Night flyfishing strategies - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2000, 06:45 PM

RE:Night flyfishing strategies

I do about 80% of my striper fishing at night. I shy away from lights most of the time, but at a certain time of year, a cetain large baitfish ascends a certain large river and must pass under a certain bridge which is lit with streetlights. Now THAT'S fun!
I shy from lit areas because I am a fanatic about my night vision. I prefere to hook, land and release my fish without using the flashlight. Of course, that's only possible under certain conditions, especially now that I don't improve my night vision by, ah...,dialating my pupils.;-]
For someone who isn't used to it, casting in the dark can be surprisingly difficult at first. You don't realize how much you depend on your vision until it's not there for you. A very helpful practice technique is to spend some time casting in the daytime with your eyes closed.
Strike dectection can be tough also. For those who stuburnly cling to the one handed trout retrieve, many strikes will go undetected. The good old "rod under the arm, two handed strip retrieve" means at least one hand is holding the line tight at all times. I've been in situations where bass were feeding heavy and I was hooking up every two or three casts, while a buddy went fishless because he never knew he was getting hits. When he got frustrated and asked my secret, I repeated advice I was once given on a trout stream by an expert nymph fishermen. "Ya gotta set the hook just BEFORE you feel the strike."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2000, 11:25 PM

RE:Night flyfishing strategies*to Steve*

Great picture!

It looks like I'll need a 13wt and some 8/0's with a tandem hook.

Not to mention the kevlar waders.
Old 03-03-2000, 10:19 AM

Sully:

Don't forget a Striper Imitation Fly !! Do you think that 13wt could cast a 28 inch fly ??

John
Old 03-03-2000, 01:49 PM

John,

I'm more concerned about how well the Kevlar waders would hold up!
Old 03-03-2000, 04:00 PM

The hell with the kevlar waders, I'd be trying to roll cast out of a cage if I knoew there were 'jaws' like that near my legs....
Old 03-03-2000, 04:16 PM

Certainly not claiming to be an expert, but I would say 75% of my fishing is done at night. Al D and I had 3-5 really good nights last season (He had the best one alone 3 SWFF keepers in 2 hours D'oh!). We also had one 40+ fish night (cold front moving in, SW wind pinning bait right up in the corner of the estuary where we were fishing, Yeah Baby!). I did about 3 all-nighters (sun-set to sun rise), because, after all, sleep depravation is the cheapest buzz. I must say though, I tend to do more spin fishing than fly fishing at night (harder to cast & see your line). However, Night fly fishing calm beachfronts and estuaries under the right condition can be a lot of fun!
Old 03-06-2000, 07:47 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Night flyfishing strategies - TONY STETZKO's Article

Just read Tony's awesome article in On the Water. He gives us a lot of insights with his words in this article, but it seems to me it's that "sixth sense" he shares with the fox in his headlights that makes him a "legend of sleepless hollow".

-Juro
Old 03-10-2000, 07:59 PM
Recent Member

I think its those great night time casts that I like the best.......
Fishing in the surf in the day light can really scare ya.... You can cast a full fly line and when you see where your fly lands.... you look at the reel and wonder if that line is really how long it said on the box???????????????
Something about the ocean surf that distorts distance.
But if you guys have any thing you want to know about in night fishing the surf, I will be glad to tell you what I know about it if I can.
I love bass fishing at night ... and find large fish like it too!
Steves picture kinda makes ya wanta walk on water. Had a big fin go by me one moon night so fast I heard the whistle it made cutting through the wind and water before I saw the fins.... I couldn't believe how fast Mr. tooth could move!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2000, 08:17 PM
bill

Using a line one size heavier than you normally use helps to give you more of a feel when casting-by-braille at night. I heard Lou Tabory suggest this, and i'm in complete agreement with him.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.