Local river - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Local river

Fish are starting to really show up both wild and hatchery. Cold as hell and snowy but really beautiful out. Out with Tracy the other day behind the farm before the cold and snow and released one pretty little wild hen. We also scored on lots of wild mushrooms for the table on the walk back. Mt Hood today is snow covered with blowing powder it's a grand sight to see. Grand kids and family are here for Holidays as of this evening and the boys will be doing a lot of steelheading no matter how cold it is.
Happy holidays to all.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 PM
fish'n Hobo

OC
You must truely live in Paradise. You paint with words a fantastic landscape.
Thanks for that....it really added to my day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 08:18 PM

Nice!
Been fishing off my dock last couple of weeks hoping to get an early fish. So far, no luck. Wind, snow and cold put me down for the day. Maybe tomorrow.

Good fishing over the Thanksgiving Holiday

Cheers,

Eric
Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Thanks Jim for the nice words, if your out this way come fish, yes we do live in paradise.
Eric, you are going to have to stop by sooner or later before the crowds start if they ever do, Give me a PM if your over this way soon. By the way picked up some good local apple jack moonshine today from one of the locals. MMmmmm good.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Middle Aged Member

So did you raise the thanksgiving gobbler? Best to you and yours for the holiday.

We are off to thanksgiving in paridise also. Off to my daughters in beutiful Queens Village. Hope I don't forget my passport.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 PM

Queens village, Eh?

We bought an organic turkey, most expensive turkey ever! Next year we will raise two toms, one for turkey day and one for Christmas for a lot less in feed costs than we paid for the one gobbler.
My son in law and daughter liked the moonshine so much I had to go up the dirt road and into the woods this morning for more. Brought the son in law along just in case I needed cover from all the shootin that could have gone on from goin on up there once too often.

Weymouth HS vs Walpole HS, Thanksgiving day game both teams undefeated at 10 and 0, Go Weymouth.
Cheers
Old 11-25-2010, 12:58 AM

Hey OC

Man, I'd love to fish with you. When I come up to Portland I'll give a shout.

BTW: Thanksgiving-wise, I'm a real weirdo. Never could stand turkey.

My father would always buy the biggest one available in the state. I'm just glad Pterodactyls weren't still around, or he would have bought one of those.

Turkey fresh on Thanksgiving. Turkey not so fresh on Friday. Turkey even not as fresh as Friday on Saturday. Sunday -- very left over Turkey. Monday back at school: Turkey sandwichs. And on and on and on until Mom made Turkey croquettes out of the remaining sinews. The bones then became the main ingredient for a bathtub of turkey soup, which we gagged down until

Christmas Eve, when Dad would procure another goddam Turkzilla and it would start all over again.

God, I break out in hives just remembering.

But

All you turkey lovers out there, and I know you're legion:

Enjoy your traditional repast and bon appetit!

I'm having prime rib.

Cheers and Gobble Gobble

Eric
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM
resigned

Your words do paint an excellent landscape. Thanks OC. Any photos would certainly be the icing on the cake! Happy Holidays Steve!

Phil
Old 11-25-2010, 11:38 AM

OC, I keep getting the image of your kids crossing the bridge to the house in horse-drawn sleighs with fly rods waving. Would make a great holiday card.

Eric, I'm with you on the Turkey. The best Thanksgiving meal I ever had was at the Sportsman's Club in Everglades City: everyone jumped on the Turkey-loaf special, but I ordered the Captain's Fried Seafood Special.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 PM

You all are very funny indeed. I could eat turkey everyday on good bread, thick slice of onion, oyster stuffing and homemade cramberry sauce with lots of mayo on top. A sandwich about 4 inches thick maybe 5 inches thick. You got to remember that I grew up in Weymouth, Ma. second only to Plymouth in age, Weymouth established in 1622 so turkey is a staple. Weymouth 21 walpole 6 Weymouth 11-0, playoff time.

Eric's storyis awsome, reminded me of Alan Shepard radio show back in the 50's, he was the guy who did the Christmas Story we all rent every year. Eric give me a PM before you come up.

No horse drawn sleighs yet but we soon will be snow shoeing in with fly rods in hand. Whats nice about snow shoes is we can wear waders and wading shoes while snow shoeing.

This place we call home is really something else. I have been lucky to have had a ranch near Livingston, Mt. lived 6 years in the interior of Yellowstone, beach front house on Maui for 5, lived on sail boat for years sailing around. All of them really neat but I never ever got goose bumps when driving up the road home from town. But here every day I can't believe how beautiful it is here and how nice all the people are even the locals take everything in stride. Even though we will sail again, god willing, we will call Hood River home from now on.
Cheers
Gobble, gobble to all.
Steve

Last edited by OC; 11-25-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

OC and all, happy t-day a day late.

Busy around here yesterday cooking tom during a snow storm............

Old 11-26-2010, 06:41 PM

Kerry,
Yup you like Turkey! Good on ya. Looks like a snow year up on the skagit too. Today we have had nothing but freezing rain, real hard to walk to the river in. Fished for an hour with no luck but a smolt. God it was hard walking, crunch, crunch, break through, crunch, crunch, break through.
cheers
OC
Old 11-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

I spent some time in Portland back in the late seventies..............I think, may have been the early eighties. Anyway enjoyed a couple of the worst ice storms in the area's history while there. Lovely stuff. Nothing moves. Nothing. Stay safe.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

Kerry just noticed your nice insulation job on your propane hose. I'm not so sure about bringing a 9,7 and 4 year old fly fishing especially in winter. I love my family but back you all go to the ranch in Wyoming 5 days is just right. The kids were upset that I did not take them Sturgen fishing on the Columbia River. They saw 450 pound Henery at the state hatchery and felt they could handle one like that on my terminal gear. Been steelheading 3 days without a bump, no idea what happened to them. Maybe it's the snow as I'm sure I stick out like a sore thumb in my brownish colored Sims gear. Maybe the New York steelheaders can tell me if these fish in a smallish river get spooky if they see you. last year I could stand on them without spooking them but that was down river where the river is wider and deeper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.