Attention: Bobbin Headz... [you know who you are!] - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Attention: Bobbin Headz... [you know who you are!]

The J-Bobbin...
From the Brightest Spot on the Darkest Continent... 'worth a look... here's my first day impression...

For the sake of comparison, consider a C&F bobbin and my right hand...
to get the bobbin tube to somewhat parallel the hook shaft requires some wrist / hand alignment effort while winding on thread...
'standard ops... 'been there, done that, NO biggie! NICE bobbin!

Jay Smit [as in the original J-Vise, NOT the knock off] has taken the hook shaft/wrist/hand mechanics into account and attempted to make the process more ergonomic and comfortable... IMHO: He has succeeded!
Sort'a reminds me of the curious offset pliers that Orvis sells for easy hook access and removal from deep in a fish's mouth...

There is a knurled spool tension adjustment screw that applies fairly constant and controlled pressure on the base of the thread spool...
I'm accustomed to regulating thread tension by "palming the spool" but, with a little practice, I could easily get used to this "set and forget" approach...

The thread comes off the spool and passes over the edge of the nicely rounded and highly polished stainless steel tension arm... friction seems minimal and the fine mono thread that I frequently use had NO issues...
There were NO instructions... threading was easy and intuitive and I suspect that if the thread did not pass under the tension bar, it could still go directly from the spool into the polished steel tube but "under" the support seemed intuitive and correct...
Regarding the TUBE: I don't believe it's ceramic, but it's VERY smooth and has NOT been an issue...

The balance is very nice and when I remove my thumb from the equation, the bobbin rests comfortably in my fingers...
and the length of the bobbin tube is plenty adequate for large phlyz on long shank hooks...
I've tyed several salt water patterns using 1/0 Signature Series Tarpon and feel right at home and appreciate the thought given to this interesting and very comfortable design.

It only arrived this morning and I already feel very comfortable with it in hand...
Wraps are precise and predictable...
IMHO: I don't see any problem "bobbin spinning" or splitting thread for dubbing applications...
My salt water tying is much less technical than tiny fresh water bugz but it is demanding with regard to robust design and expected performance...
The design certainly caught my eye... For my needs, it performs as good as it feels! I have J-Vise #499 and have NO REGRETS... 'same here!
I'm a long time Norlander Automatic Bobbin user and, when I tye really small delicate patterns with ultra-fine thread, I use and enjoy Faruk Ekich's Ultimate Bobbin very much... both kinetic sculptures and tools for life...
ALL great tools and all feed my enthusiasm, to be sure...
This new arrival looks and feels VERY promising...
I'm absolutely comfortable with the well thought out angles and design and the performance rivals Jay's other noteworthy technical accomplishments...

Thanks' for the opportunity to share my latest JayMeister "Durban Discovery"...
I enjoy the feel and performance of good tools and this one did NOT disappoint !...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 11:58 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Thumbs up

Day 2:
'Feels very natural in the hand and the wraps are precise and easily controlled...
The tube is seamless 316 surgical stainless steelium [not quite but almost unobtainium]... NO issues...
regarding: price and availability... 'still waiting for that info from Jay [who said something about going on a fishing trip]...
This is, essentially, a prototype...
I understand that Jay only made 10 for starters and I suspect that he is going to get feedback before he starts cranking 'em out...
He does things well and right and this is no exception...
'news to follow... when I hear something noteworthy, I'll pass it on...
'Best to check his web site for updates...
inthemeantime... I'm likin' it a lot!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Does Scott carry these? I'll give one a spin (pun intended)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

R & D... a work in progress...

Currently made of almost 99.9% Unobtainium...
It is, arguably, one of the few things that Scott doesn't carry and can't order... YET...
Jay made a run of only ten... I showed an interest and received one to play with...
They are on his "to do" list and, after some feedback and tweeeeking, he will start a production run...
I was lucky enough to get a prototype and I do like the way it feels and will have it available for a Spring Clave test ride...
I can see a few others bobbins angularly evolving once this gets out n' about...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.