Fishing Christmas, - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Fishing Christmas,

Anyone else besides Tracy and me fishing on Christmas day?
We plan on not too early start after breakfast maybe on the river at 0800. Fishing has been very slow, yesterday 2 steelhead were caught by gear guys. They were the first after the floods 10 days ago according to the fish checker. No single malt on our Christmas trip as we will drink warm eggnog with rum and brandy. The eggnog made from our chicken eggs we collected today and it is really good warm or cold better with booze though.

Hope you all enjoy the great weekend ahead.
Cheers
OC
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I remember wanting to on Christmas Day but fearing the wrath. You're smart you bring her

Thanksgiving weekend was a sure thing and once in a while a few casts after-dinner on Easter Day. I don't think I've ever been in the right condition to get up and fish for winter steelhead on New Years Day. Hmmm but that means the river must have been wide open

Merry Christmas
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 11:00 AM

When we lived in Orgy City Christmas Day was a traditional "test out our gifts on steelhead" day and we'd troop down, late morning, to the Clackamas to see if Santa had made the fishes a bit peckish. We were not the only ones. The easy to get to places were always crowded.

-- Wishing I were fishing in Waldport
Old 12-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Santa was good, very good indeed. Its been a month without a fish until today. First fish was hooked near mouth of river and took off up river, over a riffle of about 60 or 70 feet long and 6 to 12 inches deep. Up into the next pool he went and stopped shook like crazy and broke me off. Don't think it was a bad knot maybe old tippet but should not of happened with so much backing out. To be truthful the fish was just to hot for me, had to be wild and ten to twelve pounds. When he went up the riffle he looked like a jet boat trying to go up a big riffle. The whole hook up was about 10 to 15 seconds and gone.

Second fish was a real strange one. We had move up river 3 or 4 miles and were going to fish the tail end of a run only. Tracy wanted me to show her how do do a certain cast so she could cover more water. We walked out knee deep I took her rod and peeled a few pulls of fly line off the reel. I then just made a quick cast to clear some line through the guides so I had about 3 feet of line and 6 feet of leader in the water about 20 inches deep, water was clear. Turned to say something to Tracy while starting to pull more line out and WHAM. Got the rod pointed strait at the fish and the line is screaming off the reel. I swore in Christ's name and raised the rod tip and the fish was already 40 feet out and making a jump. I think Tracy was pissed because of what happened and her rod. I felt guilty so I said do you want to fight the fish and she started to take the rod from me. But I decided I really need to land a fish and said no I'll land it. Fish jumped a couple more times was really bright and beautiful. Landed it really easy was the smallest steelhead I've ever caught at about 3.5 pounds and 22 or 23 inches. Wild and wonderful never the less.
Will send a photo to Fred or Phil so they can post a Christmas fish. I never have any luck posting a pick.
Merry Christmas
Cheers
OC and Tracy.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Not quite fishing Christmas, but among the gifts I received this morning were a new pair of Patagonia waders from one son, and Patagonia short wading jacket from daughter-in-law. Completely unexpected. But I likely won't have a chance to try them out for another couple of months until the ice disappears.
Nice to have all the family together for the holidays - too long since the last time we were all together.
Best wishes for a fine 2011 to all.
GMflyfish
Old 12-27-2010, 06:25 AM
resigned

Steve and Tracy. Merry Christmas and congratulations! Please send the photo along as a full size attachment and I'll try and post it after I'm done digging out from the Nor'easter that just blew by. About a foot of the white stuff along with gusts to 50mph. Phil

bonefishmon@aol.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.