A Description of New England.... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

A Description of New England....

by John Smith, Captain and Admiral:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/etas/4/

For curious natives of this region, avid historians, and our English brethren here and back in "the old country". It was not until I came across this (published in 1616, but based on Captain John Smith's exploration of the New England coast in 1614) that I was fully aware of Captain Smith's journey to these shores, and of the fact that this pamphlet is where the name "New England" was first put to print for mass publication. While it is still apparently up for debate as to whether Captain Smith himself coined the phrase (or simply took credit for it), the association between this region and this man (most famous for his reported association with Native American princess Pocahontas during his tenure at the Jamestown settlement in present day Virginia) is quite fascinating. Of particular interest is the list on page 3 (you need to view the pdf file of the pamphlet using Adobe Acrobat Reader), listing the "old" and proposed "new" names of geographical features and towns in the area. Fortunately the "new" name for Cape Cod never took root, as apparently neither did several of the "new" names for locations along the coast of Maine. However, quite a few of the towns along the Massachusetts coast, as well as the Charles River, did acquire the "new" names mentioned in the list.
I came upon this doing some browsing on the net this AM, while watching Terence Malick's film "The New World" (starring Colin Farrell as Captain Smith).
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
President of CAC

Great stuff Jim and thanks for posting.... yes...the Charles was named after King Charles of England...not Charlie Murphy of D street of Southie. (despite his insisting that it is so)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM

flydoc,

Good post!! It is normal as far back as Roman times (as far back as I wish to look) for new populations to name newly settled areas for communities in their homeland. It went so far that 2nd generation settlers would name new communities with the preface "New" as in Salem (England), Salem (Ma) and New Salem (central Ma.) or Boston (England), Boston (Ma) and New Boston, NH.

What is interesting to see is how the early settlers, to promote settlement, over promoted the agricultural prospects of New England. They also over promoted the existence of the salmon fishery in Southern New England.

Millerbrown
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Doc.....thanks for sharing this pamphlet. I enjoyed reading Smith's description of N.E. It is quite the advertisement and he was quite the salesman. Must admit that I haven't brushed up on my 17th century English!! I especially liked the map. Great find!

Steve
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm still trying to figure out why most of the Maine locations were able to retain their Native American names. I can't even imagine calling them by those English names they tried to assign them (ie Barties Island for Monhegan). Maybe the Mainiacs can shed some light on the subject
Flydoc
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I'm framing the map for the Chatham house - thanks Doc
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.