Somerset Fly Fishing Show 2011... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Thumbs up Somerset Fly Fishing Show 2011...

AMAZING!
report and photos to follow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Looking forward to the pics Pete! I had to leave on business, but was planning to attend.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Friday morning started out looking a bit like a snowy Marlboro but that's where similarities ended...
I drove down the day before and stayed at the Holiday Inn... a good plan! 'missed the storm and the roads were dry and fast...

Somerset is on a scale of it's own and then add steroids...
On Friday morning I moved into my convenient Doubletree accommodations [attached to the Convention Center]... another good plan!

The Somerset FF Show is HUMONGOUS and has the energy level of shows that I recall from the hay dayz of the 90's...
When you pass through the door it's "game on" and a serious challenge to see it all along with some world class seminars...

I met Norm Norlander and his wife, Ruthie, back in the early 90's at the Marlboro show and we've maintained an on going bi-coastal friendship ever since...
His vise is still spinning in my head and holds a special place in my "kinetic art collection"...
I always enjoy Norm and Ruthie's warm hospitality and every time I watch him perform his magic, I witness a few more amazing tricks...
I love my Norvise and his Automatic Bobbin is the BOMB!
'ALWAYS a pleasure to watch the master practice his craft!

When I "reported for duty" at the Tuffleye booth, I knew that I was running with the Big Dogs! Bob Pop was already crankin' out some magic...
Doc Ned and his daughter Ashley had the booth up and running and were San Antonio cordial and had a West Texas welcome for all...
It was a real pleasure to finally meet them in person!
What a wonderful opportunity! btw... 'some interesting stuff on the Tuffleye horizon!

Marc Pettigean was absolutely accessible and spent tons of time tying flies and demonstrating tricks that really open up your eyez!
His amazing gear is top shelf and quite "Swiss" in so many ways... precision, form, and function... and his flies and techniques are Brilliant!

David Nelson ties some truly wonderful flies and has developed a unique and artistic fusion of classic and contemporary techniques...
He is my TYING HERO and I always set aside a block of time to watch David spin straw into gold...
He never disappoints and I always come away with profound inspiration and ideas to chase around when I get home...
If you only have time to catch one tier, he's the ONE...
'AMAZING bugz!

The Bear's Den has quite a presence... here's the main location and then there's a satellite booth for rods and reels [among other things]...
If you can't find what you want/need here, you probably don't really need it... but if you want it, Scott, Sarah, and Amanda will get it for you!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Lots' to see and plenty of good energy...

Scott Wessels held down the fort and was busy ever time I went past his satellite outpost...

Bob Pop spent quality time behind his vise at the Tuffleye booth demonstarting his innovative craft and the remarkable potential of BLUE light cured acrylics...

Joe Cordeiro's energy is contagious and his Flat Wings are his signature...

Greg Becker is a one man WalMart... easy to work with and always a pleasure...

Marc Petitgean's innovative engineering is inspiring and his attention to detail is remarkable...
and his tying desk is organized chaos... 'wish that I could say the same of mine...

I had the privilege of spending quality time in the presence of great talent and good friends...
Quite a special weekend and highly recommended for your "Bucket List"!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
President of CAC

Pete , great report and love the photo's and glad you spent time with Bob P. Who is the guy with the long hair and Black beard....was that you incognito?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Great shots! Looking good sitting there with Mr. "Pop". How much did you import to Mass when you came home? Interesting that Bob Pop uses a small light shield when setting the 'goop'. Have not seen that or read about using one before.

Pete "PopnesetBay"
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Wink as a matter of fact...

I bought a few things that I didn't know I needed until I saw them... if you get my drift...
The most noteworthy and enlightening being a SWEEEET Petitgean high intensity [but cool to the touch] light with machined tool bar... NICE!
Let there be LIGHT!!!
btw
The guy with the ZZ Top beard is none other than the Right Honourable Bear's Den Scott-meister... who would'a thunk?!
and
The shield Bob Pop is using simply cuts the glare...
it's intent is to reduce the intensity of the bright non-UV visible BLUE light while you focus on the fly being cured...
Personally, I prefer to hold the light about 1/4 - 1/2" from the surface and use the tip of my pinky finger to act as a touch guide so that,
once it's in position, I don't even have to look at the fly and I have no worries that I'm touching the surface being cured with the light...
There's some nifty new curious stuff in the developmental pipeline...
Interesting times!!!

The ride each way was 315 miles [give or take]...
I could have saved 20 miles each way by sticking with 95 and the George Washington Bridge but opted for the I-287 / Tapan-Zeee diversion...
The Cross Bronx / GWB is always a crap-shoot and the slightly longer route was less stressful and seemed to be worth the extra miles...
Sometimes you get the bear... Sometimes the bear gets you...
I'm tired but glad that I got to take in and be part of the Somerset Three Ring Circus...
it's a HOOT... go with a friend, car pool, spend a night or two... Just do it!

Lookin' forward to the upcoming Bear's Den show on 19 Feb for more of that ole' time exhilaration...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Thanks for sharing Pete.

I almost went this year but of course a work weekend got in the way ,hopefully next year.Bring on the Bearsden show.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Fly chucker

Great stuff Pete. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.