North Shore Rolls Along - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2000, 09:09 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
North Shore Rolls Along

Well, the inclination that the bass would be gone was not true, as the fishing was exactly as Terry had described it. I met GregO and Norm there around 6 this morning, and I was into an 8" pollack as the other suited up. We caught fat bass until around 7 on almost every cast. The fish were not on top, but hanging around the rocks below and seemed to come in waves. Norm and I left for Black (or White) beach, and continued to have success. These fish were bigger with Norm catching a keeper. Another guy there caught a 39" BIG bass on a 7wt rod. Awesome. I had to get to work, so left soon after. Norm stayed around to catch one more... I'll be back again tomorrow morning. Good to meet you guys this morning.

nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2000, 09:16 AM
i'm so outta here

RE:North Shore Rolls Along

Awesome, Nick!!

Glad I was wrong,

Al
Old 10-12-2000, 09:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I love the rough terrain and the scenic character of the north shore, especially in that area. I feel a little sick tomorrow, 4 hour flu...
Old 10-12-2000, 09:40 AM

Mid October too! Well guys, with this good weather hanging on through the weekend, you might have to be so inclined as to go North instead of Chatham (which I remind you was dead last week...I know..I know.. the tides were off). Break the Chatham spell! (which replaced the South Rip spell!).

TerryW
Old 10-12-2000, 09:59 AM

Yes, they were there. I did not follow Norm & Nick to the next beach, because I was still clearing my 3rd line snag when they left. I tried to go to the next beach, but I could not find it, so I stll don't know where it is! Norn & Nick did very well at the Point, but my casting lane had a submerged rock, so I lost two flies & a leader & spent a lot of prime fishing time re-tying. I would guess we hooked about 25 fish in the hour around sunrise. I only managed three, but I had a 22" striper put me onto the reel, take drag & make a run for some rocks. Man these fall fish are fiestey. Pretty too, dark green strips, with a purple rainbow hue.
Old 10-12-2000, 10:26 AM

Yup those rocks are tough. I've done my time getting snagged up there. I use an intermediate now. Easier to manage. I noticed the strike zone to be abput 4 ' below the surface.
Did you guys take turns on the "point"? I also agree on the rainbow stripe, beautiful.

TerryW
Old 10-12-2000, 10:40 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Terry,
We all kinda just walked out of the little lot and then straight down the rocks to the waters edge. There was a slight point there, but enough room for all of us to cast. I guess Greg had a little more trouble than the rest of us though.
nick
Old 10-12-2000, 10:48 AM
i'm so outta here

Greg,

Were you throwing the QD? That may account for why you were losing flies.... and for the line tangles. I've just about had it with that line. It's great for fast moving, deep water, but the amount of trouble that goes with it had me ready to chuck the whole damn spool into the inner channel at West Wall last Friday.

Anyone have a recommendation for a quick decent replacement? Anyone want to buy a slightly used Cortland 325 grain line, real cheap!?
Old 10-12-2000, 11:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Al -

This might be interesting to you... click <!--http--><a href="http://www.flyfishingforum.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=geartalk&Post= 46" target="_blank"> HERE </a><!--url-->

(from the FF GEAR board down a few rows)
Old 10-12-2000, 11:40 AM

Great news Nick! Now if they can just hold two more days.

Al_D,

I modified my casting style to shoot that QD 325 and not tangle. It was really simple. I'm a righty instead of just releasing my left hand on the line at the end of the forward power stroke. I let the line run / shoot through my index finger and thumb(made into a circle) sort of like adding a big lower guide and that seemed to smooth out any minor tangles coming out of the stripping basket and becoming major ones. Just my .02
Old 10-12-2000, 11:45 AM

Al,
I have been useing a shooting head system. It can be a pain in the butt especially when your hands are cold and the wind is blowing like last Sunday. But no where near the hassel I have seen a few guys go through with the QD lines.

John
Old 10-12-2000, 12:23 PM

I have the same tangle problems with the QD running line section. One thing that has helped a little is to mend the line into bigger circles into the stripping basket. But I had a thought: Why not give a good ol' line stretching before we start fishing? I agree though it is frustrating, I had a few bad knot's this season in boats. There I sat looking trying to untangle a birdsnest while in the background...splash, tail slap..splash...tailslap....BLITZ!!!

Terry
Old 10-12-2000, 12:29 PM

Yup, I was fishing the QD. Most of my problems came from snagging that rock that was 30' out. But I was getting some infamous QD tangles; they seem to get worse as the temps. get cooler. I did not have my reel with intermediate line in my chest pocket as I usually do & I didn't feel like going back to get it. I guess my BIGGEST mistake was not following Norm & Nick to the next beach !!!
Old 10-12-2000, 12:30 PM

Juro,

That Rio line sounds good. It's now on the top of my list for the spring!
Old 10-12-2000, 12:31 PM
i'm so outta here

Bigcat - I throw a shooting head as well and have the same problems in the cold and wind. I've also suffered some not so pleasant burn from the exposed core running line, but all that more than makes up for the lost time and lost flies resulting from the Cortland product. The memory in the running line is terrible. It's weird too because the Cortland Big Game and clear intermediates do not have this problem.

Sully - that's a good idea. I'll try it next time out. It can only help

Juro - if you think of it, could you bring along the Rio sink this weekend? Or is that your standard sink line at this point?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.