NEW DANIELSSON LXW REELS - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:55 PM

NEW DANIELSSON LXW REELS

Danielsson has introduced new reels LXW 6-9 and LXW 8-12. The largest LXW 11-14 will most likely be lunched in later time.

The size , capacity and spools of new reels are identical to that of L5W 6-9 and L5W 8-12 respectively.

They are about 1 oz heavier then the corresponding L5W reels and instead drag knob, entire outside frame rotates about 300 degree and act a very large drag knob.

I am attaching a few photos of disassembled 8-12 model and drag package, which can be adjusted at 5 levels.

The 8-12 reel comes form the factory set at level 4 range ( min. is enough light to prevent spool overturn ). Level 4 provides at max. drag position about the same resistance as old HD reel ( 10-11 lb) . At level 2 the range is similar to old LW 8-12 and at level 5, max. tension make turning spool with a hand near impossible.
The drag package consist of multiple stainless steel place and super smooth and friction resistant composite material rings.

I do have an excess to few reels at the moment at a very attractive price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Salmo -

I am PSYCHED to field test the 6-9 on my single hander and the 8-12 on my two-hander this season.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 AM

Question AND?????????????????

So what is the price on the reels you have,Salmo?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 AM

Actually the back frame rotates about 200 degree not 300 as I reported earlier.
In case of a standard drag knob like on H5D or L5W reels, if an angler is holding the rod in a right hand and retrieve a line with a left one, to adjust the drag tension the left hand has to band under reel to reach the drag.

In the case of LXW, the frame/super large drag knob can be move the same way we would palm the spool rim. In this case top finder are extended to back frame.

Since the drag can be pre-set up to level 5, there is no fresh or saltwater water creature which can not be stopped, may be with the exception of sperm whale.....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Salmo,
Hi.

At an ounce heavier than the L5W why would I want one of these i/o of the H5D - IF I wanted a heavier reel??
Herb
Old 04-27-2011, 09:26 AM

Did I have ever say that an extra 1 oz. in weight is the reason to get the reel???

Looking back at my post I can not find such statement you made.

I have spent a bit of time explaining how the rear frame of the spool act as a large drag knob so the drag tension adjustment is much easier !!!

Cheers,

Zb

In case of a standard drag knob like on H5D or L5W reels, if an angler is holding the rod in a right hand and retrieve a line with a left one, to adjust the drag tension the left hand has to band under reel to reach the drag.

In the case of LXW, the frame/super large drag knob can be move the same way we would palm the spool rim. In this case top finder are extended to back frame.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Salmo,
I'm still having a prob visualizing how one would activate the drag knob (frame) with the spool side hand. It seems to me that you would be rotating the spool.
Herb
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM

Loop at the third photo from the top. The lower part on the photo has a shaft in the middle and is screwed on the main frame ( the top part of the third photo. One assembled
it looks like on the photo #2. If you look at the top photo you will see a small space.
That part with shaft rotate 180 degree independently form the spool so you can move it with the top fingers of you retrieving hand.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM

Sorry,
I have to have it in my hands.
Herb
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 PM

The photo shows the reel from the back. What you see that may be a small drag knob is actually fix decorative knob.
You can see inside star which belongs to main frame mounted to the reel seat via reel foot and the external star which is part of an external rotating part ( lower part on third photo).
It rotates 180 degree and act as a huge drag knob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XLW_group_shop.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	7165  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.