Rivers closed, can't fish - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Rivers closed, can't fish

So now I take pictures;

I have been trying to get this guy's mug for a couple of weeks now

Usually Heron are a bit spooky. While walking the lower Skagit this one landed not 50 feet from me and allowed me to shoot away

A nice surprise. A couple of Herrier Hawks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

wow - amazing pics!

what camera are you using?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Hey Kerry, sorry to hear that your rivers are closed already, but what else is new in Washington State. Best thing we ever did was leave the place. Great pics, I want to know what camera and lense. Would love to get Tracy a really good camera. Come on down and fish sometime and great pics you have a lot of patience to get birds like that.
Steve
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Thanks for the compliments. Got to do something to stay outdoors so shooting pics is what I do until some fishing opens up. Could be a trip or two made to the dry side for Columbia trib steelhead soon.

I was using a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 150-500mm lens. Shots were made at 500mm handheld. Sigma’s optic stabilization technology is pretty good.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks Kerry,
Kind of funny but that is the camera that I have been looking at for Tracy.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
resigned

OC. You have a PM. Take a look at the replacement D7000 (currently) for the D90. It is hard to find in stock due to it's popularity. Better sensor and low light shutter speeds.

Phil
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Agree with bonefishmon. The D7000 is a lot more camera than the 90. I want one but I am going to wait because Nikon made a major change in thier sensors with the D7000 using a 16.2 megapixel CMOS sensor. This is a major shift for Nikon and I wonder what they have planned for a D300 replacement.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Steelheading for the Birds?

Nice shots Kerry!! I especially like that heron - every once in awhile you'll get one that's not camera shy. Not often, but enought to keep trying.

Yeah, rivers closed around here sucks. Either gotta go poach the fish that Juro missed on the OP or head east. I don't think I've got enuf Goat in me to even try fishing the Hood.

Juro - sorry I missed you last trip bud. Maybe we'll have to meet at that ol' ho down south if the levels ever drop - it should be good in March.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I forgot how hot winter steelhead can be when hooked! After nearly ripping the rod out of my hands it frothed the water, peeled the drag, did a couple of aerial cartwheels, then ran helter skelter around the pool then shot down the throat of the current and thankfully stopped. I recovered the line, and my hopes but then it decided to run right at me at lightspeed and got my line into a boulder pile a couple of rod lengths from the shore. I hate that feeling of reeling as fast as I can feeling nothing on the end of the line but knowing it was running upriver because the line was flapping in the wind. Then it went tight, too tight. I could still feel it pulling through the rocks so tried to massage it out but the leader finally shredded on the rocks as the fish thrashed underwater.

I thought I heard the eagle laughing. Round two... coming up...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Great shots; thanks for posting!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Thumbs up Bit of a drive, but you can fly into Medford, Oregon.

Rogue River Winter Steelhead fishing is just kicking into high gear. As you come in for landing you fly right over the river. Once you've cleared the airport .... you'll be putting on your waders 10 minutes later.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans
Rogue River Winter Steelhead fishing is just kicking into high gear. As you come in for landing you fly right over the river. Once you've cleared the airport .... you'll be putting on your waders 10 minutes later.
I grew up on that river and caught my first steelhead on the Rogue. There is a reason I don't live there anymore. 1st, deadford sucks. I know I don't need to live in deadford. 2nd, and the main reason, they ruined the rivers by plugging them up with concrete. Sorry, but I have been back once and seen that giant piece of crap they built on the Rogue and almost puked. How sad. I have never seen the Applegate since they ruined it and I don't ever plan on it. Sorry again, but you can keep both of them. I will likely never fish them again.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 AM

Exclamation Just "pretty good?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryS

I was using a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 150-500mm lens. Shots were made at 500mm handheld. Sigma’s optic stabilization technology is pretty good.
WOOZER!

I would have used the word 'amazing!' A copy of those should be sent to National Geographic for publication.

Vis a vis the 'dams' on the Applegate and Rogue, there's just one left on each. On the Rogue there's 157 miles of free flowing river year around; doubt the Applegate would be more than a trickle of water come August.

Just thoughts.

Fred

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.