourselves, those of us who desire what was...will become...IS.
Respectfully submitted,
Ron

PS: Please forgive any typos if they exist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.