north shore still alive - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-23-2000, 09:06 AM

north shore still alive

While most of you were in RI Saturday, I took my last offshore trip for tuna, which was a bust. But, after coming in beaten from heavy winds, I got a chance to fish some of the ledges and sandy beaches north of Manchester Harbor with my buddy in his little lobster boat. We got into a great little school of bass off one of those beaches--it was pretty much like flats fishing but in deeper water (8-12'). Nothing huge, up to 24" with some near keepers swimming around, but they were a little choosy. Still, no complaints for late October. There is some beautiful structure up there. Juve patterns produced the best, and the inner harbor is still so thick with them that you could walk on them...

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2000, 09:33 AM

RE:north shore still alive

Hmmmm......I was thinking about giving it a go this week.
What a month it's been. The weatherman said no storms for the next 4 days. So it's worth a try. I'd love a few more 24" fish. Did I mention it's going to be a long winter?

Terry
Old 10-23-2000, 09:39 AM
BB5 Survivor

Terry --

thinking about a trip this week before work...let me know if/when you're
going...

jared
Old 10-23-2000, 10:01 AM

Jared: Will do. Thanks again for your help at Quonny. Weather this week looks great for this time of year.

Terry
Old 10-23-2000, 10:51 AM

I'm contemplating tomorrow morning, or Wednesday.
Old 10-23-2000, 10:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hmmm... tempting! I've got a too much going on this week though, hope they hang until next week. Wonder if the warmth of the estuary is holding them?
Old 10-23-2000, 12:22 PM

Juro: Which estuary?

Terry
Old 10-23-2000, 01:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Terry - I was referring to the harbor in Manchester, the tidal creek and peat banks reach in a good distance from the open water and the mud flats are dark and shallow up inside. As JeffG says, the pogies are still hanging in the harbor so as long as they maintain their relationship and the water is hospitable you'd think they'll stay around.

Roop's report sure is tempting me to look south again...
Old 10-25-2000, 10:25 AM

Got down to Devereux about an hour before high tide last night. Nobody was fishing the ocean side beach, so I walk down with just my head lamp to check things out. The water was dirty & the surface was quite, so I decided to look around some. I crossed the street & went over to the little town boat launch area on the harbor side. When I got there I was greeted by the most incedible sight. Not thousands, not millions, but Billions of juvie pogies. They went out maybe 50 yards & were hundreds of yards wide & very THICK! There is a little concrete pier to the left of the ramp that juts out maybe 50 feet. I walked out on it, so I was maybe in 3-4 ' of water; I looked down with my head lamp, but could not see the bottom through the bait. I got down on my knees & started scooping up handfuls of pogies. The bad news was that they were totally relaxed & unmolested.

I went back over to the ocean side, put on my waders & casted for a while, but it seemed quite dead. I decided to make this more of a scouting trip & find some other access points. I heard (other board) that there was access off Commerial Ave. where people had been getting makrel. But before I left I had to look at the bait on more time to make sure nothing was slamming it, so I drove over.

This time I had my waders on & could not resist. I walked down the ramp into thigh deep water to feel the pitter-patter of bait on my legs. As I was leaving a started to hear some splashes, almost as if my disturbing the bait had started something, then more splashes, then a lot more, so I ran back to the truck & got my fly rod which was already strung with a 4" 1/0 pogie pattern & started casting. The water was boiling, but the breaks seemed very small; I wanted to hook up to see if these were twinkey stripers or Maks. I got a few bumps, but no hookups. It occurred to me that I was basically playing PowerBall; Even if there were several hundred fish, there was still a Billion pogies & even if my fly looked wounded there was already a lot of wounded bait in the water. So I tried everything: dead drift, twitch, slow strip, medium strip, fast strip, extra-fast strip, let it sink, don't let it sink, but all I kept getting was bumps. Remember my fly had a 1/0 hook (but I'm getting ahead of myself).

I finally grabbed my spin rod & put on a small RattleTrap, because I have found this lure can stimulate strikes even when there is a lot of bait around. Also, this lure has very small hooks. After a few more bumps I finally hooked up, not much fight. I landed this 8" thing and looked at it closely. It was beige on top & changed to a gold color on the side; it was a little shinney. It did not have flat sides, but was more cylindrical. It had a rounded head, & rouned & somewhat large pertural fins, & the rest of the fins were small. It appeared to have small teeth. The only thing I could think of was maybe a Whiting, but I thought Whiting were flat sided? I caught a couple more maybe up to 10-11". I was going to keep one, take a digital photo & post it; I should have done this, but didn't. When I left the tide had been going out for less then a hour & there were thousands of dead pogies on the beach. I went down to Commerical Ave & there was two guys fishing from the docks & it looked like they were jigging for Maks, so I called it a night.

Now in hind sight, I think the thing look like a distant cousin to a sculpin. I did a search on the web, but could not find anything that looked exactly like this fish?
Old 10-25-2000, 10:31 AM

Pollock?

Old 10-25-2000, 10:45 AM

That has a triangular head, a small pect. fin & a horizontal line. The things I saw had a rouned head, larger pect. fin & no line.

But, Some fish look very different in their juvenile stage than they do as adults??

What ever these things were, they would make a great meal for larger Stripers. I have an old 7" wooden rappala swimmer that's a pretty good match.

The only fish I found on the web that Kind of resembeled this fish was a Grunion, but that's a west coast only fish??

Damn, I should have brought one home!
Old 10-25-2000, 12:02 PM

Nick,

The morning we were up in Magnolia, you hooked a few small pollok, but I did not see them. Do you remember what they looked like??
Old 10-25-2000, 12:19 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Yeah, that picture is exactly what I caught. From what you are describing it is definitely not a pollack. Pollack have very small scales, almost feels like skin, and are super slimy. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Slow day at work though means I can do some research. Lets see what we come up with...

nick
Old 10-25-2000, 01:31 PM

I don't suppose there is any chance they were small cod? Similar to a pollock, but brown/beige/gold, more rounded head and that little protrusion under the lip???
Old 10-25-2000, 02:32 PM

It's possible. They did have a pretty soft mouth, a few just fell off the hook as I was reeling them in.

I think it's just a case that it's some type of fairly common fish that just looks different in its juvie stage??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.