Off Chatham, 9-30 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2000, 08:58 PM

Off Chatham, 9-30

Septembers blessings were upon us today as we wrapped up a great month of fishing with a trip off Chatham S.Beach. I fished with Juro giving a change of pace from his usual shore-bound tactics. Making the cut at S.Beach/S.Monomoy we were greeted with an enormous ocean swell surging in from the NE. This made some of the bars off S.Monomoy unfishable as there were wave breaking at times 3 - 400 yds off the beach. But that meant there were also holes in between those bars and some of those edges held very nice fish. When we set up there were fish breaking right on top which turned out to be 3-4-# bluefish. They took our first fly donations quickly, then we had fun with some surface patterns protected by wire. Once the second pod of blues passed by we moved closer to the beach to explore the bottom part of the water column. For the first three hours we were into fish from 28" to 38" constantly. Juro had one tremendous cow follow his deep sandeel fly right to boatside before casually turning away. The fish was so large that at first Juro thought it was two fish following the fly...
We began seeing some surface action that was convincingly tuniod and began to pursue the small pods that were cruising by the beach. A couple of near misses identified them as bonito but alas, there was no joy for us. Decided to try along Highbank where I had been successful over the past two weeks. Set up on our first drift and within 15 minutes we have three hookups with none landed and then they were gone again. The se were albies and they were cruising along the beach and crashing bait along the edges of the turbid water in the outwash. last good chance we had was a pod that broke no more than 15' off the stern of the boat. I was lucky enough to have a fly ready to cast and dropped it (rather neatly I might add) right in front of them. As Juro and I both watched, three albies turned towards the fly, I twitched it once and the lead dog crashed it. Unfortunately it then ran directly under the boat and came off before I could get the rod to the other side..... It was still a great visual. After that we just couldn't find 'em.
The Chatham fishery this summer has been nothing short of spectacular and it looks like it's going to finish on a strong note....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2000, 09:17 PM

RE:Off Chatham, 9-30

Bob/Juro:

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Nothing like chasing 3-4 species in the same morning! You're absolutely right the SE corner of the Cape has really been THE place. However, we have had many good days on the South side, N. Shore, B-Bay & CC-Bay. Hopefully the Outer Cape & Rhodey will be equally gracious this fall!!

I must say that I'm glad I left the boat home today. My guests really enjoyed the grilled striper. I'm exausted & a little buzzed (4 Fuzzy Navels). Al & I started at 2:00 AM fishing our local B-Bay spots with 1 schoolie & a few break offs to show for it. BUT, The trip to the Light was well worth it. The sunrise was awesome. There was so much bird action that it looked like God had applied a big Pepper shaker to the horizon.

Juro, thanks again for the pattern, they rocked. I hope you got a few laughs out of my adrenaline & sleep deprived voice mail. Sorry, we could not get your gear back to you, but we kept a fish & had no cooler or ice so we had to get on the road.
Old 10-01-2000, 09:26 AM
i'm so outta here

Birds aside, you two are every bit God's pepper shaker! Sounds like a very spicey day out on the water. Glad to hear there are still some tunoids around!

Hope to see you both at the Jamboree next weekend. I think we are looking at the 21st for Rhody. Bob, are you planning to attend?

What a Fall season, ay?
Old 10-01-2000, 07:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Happiness...

Double Happiness...

I can't thank you enough for your generosity. It's nice to see the other side of the pounding surf once in a while! All I can say is, you guys got it made... a little spoiled even

I sold my 17' center console when we moved from Seattle and I've been a shore guy ever since.

One slight correction Bob, not that it matters BUT - that giant cow turned away from one of my ezbody sand eels, NOT the deep eel - in fact right after that I cut it off and tied on my very last deep eel and fished it for the rest of the day, catching the one in the picture and all the fish for the rest of the day on the one fly. I thought the rest of the day (if I only had the right fly on at the time!) I hung the diss'ed fly on your foam visor pad next to the one-eyed silcone bluefish teaser with the delaminated wire tippet. Funny how fast the first ones were chomped off and the last one I had survived the rest of the day, even hooked two albies on it!

What a blast, I'm relieved that I can still enjoy shore fishing after a banner day like that. This morning's 35" from the beach saved me from running to Nauset Marine on the way home to pick up boat thus assuring nuptial ruin for life!

Thanks again,

Juro
Old 10-01-2000, 08:16 PM

Wow, I'm really impressed with that camera. (Particulary how it could magnify those 20" schoolies!)
Old 10-02-2000, 06:19 AM

Bob/Juro:

Looks like a great day was had out there. Where do you launch your boat down there and what weather conditions would you look for to take someone out in a wheelchair.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10-02-2000, 07:32 AM

The two places I launch in Chatham. Oyster river ramp off Barn Hill Rd gives you access to Stage Harbor side. (Paved ramp but a shallow pitch, at high tide I have to bury the car and still winch the boat up most of the way onto the trailer) Or Ryders Cove which gives you access from Pleasant Bay. E.mail me for a phone number and I'll be happy to discuss the variables you need to consider.
Another choice is further West in Harwichport. Saquetucket (sp) Harbor has an excellent all-tide ramp, good parking & bathrooms. If I remember the dock is HC accessible. Gets crazy during the Chatham tuna bite and it's about a 5 mile run to get to Stage Harbor to the east, 7.5 miles to get to the Monomoy point rip. More travel time but more flexibility.
Old 10-02-2000, 09:54 AM

Bob,
Thanks for posting those Launch points. Since our boats have similar size & draft, I really pay attention to the places what you can launch from. GregO.
Old 10-02-2000, 10:13 AM

I'm beggining to understand why Bob named his boat "Double Happiness"- 2guys fishing, man at the helm always puts you on fish-2 smiles. Good going Bob, Juro had some great tales to tell on Sunday.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.