One man's schedule - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2000, 05:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

One man's schedule

I will be at the big girl bar enjoying the ocean 'bouquet' (as BobP Jr calls it) at first light. The pursuit will take me past noon reading the tides, so I'll drop in a little late at the Jambo provided I get satisfaction at the bar. Fishing comes first this time of year.

From there, I'd hit the Brewster flats but the low tide is weak and after a lunch I won't be able to outrun a coming tide on the flats, so I'll probably mess around on Nauset for the evening. No crickets for me.

If I get lucky and can stay Saturday night, I'll hit somewhere quick and easy before grabbing a Monomoy Cafe' espresso and making the ride to spend the rest of the long weekend with family. Long for them, I gotta work.

I think we'll have some special guests from further down the coast, who will most likely join us Saturday.

Kinda mild schedule for a Columbus Day weekend... how about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2000, 05:14 PM

RE:One man's schedule

Reading thru the threads, I see that John Morin, Bigcat, GregO, Al, and I'll bet Fred - will be bellyin' at the bar.

We can discuss PM strategies there I guesss. Wind, weather and fish considered of course.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:46 PM
Middle Aged Member

Alas, this weekend is looking sparse as far as quality fishing time goes. With a birthday party Sunday and a wedding Monday, I also need time to catch up on some chores.
But, I do have to provide chauffer service for my aunt from Dennis to RI Sunday. So I may sneak down late Saturday afternoon and fish either the Bass River or Sesuit then get up Sunday for a couple of hours at the bar before heading to RI for the party. My take is that on the incoming I'd want to head left towards the rock pile. Right?

The wedding on Monday is in Newport so for chuckles I think I'll leave my gear in the car.

In any event best of luck with the weekend.

Regards,
Fred A.
Old 10-05-2000, 08:52 PM
President of CAC

Juro.. you got it right... I will be at the light house at dawn on Saturday and then may catch a shuttle but may also walk the ocean side of south beach... the evening might bring me back to the light house or Nauset. But I will look for you Saturday am and may join along with any group decision to go elsewhere. I like the idea of the expresso at the Monomoy Cafe. great little place and the best blueberry muffins.
Old 10-06-2000, 06:51 AM
Middle Aged Member

Ref. previous post: "My take is that on the incoming head right to the rock pile" should be "head left". Got to figure out how to modify a post.

Fred A.

Figured it out. Now how do I delete this message. Sorry.
Old 10-06-2000, 09:12 AM

I can be there at sun up. A quick question showing my complete lack of experience at that spot; how does this area fish on the incoming tide?
Old 10-06-2000, 10:16 AM

Just as they back off on the ebb, they run like blitzing linebackers (how appropriate of a metaphor!) on to the sand eel grounds as the water lets them.

If we use the Brewster Flats as the example... first thing to note is where the bait is. If it's out on Billingsgate, things are slow on the flats but the boats are slamming them. If the bait's on the flats, the shore schlepper is king.

At low tide, the fish bide time in 'holes' or rove along what we call the 'blue line' at the outer edge of the flats. Even at dead low we find them there by boat, sometimes gathered by the hundreds. They are not as eager to eat then, but because there are so many there's always a fish to take the fly.

Once the tide starts to flood, the fish go screaming onto the freshly flooded flats where sand eels are popping up and all kinds of bait is trapped. The stripers seem to know that it's allright to go as far inshore as they want, kind of like us fishing the outgoing and feeling good about wading deeper. On Brewster flats, this first 90 minutes of flood can be mind-boggling fishing but also very dangerous. That's when people get trapped out there.

Monomoy is a great example of this flood phenomenon, all kinds of fish come back onto the flats with the flood. Knowing where cruise is most of the battle.

At this time they are eating actively and the best approach is to stake out traveling lanes and bait-rich shoals. The game at Monomoy is to know these routes on the flood or know the holes on the drop.

As the tide tops-off they could end up trapping bait in a bowl, against some rocks - in which case we get a shoreline blitz. With all that open water they could also chase bait all over creation, which is what we see a lot too (much to our chagrin).

As the tide ebbs they face into the current and feed as they back out to deep water. South Beach, Big girl, need we say more?

During the main outflow push, many fish feed on the bait being flushed out of the food rich estuary hanging outside the jetties. This is when I've had the best luck on Nantucket sound near river mouths for instance.

Once the tide bottoms out they will bide time in their 'hole', and if you know where some of these are (like a few we know out on Monomoy, Brewster, Merrimac River, etc) the fishing can be outstanding at low tide.

There, I've just revealed the foundation of my shore guiding strategy in intertidal zones. Add wind direction, presence of bait, and recent reports to the mix and the encounter with good fish is likely; then top it off with the right flies and presentations, a little patience and a whole lot of luck and most importantly - think unconventionally. Don't know about you but nearly all of my best techniques go against the grain of conventional thinking, some a little some a lot.

So you tell me - where do we fish on the flood?
Old 10-06-2000, 10:42 AM

So, for the early part of the flood, work the flats & bars (off to the right). As the tide gets higher work the bowl. I looked over to the left, but did not walk over. There appeared to more stucture (rocks, etc.), but I could not tell what the flow was like from the distance. Maybe I'll have to get there at 3:30 AM & work the entire incoming, but that may not be wise alone?

Last weekend, Al & I were very impressed with two things. (1) the immense size of the bowl & (2) the force of the current that flows out of there, especially around 1/2 ebb.
Old 10-06-2000, 09:51 PM

WIFE REPRIEVE - WOO WOO!

Don't know who'll read this at this point, but I plan on being at the light before light.

Cell phone is 508.380.8890
Old 10-06-2000, 10:33 PM
i'm so outta here

Mike,

Even though this post says Al_D it's GregO. Looks like our paths WILL cross this weekend. Heading out around 4:30; I'll give your cell phone a ring in the AM. Mo-Mo Cows !!
Old 10-08-2000, 09:19 AM

Wife gave me the go-ahead...

...daughter didn't (croop).

Had all my stuff together and heading out the door when I hear that seal-like cough...unreal. Got alot done around the house though, so...

I can fish as much as I want next weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.