Monomoy Flats Clave - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2000, 06:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Monomoy Flats Clave

> *Hint* Maybe Juro will show me some Cape flats. Monomoy
> comes to mind.

And don't forget Brewster!

Although it was a small group, I enjoyed the Monomoy Clave where some of us met last year. 6 of us worked the flats on a foggy morning and I had to leave at 10am; by then we all caught fish and others stayed.

I know the island fairly well, and have picked big shallow water fish up on crab flies where many others don't bother to fish due to rumor and reputation, but can hardly consider myself to be any sort of authority on Monomoy. Many of us have a working knowledge of the island and it's flats, and an island expedition always promises to be a great time.

I suggest we clave it twice - early / mid June, then again in September.

Who's in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2000, 08:06 AM

RE:Monomoy Flats Clave

I'm in.

How about hitting Monomoy in the AM and Brewster in the PM if the tides work out...

We need to get Ron, Mike & Tom. I have Ron's email, do you know where to find Tom & Mike?

Roop
Old 03-02-2000, 09:15 AM

Calling all Monomoy alumni... you guys out there?

I'll go dig if we don't hear...
Old 03-02-2000, 12:52 PM

I'm game. I logged a lot of time around there as a kid in a 13' whaler we kept in Stage harbor in the early 80's, but it may as well be a different country now with all the geological shifts that took place (not to mention biological--seals and albies??). However, my friend is buddies with an excellent guide who runs a flats boat down there--we had a great trip last year, and I'm schedualed for another one this year in early June, so I'll have the place fresh in my memory for a little return wading excursion.

Jeff Ganguly
Old 03-02-2000, 03:10 PM

I'd love to visit Monomoy for the first time....not to mention finally making a clave. I hope that I can make it...it all depends on the day.
Old 03-02-2000, 04:56 PM

I'm In. Will we do a week-day again to avoid crowds?
Also, do you really need a clear line to fish this spot?
If so, what do you guys recommend and how much $?
Old 03-02-2000, 05:28 PM

greg -

I do use a clear line, and no loops based on past experiences. There are spots I like to fish on the east side of Monomoy (no one else bothering, lots of fish) that will require the 325 grain QD, so bring it. If you don't have the clear line yet, I would recommend the 444 clear intermediate because it casts well and takes a nail knot. Many other brands do not take a nail knot (imagine that? )

In the spring rush, when the fish are coming around the bend in waves it doesn't really matter if you ask me. You could catch fish with anything that puts the fly in their face.

In July and August, totally different story - I'd even dress to blend into the ambient colors then.

I really hope Ron comes, he fishes it more than I do and has some interesting perspective on what works and what doesn't, where to fish and where not to, etc.

I ended up on Rip Ryder with one of the Monomoy regulars one day. We were walking back together on the east shore toward the "tree" and I saw some shifty shadows. I stopped to cast, he said "don't bother, nothing there". I tied on a crab, second cast >THUNK< the shadows were all keeper sized bass.

Another day, the shuttle was making me wait (and wait and wait) so I started to fish the drop off as the tide swept over it. A clam digger worked the sand as I cast. The hole was loaded with stripers, nice size (but not K's). Keith started to head over so I reeled up, the clam dude said "never see anyone fishing there".

Moral I learned from it all: although the quintessential fishery on Monomoy is the skinny current sweeping over the common flats or (or guzzle or crib) there are plenty of fish in any logical station at any given time.

Oh yeah, answer: if you got the green, go for the clear 444. It's a great flats line.

Juro
Old 03-02-2000, 08:35 PM

How do you get access to the island?

Day trip/overnight?

Does the Cortland 444 clear tip fit the bill or does this require a full clear line? I've been looking at purchasing a couple of new lines and the floater with the clear tip looks good. Is the Cortland lazer line any better than the 444?
Old 03-02-2000, 09:51 PM

Hi Jim -

> How do you get access to the island?

There are two well-known shuttles, Rip Ryder and Outermost Harbor Cruises. Rip (Keith) will do a 5am given 6 Ryders. otherwise, the trip starts at 8am. The leave from Monomoy Wildlife Refuge and Outermost Harbor, respectively.

> Day trip/overnight?

Day trips only.

> Does the Cortland 444 clear tip fit the bill or does
> this require a full clear line? I've been looking at
> purchasing a couple of new lines and the floater with
> the clear tip looks good.

I haven't gone to the tip because I have the full, but the stealth requirement doesn't really kick in until summer if you ask me.

From my experience with sinktips in the great northwest, I know that the more floating line you got the easier it is to lift and mend the line (if that's what you need to do).

Because I always strip to the last inch and often use the option of a deep sunk fly using a 10 count or even a 20 count before stripping, the intermediate full line in clear is a better all-around investment for me if I had to make a choice.

Dave Boucher loves his clear tip 444, I'm sure it's a great line!

> Is the Cortland lazer line any better than the 444?

The laser's the high-end finish for the Cortland lines. Because the last several lines I bought were Big Game series 444, I haven't used the Laser in SWFF applications but it makes a great freshwater line for trout so one would assume so.

If I had to outfit myself for the year for shore fishing, I would buy two lines (each on their own spool) - 444 clear intermediate and a 325 grain QD 444. The others are nice but there's nothing you can't tackle with these two setups... unless you hop on a boat and go mooch the rips or want to fish a popper slowly or...

Juro
Old 03-03-2000, 09:00 AM

Juro and Gang:

Count me in.....I have had some tremendous luck at Monomoy in June and September. Even had shots at Fat Alberts in September but no hook-ups. I have already got a few trips booked for late May and can do some scouting for our group. Get those Angel Hair Clousers and Crab patterns ready !

John
Old 03-03-2000, 12:14 PM

I would definitely like to be at this clave. Count me in if anybody's counting. I think a weekday would be best as long as we can pick one soon.

-Jim McCaffrey
Old 03-03-2000, 01:46 PM

IN.
Old 03-03-2000, 04:05 PM

I'm already planning options to learn more about the M-flats this summer so a clave sounds like a great place to start... In! Maybe we can locate a nice trough to run 'Double Happiness" into for the day?
Old 03-04-2000, 08:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd

hope i can make it to the monamoy clave this year. bad timing last year... tom
Old 03-08-2000, 03:05 PM

Juro,

Sign me up! I can also provide a boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.