Kayak I can stand up and cast in - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Kayak I can stand up and cast in

Been looking for a boat that I can fish the RI Salt Ponds with. Looking for one that I can stand and flycast out of. Like the idea of poling maybe? Already have a center console so being able to deal with surf is not a requirement. Have scoured the internet and have narrowed the search to 3 boats Wavewalker, Native Ultimate and Freedom Hawk. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM

I've read excellent reports regarding the Native. On their web site you can see several videos of the boat in action and it looks stable and very fishable.

Have you considered a canoe?
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 AM

I started fishing out of an Ultimate 14.5 solo last spring. It's a great boat - very stable and more like a canoe than a kayak. Easy to transport and paddle, tons of storage room and an extremely comforable seat.

I am not comforable standing up in it because it has very little freeboard. When I have tried to stand I felt like i was going to flip very easily. I am 6'5 and have a high center of gravity which certainly doesn't help.

I have not practiced standing in a 'safe' environment such as a pond without waders on. That might help.

The only other downside of the boat is it will take on water from chop and wakes due to the low freeboard/open design. Good to have the bilge pump ready at all times.

I am toying with the idea of aftermarket pontoons this spring. Like you, I really want to be able to stand and sight fish from it. There are plenty of places where the kayak would be perfect for that.

The wavewalker looks very stable but seems like it could be cumbersome to paddle and car-top. The seating looks uncomfortable as well.

The freedom hawk might be the ticket. I would love to hear some first hand reviews about it.

Google slo-mo boats as well. In hindsight I probably woudl have gone for one of those had I known about them.

Overall I am really glad I bought the kayak. It's a lot of fun and has opened up a bunch of places I could not fish effectively on foot.

Hopefully some other yakkers will provide some feedback as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Delayed response, I know, but better late than never.
I saw some of these for SOT kayaks at the Florida State Fair a few weeks ago:

(non-sponsor commercial link removed)

Joe

Last edited by juro; 08-19-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM

Stand up kayak

For stand up fly casting, I have found nothing better than the Wavewalk W500 kayak. I'm just really sold on this unique design for standing and casting without thinking about it. Check out my blog at waitingtoflyfish.blogspot.com and click on the June 27 post to see pictures of the rigging I put together for it. They have a pretty cool website too. The seat is extremely comfortable! It's part of the boat. No seat to buy, no rudder needed. Weighs 59 pounds. 11'4" long, 28.5" wide. I load it into the back of my pick up by myself, fully rigged! Anyone who has tried mine has come away convinced it is the best stand up kayak out there.

Last edited by Craiggah; 08-19-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Kayak Outriggers

Costs: $90.00 for the floats; $10 for everything else. So far I have paddled and poled while standing and handled mid-size powerboat waves.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

NICE!

Hey where do I get a stealth flyrod like that??
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Gee Todd, I thought your cast was so strong that the rod flew right out of you hand or maybe it was that monsta bass that took you by surprise!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM

That's my virtual rod: a Sage Nano-Bromium XTR Starship-50. I wasn't sure how the whole experiment would turn out, so I thought I'd minimize the loose article index.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.