Gaspe' flooding - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Gaspe' flooding

I saw a clip on Spey Pages that the Gaspe' area of Quebec has been hit by bad weather causing flooding. Was able last September to fish the Bonaventure and will be back this July. Truely beautiful place, I hope they recover quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Gaspe Flooding

I was very concerned when I heard of the flooding. The news cannot be good for the rivers throughout the region. Virtually all of the rivers were in severe flood stages based on the graphs I saw on Saumon Quebec. Where did you see this video clip? Can you show me where the "spey pages" are and when this was posted? My concern is for the existing redds which are likely full of fertilized eggs in all the rivers this time of year. I hope all the people are recovering as well. unfortunately, It's another reminder of the damage that can be caused by logging in the headwaters of fragile river systems.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

http://speypages.com/speyclave/
Go to destinations
click on the post about the Gaspe weather
Old 12-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Ghost
It's another reminder of the damage that can be caused by logging in the headwaters of fragile river systems.
But these rivers have had periodic floods for centuries. A healthy river has to flood periodically. It's always a shock when it happens, and we're certainly more used to seeing it in the Spring, but these rivers will recover and probably a lot sooner than most of us expect.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

As I understand it, the logging does not cause the flooding - mother nature does, however it exacerbates the effect of flooding by allowing accelerated erosion and runoff where riparian zones would normally buffer it. Also such effects compound over time and as we've seen in the pacific northwest rainfall and snow melt that would normally not impact habitat can become devastating to spawning grounds.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 AM

I agree that floods are natural, hoewever, here is an example:

See the sharp points on the graph? No trees, No buffer, No retention, Sharp increase followed by sharp declines. Flooding caused by the removal of the buffers. Trees are the effective buffer. Sure it's a generalization but this is not a normal phenomena, this is caused by man removing what reduces the flow (trees).

Take the Grande Cascapedia for another example, Virtually cut to the banks of the river in the headwaters. What happens every time it rains there now? Muddy water.............routinely unfishable shortly after a summer thunderstorm. Even the color of the water and the bottom of the river has changed. Impacted by silty runoff.

http://www.cehq.gouv.qc.ca/suivihydr...Station=020602

I am no expert, but I can garantee you that rain used to be a blessing in the summer months, now it can be a curse.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:41 PM

I'm certainly not for clear cutting to the degree that it's done in many areas. It can make floods worse and takes more soil and other cover from the banks. I wish to heck there was an economically feasible way to remove the trees we have to have without it being such a rape of the landscape. Maybe some day that can happen, but until then we're just not enough of an economic force to change things very much. Like it or not, wood is as much of a necessity as fossil fuels and is at least renewable.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM

The amount of rain received is an all time record. Nothing in the register show more than 250 mm of rain in 3 days in the history. Add the fact there was some snow on the ground when it happens, and the real effect was more than 300 mm of rain. Deforestation has for sure no positive effect, but for this specific event, a virgin forest would have change nothing. On December 14th, it was 14 celsius in Gaspe, and 8 Celsius in Long Island Bahamas...Is somebody will tell me this is something normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.