A few stats again - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
A few stats again

Hi,

Govt'estimated runs for the Gaspé rivers.

Happy 2011 fishing!

Ann
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 AM

Are those the total number of fish entering each river or the estimated rod catches for those rivers?

http://salmo.proboards74.com/index.cgi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Hi

These are estimated number of fish that have entered the rivers in 2010.

Ann
Old 01-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Interesting. Those numbers, except for possibly the York don't seem to reflect the wide spread anecdotal reports of much better runs this year for much of the easy coast, except for the North Shore and some Labrador rivers.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Quite surprised how small the runs of fish are in relation to the size of the rivers. Over here rivers of that size would typically have runs of salmon in the order of about 10 times those totals.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM

a few stats again

Mr. Ritchie,

Have you ever fished these rivers? I wouldn't say they are large rivers. Historically, have you reviewed the statistics? One cannot simply compare the fishing experience from one system to another and make broad comparisons with the overall reports for the species in the region nor globally. Here, the experience is what counts! No tube flies and weighted lines, simply fair fishing for the king of fish!
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 AM
In moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Ghost
Mr. Ritchie,

Have you ever fished these rivers? I wouldn't say they are large rivers. Historically, have you reviewed the statistics? One cannot simply compare the fishing experience from one system to another and make broad comparisons with the overall reports for the species in the region nor globally. Here, the experience is what counts! No tube flies and weighted lines, simply fair fishing for the king of fish!

I must agree with Graham Ritchie. I was very surprised at those figures. They appear to be catch figures and not total fish figures.
I have fished the rivers mentioned and have caught fish. I did not last year but instead went fishing on the Tweed in Scotland. I was very pleasantly surprised. I caught more fish than I would have expected from a trip to Canada.
Last year on the Tweed thousands of fish were caught.
I now think that the rivers in the Gaspe area are over hyped and there are, certainly for a European, more interesting and potentially more rewarding places to fish in Europe.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:59 AM

Ann can correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe that those stats are from the end of the season count (scuba divers go down the river and count fish in the pools).

The count is fish in the river, not fish that have entered the river. York and Dartmouth had full kill seasons last year, while the St Jean allowed 50 large salmon to be killed (not sure if that quota was reached), so many more enter the rivers that don't make it to September.

Those rivers are very sterile (low nutrient), so the parr population they support can't be huge. That said, I'm sure that a long time ago (before all the insults to the Gaspe rivers like mining and deforestation), they were capable of supporting more parr and more returning adults. As they are now, they barely if at all make minimum escapement numbers.

They are still beautiful waters with wonderful fish though.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hey Pete

Maybe numbers (quantity) isn't everything. The Gaspé rivers are pretty special.

Certainly, Tweed is an impressive fishery. On our 2 week trip to Scotland last spring, the only fishing I did was one afternoon in late May and managed a small, bright salmon on a gorgeous stretch of the river in water conditions that my friend (who lives on the banks of Tweed) said was the lowest in probably 30 years. Couldn't ask for more. It's a very impressive river, as were my non-fishing visits to the Tay, Dee, and Spey.

But don't sell the Gapsé rivers short . . . they have some of the clearest, most unspoiled water in the world. With impressive fish. Where you can fish for large, sighted fish (you can almost see what they're thinking when a fly passes over them) with dead drift dry flies. And they boast some of the loveliest fish on the planet. I've taken fish to 28 lbs on dead drift dry flies, 32 lbs on waked flies (here's a lovely lady from 2 yrs ago . . . a not-so-petite 24 lbs).

I fished the York for the first time last year for 4 days . . . one day I swear I thought it might snow, but I managed 4 fish in 4 days, one fish of 20 lbs, one fish on a dry fly. Not bad "numbers" for salmon fishing.

And for those who haven't tried these rivers, Ann runs a first-class operation. You won't be disappointed.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24GrandCasSm3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	7094  
Old 02-04-2011, 01:02 AM
In moderation

Nice fish Bill!!

I agree that the Gaspe rivers are quite special. The clarity of the water etc. is quite unique. My comments however are about the lack of fish and the cost of fishing there.

I used the word "hype" because all the advertising that I see is all about how great a fishery Gaspe is.

Like salmon fishing anywhere it's all about right time and right place. However the fish must be there as well.
I have fished the St. Jean, Dartmouth, York, Grande, Pabos, and a few other smaller rivers and have caught fish on most. However for a european to go to Canada with the specific intention of fishing then I believe it is not worth the price of air fares etc. etc. when there is better fishing to be had closer to home.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Flats Rat

Pete - where did you fish on the Tweed? I used to have a week with some friends at the end of November at Yair - loads of fish moving through but colored up for the most part. I did manage one 8lb bright silver grilse on my second year.

Prime time used to be the last two weeks of October which was a tough/impossible time to find a rod anywhere from Peebles to Berwick.

Great to hear the runs were good last year!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
President of CAC

"And for those who haven't tried these rivers, Ann runs a first-class operation. You won't be disappointed."
Thanks Bill, I have not been up there in years, but I would do so at Ann"s operation... Not to mention she has been one of our most loyal and helpful sponsors for years.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Basicaly, the main reason why you just can't compare Scotland rivers with Gaspe rivers in term of productivity is related to the time required to produce a smolt. Here, rivers like York need 3 and 4 years to produce a smolt, rather than something like 14 month in Scotland if my memory is good. It means a net survival rate in the river much much lower than in Scotland. Here, 3 and 4 generations of young salmon compete rather than only one in your rivers.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

Thanks for the explaination. It was certainly not my intention to critisize any of these rivers, which I am sure provide a great fly fishing experience, sight fishing with dry flies. It was merely my genuine surprise at the low numbers of fish returning to these rivers.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Likewise as an American if it were only about convenience I would much prefer to drive back to Gaspe instead of all the extra time and expense of going overseas.

BUT it's not about that for me so much as the unique experience each presents. Fishing for salmon in Scotland, Canadian Maritimes, Scandinavia, Russia, England, Ireland are all quite different I'm sure and it would be hard to find such beautiful wild salmon rivers as we see on the Gaspe anywhere in the world. I would love to visit the distilleries in Scotland on the namesake "Spey" as well, but for different reasons than I would fish the Gaspe, and I would want to fish them both

As an analogy, for me there is no comparison between fishing for native steelhead in the pacific northwest vs. the Great Lakes, meaning no disrespect. One can catch many steelhead in a GL trib in the time one fish may be caught out west, but one can never catch a native steelhead there and that may (or may not) matter and is purely subjective. To me it's what steelhead are, it's everything.

I know several well-known anglers who have fished the Ponoi and they return nearly disgusted at how easy the fishing was. Interesting... quality over quantity.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.