Bad fishing? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:49 PM

Bad fishing?

Life in Hood River County has slowed down with the coming of early December. Temps are hovering just above freezing day and night so that last weeks snows have become course corn. Don't walk under the giant Douglas furs you will get rained on or perhaps a load of dangerous snow on the head maybe even ending life instantly. The air is still, damp and the fog hangs heavy. The fog it comes and goes with the whim of moving air, one hour of not being able to see the river while you move over ice covered boulders then 30 minutes where the fog just vanishes only to come back again. No surprising a herd of elk or a deer as you can't walk quietly, the snow crust breaks under foot even the dog hates breaking through the crust, the way he walks you can tell it hurts. But he doesn't care he is out on the river, nose down looking always looking for something to chase. Not much to chase, seems like every small animal has gone to Costa Rica. That dam dog even knows there is not a steelhead to be found as he has no interest in watching me fish. He loves a hooked fish, the jumps, long runs, bent rod, singing reel. Four trips to the river not even a bump, not even a smolt. Just time to do a lot of thinking, so much to think about, building a new home closer to town for the days we are really old. Thinking nervously about getting another boat to sail in, will Tracy and me really do it or is it just big talk to keep us going. Maybe we should lower our boat ideas of having a new modern cruising boat to sail around the world in and just get a fiber glass used boat and keep it in Mexico so we can sail the Sea of Cortez.
Don't want anyone to think I'm down, ok a little bit but just want to say that when everything comes to a standstill like it is here, it's a wonderful time to spend time outside for a little contemplation and redirection. Hey and even coming home, changing out of wet gear in the mud room, having a home only heated by warm wood, pouring a single malt and thinking what you will make for dinner becomes a good thing.
Cheers
OC
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Beautiful post, OC

Time....passes....

Since I've attained advanced Geezerhood, time has changed from the stream it used to be into a waterfall. Events planned for months in advance are over and almost forgotten in a seeming heartbeat.

My credo has become "Do it while you still can."

I think flyfishers are active people, cherishing their physical abilities much more than our effete images might suggest. Getting out there: braving the icy boulders, walking beneath the fatal firs, flinging that damn fly where we know there ain't no steelhead, that's an affirmation of life. Of being alive. And reveling in it.

Hang in there and thanks for the post

-- Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
resigned

Steve. Perhaps your gift of gab should be directed to spending the winter writing a novel about your life from a fly fisherman's perspective. Could well become a Best Seller.
Please don't stop. We need more! And please........bring your camera. I loved the photo essay you posted earlier. I also heat with wood. I do not have a furnace. Our weather here is getting very similar to yours yet the stripers are still biting. More caught last night after the sun dipped.

Phil
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My experience has been that it's at just such times when things seem their most sterile and void that life's treasures are revealed. And then while in a dour meditative state numbed by cold feet and the lowest of expectations... the steelhead from hell
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
resigned

Don't want anyone to think I'm down, ok a little bit but just want to say that when everything comes to a standstill like it is here, it's a wonderful time to spend time outside for a little contemplation and redirection. Hey and even coming home, changing out of wet gear in the mud room, having a home only heated by warm wood, pouring a single malt and thinking what you will make for dinner becomes a good thing.
Cheers
OC[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-2010, 09:45 AM
resigned

OC. Here's to heating with warm wood! I need only split one more cord and I'm ready. Note the stripping basket and drying wading shoes. LOL!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewood.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	7016  
Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 AM

Phil,
Nice wood pile you worked hard this summer on home heating.
Would love to do some writing but I'm so dyslexic it would take more years than I have left to get it right, re write and re write. Would do a book on my years living and fishing in the interior of Yellowstone Park working for park service at Madison Junction. The conflicts between the different divisions like rangers and maintenance were fierce. The women who visited the park and the lines prearranged to coax them out of the camp grounds and well you know where I'm going. And the fishing on an every day basis where out of season fishing meant a white sheet over warm cloths to keep the rangers away. Always a game to keep cabin fever down. I would name the book," The Confessions of a Catch and Release Poacher."

Winter is a great time to fish, hope you all get out and do some.

Just had a cruising couple come by for the weekend that we met in New Zealand. They are getting their old Ingrad sail boat ready for another trip to NZ next year. That's the second cruising couple to stop by in the last 3 weeks. It was fun talking boat designs, traditional Vs new and talking about new sailing routes away from the most traveled milk run. These conversations get the blood going.
Cheers
Old 12-07-2010, 06:14 AM
resigned

Now you're teasing us. How about just one chapter just for the fun of it? I'll never forget those boulders on the Lamar in the forest.

Phil
Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM
resigned

I'm daydreaming of the pack trip to the Thorofare. Do I smell a Yellowstone Clave?

Phil
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Under quintessential trout see new thread thorofare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.