News from Acklins Island - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
News from Acklins Island

I thought some of you guys might be interested in some news and fishing reports--it's been a long winter!

The roads on Acklins, from Snug Corner south, have been significantly improved, though not paved like the original plan called for. Still, they have been widened and smoothed out. It has taken a while, but you can now get anywhere on the island in a lot less time than it previously took. No more weaving around and between huge potholes. This is good news for all the car/truck owners on the island, as it will surely lower maintenance costs for their vehicles.

There is now wireless internet at Grey's Point Lodge, and at Ivel's Bed & Breakfast.

Ivels also has a kayak, and of course there is kayak & two canoes @ Grey's.

Here are some updates from clients on the weather and the fishing on Acklins.

a few notes from Dr. Bruce Nadelson, who visited Acklins in January, staying at Grey's Point:

Vince I just got back home at midnight. For me, that was a great trip, but I'm not sure how many like to do what I like to do. Solo. Very isolated.

I went out by canoe after breakfast each day and came back between 5 and 5:45 PM for dinner at 6. Waded and poled the canoe for many miles/day.

Good weather the whole week, and picked between four and ten bonefish every day(!), fewer on Thursday and Friday when the outgoing Spring tide got late in the afternoon and I made a couple of wrong guesses about location, but saw some beautiful wild places back in there. Wednesday as the sun went down I found and caught maybe half a dozen from tailing groups on the way back in the last half hour. Thursday I came back in earlier. Friday I came in late and got a good one in front of the lodge as the sun disappeared, but I got in to dinner on time.

Good fishing and good catching, no doubt about it, including a daily after lunch nap of indeterminate duration on the floor of the canoe. I think maybe the weather was unusually excellent. Hot fly was pink palmered mostly clipped marabou, just a little krystal flash, bead eyes or no eyes on #6, small black metal eyes on #4. The 6 was for the very skinny white sands water, the 4 was more of an attractor and worked well even on the darker bottoms, some with a tight low mat of some kind of weed or algae, some with sparse turtle grass shoots. Except for the tailers on that late Wednesday, all fish out of the harder winds were Very Spooky. 8wt when not very windy, 11' leader, 10# tippet, soft landing as plunk-less as possible, and leading the fish more than I thought I'd have to, then waiting for them to come that way, maybe six feet away typically.

Good small shark action there too, but I failed to hook up--- not focused, really. A couple of takes but fish were close and coming to me and my strike was ineffective, maybe somewhat lazy/dreamy. A few very smart barracuda, from three to I swear almost six feet, in water from only 6 to 12 inches. The big guy in from the ocean didn't come far out of the channel and spooked from 100 yards away from nothing I did. Must have seen me. Smart fish. I doubt I could have got him with a fly no matter what, and I would want to play him back standing in the boat, not in the water. He powered off the flats in a cloud of sand at forty mph for three seconds.

Newton, Shirley and Lavanda Williamson were perfectly hospitable. Really good people , doing everything they possibly can to accommodate their guest. Singular. I was the only one there. I was the only one on any of the flats, channels, creeks, lagoons, save my fellow wading birds.

Notes from Tom Utaski, who visited Acklins in Late December, staying at Ivels B & B.
Vince: I enjoyed the trip and may go back but it would be by charter from
Ft. Lauderdale. Here are the highlights and low lights:

--Nassau is a big waste of time and money

-The wind was very strong all week. Watch out for December.

-Mrs Gibson and Teresa are sweethearts. They treated me very well. They did
not understand that bonefisherman do not want an 8AM breakfast. I packed
lunch and breakfast most days.

- my fish were surprisingly large - one was a good six pounds - my only small
fish were caught in the two large schools I ran across. Singles and doubles
are the key to nice fish

-I brought a new Droid but service was not available. Batlco has a tight
hold on phone and web service. (ATT service works)

-There is so much good looking water it is easy to waste time fishing over
barren water. I did better on incoming tides and high water then low tide
which surprised me

-these fish do not like to tail. I walked over a lot of fish. Constant
wind did not help seeing fish

- very few barracda, no turtles, and no permit

- I liked the ocean flats better than the creeks

-- my most pleasant day was a kayak trip to the ocean flats NE of greys
lodge. hungry fish when you found them

Best personal regards
Tom Utaski
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Vince -

What weeks are you lining up this winter? The guys have asked me to put something together for March - will you be there the last week?

One exception to Tom's report - Acklins bones LOVE to tail, maybe it was the weather
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Juro, I am there with a big group March 19-26. We may have a small group of 1-3 anglers that last week too.

Yes, Acklins bones love to tail--just need the right location, tides and water depth!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 PM
resigned

March 26th Datum Bay low is for 8:21am. Good week to find tailers on the incoming.

Phil
Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Juro, I am there with a big group March 19-26. We may have a small group of 1-3 anglers that last week too.

Yes, Acklins bones love to tail--just need the right location, tides and water depth!
I'm still thinking about joining you Vince. I'm just slow to decide because I really pick locations carefully.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Teflon:

I'm heading down with Vince for the first week. I have been itching to get back to Acklins since I went there in 2006. It is a great place. I fished at Andros South the past couple of years and you will have a blast fishing down there. There is so much water to choose from there.

Acklins is a special place. Totally off the grid. I love to wade and Acklins has some of the best wading flats I have ever been on. You can't go wrong with adding it to your second week plans.

Andros may have bigger fish, but the schools I saw on Acklins in '06 have never been matched.

I'm jealous...I have always wanted to do two weeks back to back.

My profile picture is from my first bone on Acklins in '06. I can't wait to get back.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Vince, do you still have a spot for me? If so, let me know. I'm trying to finalize travel arrangements tomorrow morning.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nute
Teflon:

I'm heading down with Vince for the first week. I have been itching to get back to Acklins since I went there in 2006. It is a great place. I fished at Andros South the past couple of years and you will have a blast fishing down there. There is so much water to choose from there.

Acklins is a special place. Totally off the grid. I love to wade and Acklins has some of the best wading flats I have ever been on. You can't go wrong with adding it to your second week plans.

Andros may have bigger fish, but the schools I saw on Acklins in '06 have never been matched.

I'm jealous...I have always wanted to do two weeks back to back.

My profile picture is from my first bone on Acklins in '06. I can't wait to get back.
Not sure if that's the week Vince and I are talking about. I booked a trip through him last year to Acklins so I know the island pretty well. Unfortunately, the weather was garbage and the fish were few and far between. I'm just still trying to justify the extra $2500 or so for the second week. But I'm a guy that lives by the mantra "you better do what you want to today because tomorrow you might wake up dead" so I think I might just have to do it.

2 weeks straight of wading after bonefish. I can't really think of any vacation I'd rather do. Paris or Rome or some of those places would be nice to see, but wading after bonefish is just unbelievably relaxing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.