Daiichi Xpoints - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Daiichi Xpoints

Had a Daiichi Xpoint X452 No. 6 straighten out on me on a bonefish. Has anyone else used these hooks and had a problem with them? Very sharp point and looks good but didn't hold up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 08:41 AM

I've used them since they first came out and never had an issue. Since most of us don't put all that much pressure on a bonefish for any length of time, I'd have to guess you just got a bad hook. Now a false albacore, something similar in size to a bone, is fought differently and I could see hooks opening more often. However, I've used both the X452 and X472 on false albacore and never had a problem. I guess I'd double-check a few more hooks from that same package to make sure you didn't get a bad "batch" of hooks. The other bonefish hook I use quite often in size 6 is the Gami B45. Although it's never happened to me, that's a hook I could see opening up when major pressure is put on a fairly big bone, as the wire on it is quite thin.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:09 AM

JR, Thanks, I was surprised it was on the first run and I do set my drag light and let them go then. The line just went slack and the hook was straight when I retrieved. I think it must be a bad batch. I have bent a couple others with pliers and they seemed to bend easily or just break at the bend behind the barb. Guess I will just toss these. Expensive hook to have that happen with though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.