Venezuela Dreamin' - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Venezuela Dreamin'

Flying into the coastal City of la Guaria you immediately notice the mountains looming high in the background. This was our stopping over point for the short 35 minute flight to Los Roques, a small archipelago 80 miles off of the coast of Venezuela. Today there is running water and a/c, but just little more than 10 years ago locals had to walk to wells to get their water. Whatever you've heard or read about Chavez you'll soon forget upon arrival. What you'll remember are the friendly people of Los Roques, the gorgeous ocean beaches and the fishing. Temperatures on Los Roques average around 85 degrees everyday and this offered us a welcome respite from our cold winter.

What I remember are the many above average bonefish that were incredibly strong fighters. The great thing in Los Roques is that we got many shots at bones everyday, and even on the couple overcast days we had everyone still caught many bones. These bones were not line shy either, and we often used 20 lb test Tippet.

There were some barracuda but not that many and we never saw a shark. These bones do not have many predators thus there is a Very low mortality rate after release. Combine this with low fishing pressure, no netting in the Los Roques national park where we fished, plus an abundance of food in The form of sardinas, and this makes for one he'll of a bonefish destination.

Did I mention there were plenty of tarpon around to keep things interesting. As well as jacks, snapper and bonito. And bonefish on a dry fly! These bones eat a floating minnow imitation like huge browns gulping a green drake. It's the only place I have ever head of where you can catch bones on the surface.

God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Posada Acuarela was a great place to stay with gourmet dinners we'll not soon forget. Each dinner consisted of four courses. The first was usually fish ceviche made of fresh Tuna wahoo or snapper, or a delicious soup. Next was the pasta dish. Third course was usually fresh fish, wonderfully prepared by Angelo or Mimo, our Italian chefs. Finally was dessert, usually a flan or light pie. The dinners were one of the highlights of the trip.

Los Roques is a small, quaint island that is Very safe. And flying into to Caracas is not an issue. You actually fly to la Guaria which is far outside of Caracas.

We had good guides and very seaworthy pangas, custom made for Sightcast, the outfitter on Los Roques. The manager of Sightcast, Ramon, lives on Los Roques and is there every day to ensure everything runs smoothly. Sightcast gets very high marks from me, and they handled everything seamlessly.

I will miss evening dinners at Acuarela with Mike, Rod and Steve, the beautiful Pancake flats where we looked for tailing bones, walking along gorgeous beaches where bones ate on the surface, and hunting tarpon in the lagoons. But we'll return next year for another wintertime adventure
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM
In moderation

Hey Vince
Great report many thanks.

I fished there last year about the same time and I was informed the the bait and hence the tarpon were not in properly. Did you see many tarpon on the front of Gran Roques?
That is also a nice tarpon pic. Where did you catch that?
There seam to be a few clouds about, how was the weather?

I am dying to get back there.

Pete
Old 01-19-2011, 11:13 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

There was a lot of bait- but we did not see any tarpon by the dock. Not surprising--there were many people swimming there everyday.

Not sure where we got the tarpon--we fished lagoons and had no trouble finding them.

We had a few cloudy days, but still caught plenty of fish. On the light colored flats and along the beaches you can still see the bones.

I am going back again next January or February definitely--looking at tides and picking dates now.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM

Vince,
Stunning photos and a great report. Thanks for posting. Trip looked incredible.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM

an excellent post Vin
Are you going to be sponsoring a trip for next year . I'm very interested.
especially wading for the tarpon.

Art
Old 01-19-2011, 04:01 PM

Excellent post .Thank you
Are you sponsoring a trip for next year. if so i'm very interested.
Especially wade fishing for tarpon.

Art
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Yes, We'll be hosting a trip there next year in January or February, most likely January. Checking on tides now with Sightcast.

I'll post the dates here when I have them, or you can always check the website.

Most of the tarpon fishing is not wading, but there are spots where you can wade for them, and a couple of the guys did on this trip.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Vince,

This may be the best post that I've seen on this forum and this forum has had a lot of great posts!! The photos of fish, water and food fill the bill for the ice/snow bound angler. One doesn't see much of this country in the Fly Fishing mags. It seems to fly under the radar. Maybe some day.......

Millerbrown
Old 01-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Sssssshhhhhhhhh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.