P.I. 8/2 eve - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2000, 08:29 AM

P.I. 8/2 eve

Grego and I tested out a new fishing MO last night. It's called: "sneak up to P.I. on a weeknight after supper".
Works well. Fishing was slow. We saw only a few twinks landed at the bottom of the tide. We fished into darkness only to be rewarded with the sound o' crickets. Surprising how many other people were fishing there and boats too.
The one event that got my blood pumping was when it was almost dark. I was wading off of that new 2nd sandbar over to the main sandbar through knee high troughs and riffles. All of a sudden bait jumps around and a few splashs.
I started casting to it knowing some striper is feeding in very shallow water. Nothing. Then I see a bass tailing, big tail comes up..yow...a cast right on top of it....and a big tug...and gone. That made the trip worth it. BTW I was using Roops Olive Bend back sort of thingy fly.

TerryW

ps. BTW-Grego saw my $10 duffle bag from Walmart and was amazed. Run- do not walk- and get one, or you'll be kicking yourself when you see them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2000, 10:26 AM

RE:P.I. 8/2 eve

Yes, It was quite slow at PI. It seemed to be a very fishey evening, quiet, foggy, minus tide, etc. Too bad the fish did not think so! Due to the extremely low tide we did get to walk out on the second bar (down river of the first bar), which is usually covered with a few feet of water & a big current. We saw a fly guy hookup at the tip of this bar rip. Terry went out to give it a try, but I chickened out & went back to the main bar before the tide turned & it got dark. I talked to some bait guys & they said things had been verry slow with only a few hookups & nothing above the low twenties. It was a great way to spend an evening; the only thing better would have been a twinky or two to break the skunk.

Those Walmart bags remind me of the $40+ bags that the Hockey kids use to carry their hockey gear. I'm going out tonight to get two; one for SWFF & one for boat gear! GregO.
Old 08-08-2000, 11:35 AM

RE:P.I. 8/2 eve

Terry,

Sorry I missed you guys. I did get the cell phone message but didn't call you back. I checked the voice mail by the time you guy's were already there. Plus I was there the day before 8/1 4-7:30 P.M. picked up some schoolies and lost a nicer fish I didn't land. I then fished the Hampton Beachfront on the incoming from 11:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M. Was too toasted to fish the next day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.