Need to tie some more Deep Eels - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2000, 10:33 AM

Need to tie some more Deep Eels

BECAUSE MY LAST GOOD ONE GOT MAULED BY OVER 30 FAT STRIPERS THIS MORNING IN MAGNOLIA!!!!

More to come......

Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2000, 10:35 AM

RE:Need to tie some more Deep Eels

Good one! You had me going pretty good.
Old 10-11-2000, 10:52 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick

Terry, where exactly is Magnolia? I only know of the one in which Tom Cruise starred. Any info would be of great help since I would love to give it a whirl tomorrow morning. Thanks.

nick
Old 10-11-2000, 11:13 AM

Nick,
I'll beat Terry to your answer...Magnolia is between Gloucester and Manchester.
DB
Old 10-11-2000, 11:16 AM
Shark Bait

I found it, but I was curious as to where there was access to the water down there. Where can I park? Any shorebound spots that are accessible?
Old 10-11-2000, 11:25 AM

Hi Terry,
Just wondering if you were on Half Moon Beach/Kettle Cove? Or someplace off Hesperus Ave. My wife is from Magnolia and we are trying to figure out what part of town you fished.
One of these day's I'm heading that way myself.

Bigcat
Old 10-11-2000, 11:30 AM
i'm so outta here

Terry,

I think you better hurry up and dish out some details before these guys explode.

Al
Old 10-11-2000, 11:36 AM

Better yet, DON'T dish it out or the area will explode.
Old 10-11-2000, 11:47 AM

I had my truck loaded and ready but decided to blow off my No. Shore sorte this am. But then everyone awoke at my house at 4:45 am??? So I'm sitting there awake,why not. Went to Shore Dr. in Magnolia. Sittin there in the dark waiting,cold. Then a few seagulls start moving. No concentration, just moving around.As it gets lighter I figure I'll take a few cast before leaving. Pull around to the cove out of the wind. I figure, this is futile but what the heck. 3rd cast, fish on. Caught schoolies to 22" every cast or 2 for a long time. Then it died. Was gonna leave and decided "OK 5 more casts". On the fith cast, my fly was almost into shore- wham! A bigger school showed and I proceeded to catch bruisers to 27" for the next hour. They were chasing my fly up to the rocks. Very agressive, fat, hard fighting bruisers!
Flies: started with a Olive White Bunker, leader failure lost that one to a big fish. Then White Bunker. Lost too many due to low quality hook (mustad?), out comes the Deep Eel, just as many hook ups, but better hook, (2/0 Orvis Chem sharpened). Tried a popper too and got one, swithed back to the Deep EEl.
*Birds: No surface action, so gulls were spread out. Look for a few spread out gulls working over an area frustrated!
*Manchester Harbor had a BILLION juvi pogies in it. Nothing molesting them but a few gulls. Most pogies I've ever seen.

Checked out Beverly down to Danvers River. Quiet. Stick to Magnolia and above for now.

TerryW
Old 10-11-2000, 11:57 AM
i'm so outta here

Awesome, Terry!

Isn't it great when, out of nowhere, your luck suddenly takes a turn for the better. Ok, so now we need to get someone out there tomorrow morning to tally up just how many lurkers we have on the board. Seriously, Fall fishing is such that if you're running out to find a repeat of Terry's experience, chances are you're chasing a red herring. With the speed at which schools move, the one place you can be almost certain the fish are not tomorrow morning is Magnolia. Fair warning

Al
Old 10-11-2000, 12:07 PM

Well I'm going to have to put that theory to the test! I just put my name on the board for a 1/2 V-day tomorrow. Hope no last minute meetings Pop Up! Besides, driving 30 miles to fish is A LOT more appearing then 130 miles! It's two in the bush, but the bush is closer!
Old 10-11-2000, 12:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Good point Al - all that being said, what time are we meeting up there in the morning?
Old 10-11-2000, 12:21 PM
Shark Bait

Grego, I was planning on heading up as well since I work in Peabody. I don't have the ability to take a v day, but I am still planning on fishing until like 8 anyways. Maybe I'll see you out there, I am planning on getting there around 5:30-6ish.
Old 10-11-2000, 02:03 PM

Also: I stopped at Kettle Cove (Black Beach) because there were hundreds of gulls and Comerans feeding on trapped bunker. It was like Rhody, awesome. No fish though. Afterward, when I got down to Manchester and was parading around town in my waders, a guy pulled over and told me the stripers were chasin the bunker up onto the same Black (and Whites) Beaches. So it's worth inspecting tommorrow. It's off Summer and Ocean St.

Terry
Old 10-11-2000, 02:12 PM

I was at Kettle Cove (Black Beach) this morning. There were fish there in the hour or so I fished, but it doesn't sound like it was as good as you had it one cove up. I managed 6 fish in the time I was there (06:30 - 07:45) and had a few more swings and misses. The amount of bunker in there was staggering and I'm tempted to go there again this evening. As I was leaving two guys were entering the water on the far shore from me. You? I also saw a few guys checking the place out from their cars. White Toyota pick-up, tan Volvo wagon and silver/grey import sedan. Anyone here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.