Cape Patterns? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
resigned

Cape Patterns?

After viewing Pete's creations over and over (thanks Pete!) I spent some time looking in my Cape Cod fly boxes wondering what's missing. Outside of the usual deep eels and baby bunker patterns the thought of herring has eluded me and I need to get back on the vise. It would be kind of neat to see what else is out there. What are your "Go to" patterns guys and could you post photos and tying instructions. The Spring Clave is coming up soon and it should be fun to see what others have favored and the areas in which those patterns excel. For instance, inside Bass River vs. outside on the flats. I know, it's all about the food available at the time but when you can't get a handle on what that food is, what would you throw? Here is one of my favorites tied with Flash N' Slinky called Bear's Bunker. It has served me well over the last two years everywhere.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	7123  
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey Phil - winters almost over eh?

Spring time most fish are willing to eat any fly, with the exception of those stealthily following herring into the rivers, fixed on 5 pound shad, gorging on late May foot-long squid or looking for body temp moderation in cold spells. In general though if it looks edible a spring striper will chomp it.

Summer time is another story, especially for fish in the 36" + class who have seen it all and have been hooked perhaps several times if not more in a lifetime. Then there's consideration for what they're doing at any given tide, the same fish will gulp a 6" sand eel on one phase that will ignore it in another. I can say this small fact is true with hundreds of hours of proof under my wader belt.

The question, in my opinion, is which fly to fling (specific to the scenario) when fickle fish get finicky. (Dr.Seuss could make a good book out this)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
resigned

Thanks Juro. It's springtime on the Cape and the guy next to me is hooking fish on every other cast. I am not. He shows me something I've never seen, hands me his pattern and it still doesn't work! It's not always about the fly. It's about how the gut next to me is fishing it. In that case I was instructed to allow the entire intermediate line to be stripped along the bottom. Pay dirt! Switched back to the fly I was using and got instant hookups. While any fly will work during the Clave I'm more interested in seeing what I've never tied. Vise time will keep me busy. More cold days ahead. The vise has been idle. I hope this thread will get some of us back on the tying table. I also hope to have a March striper very soon.

Phil
Old 03-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well I've said this ad nauseum but Juro's rules of precedence...

1) presence of fish
2) mood of fish
3) presentation
4) fly

in that order, but all are important!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 AM
resigned

Good stuff Juro! Back to the thread and #4. If you will be attending the Spring Clave and wish to share fly preferences for those in need, what will be the fly of choice on the end of that tippet? It will be interesting to see what appears before the fly swap.

Phil
Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM

I like to have squid flies if in the rips in spring and early summer on the cape. They'll hit these all season but I especially like them that time of year. also some darker colored sandeel flies for places like bass river and stage. The bait can be really dark colored in the early part of the season.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Fly chucker

Ditto on the squid flies, especially for boat fishermen who can get out to some of the rips like Bishop and Clerks on the south side. Some of those stipers can be holding just under the surface like trout in a stream....an impressive sight for sure!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
resigned

That's what I'm talking about. Keep um coming! With pics if possible.

Phil
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM

Do you fish Bishop and Clerks a lot in the Spring? I've only fished it a couple times but the water temps are perfect there in the spring. I consider running over there a lot but always seem to stay in the harbor or run to Monomoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Ditto on the squid flies, especially for boat fishermen who can get out to some of the rips like Bishop and Clerks on the south side. Some of those stipers can be holding just under the surface like trout in a stream....an impressive sight for sure!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Small chartreuse deceivers,clousers and half & halfs work very well in the spring. But I,m sure you knew that already. One of my favorites is a plain old deceiver, (I usually use brown and white or, what else, chartreuse) tied with long, thin hackles. It's not as long as most flat wings but it does have a snakey look when you strip it.

Dan
Old 03-24-2011, 05:21 AM
fish'n Hobo

Throw in some Herring flys when that bait is around. Some years Adult Bunker are around in abundance too! BIG flys....Big fish!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Clave time flies.

If your refering to what flies to be used around clave time what I use in the waters around the Cape Cod Canal including Barnstable Harbor area are as follows:Mackerel up to 12",Blue back Herring 10"-12",Alewifes 8",Sea Herring 6-8" and Menhaden(Bunker) up to 12" and Sand eels 4-8".Eel flies in the dark during an ebbing tide in the cape cod Bay creeks. In june if your lucky you can sometimes run into schools of juvi sea herring up to 3-4"any Peanut bunker type fly will match.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Also

at one time good size squid flies would be on the list ,unfortunately squid have been scarce along the south shore of the cape in the spring, I used to fish squid flies exclusively from West Falmouth down along Nobska and along all the beaches and salt pond entrances all the way to Hyannis.It's been to many years since this has been a reliable fishery.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdrinks
Do you fish Bishop and Clerks a lot in the Spring? I've only fished it a couple times but the water temps are perfect there in the spring. I consider running over there a lot but always seem to stay in the harbor or run to Monomoy.
Yes, the water warms up there well in the spring and I run out there as part of my usual circuit. I live in CT, but when I have the boat up on the Cape for a few days at that time of year I make a point of checking it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
resigned

Bear's Bunker

Here is the recipe for tying a pattern that has worked really well for me over the last two seasons. Scroll down to Bear's Bunker and click on the video of my good friend Paul Dinice
in action on the vise. Just a great fly! Easy to tie. Be sure and tie them small and increase hook size and length from there. I add a little Softex or a loop for antifouling.

Phil

http://tightlinesflyfishing.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.