Airflo Striper or 40 + Cold Saltwater Line - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 04:13 AM

Airflo Striper or 40 + Cold Saltwater Intermediate Line ?

Hi all,
I was just wondering what out of the above two lines you prefer when fishing for Stripers ?
Am I right in thinking the Striper line is more of a conventional WF line than the 40+ line which is more of a shooting head ?
Any advice appreciated.
Mark

Duuuhhhh...... Just realised I have put this thread in the wrong section.

Last edited by starsky; 11-20-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Starsky, you have the design aspects right. I've fished both, and they are both nice casting and behaving lines for their type. The Striper line that I had was a dark but rather bright blue color which I did not like on the flats.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 PM

vtloon,
Thanks for the reply.
I fished for the first time with my 8wt 40+ the other day and found it very heavy in the head section. I'm looking for a new 9wt line to bring to the Cape with me. I think I will try the 8wt line on my 9wt rod as I think it might be better suited.
The colour of the Striper line is an issue on the flats but I think Airflo make a clear inter line in the Striper profile.
To be honest Airflo make so many different type of lines these days it can be a tad confusing at times.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 AM
resigned

Depending on how good you can see the fish on the flats, I find it important that it loads the rod in the short to medium distances. My problem was getting a proper rod load to fourty feet as that is where the fly will often need to be after the fish is seen at sixty feet. A lot of lines are designed to cast far and load the faster action rods with the entire head out. Seeing one out eighty feet takes a trained eye especially when it's windy, which it usually is. The larger the fish, the easier they are to see. Find the distance you can cast most accurately and fit the line to the rod that works the best at those distances. Also, practice with a fly that you will most often use on the flats. Casting a weighted clouser vs. a deceiver or flatwing will require a change in the casting stroke. Hope this helps and good luck!

Phil
Old 11-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Phil,
Some good advice there thanks.
I'm going to try both lines down the park with weighted flies and see what one suits me the best.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
resigned

Hopefully, the park has a pond. The overall true test will be using the rod line combo with water. Grass is very different. LOL!!!!!

Phil
Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

I wish I had a chance to use it on water but my fishing this time of year is on rivers where a 9wt is slightly over gunning to say the least.
In fact I only fish with a 8wt in the salt in the UK which won't be until next Summer now.
We are a bit short on local waters where I live,London.
I could do with a bit of water to practise my casting as the usual shouts of ' you won't catch nothing there mate' whilst down the park are wearing a bit thin

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Mark...I second the airflo lines, I have a fast sink, intermediate and floater......the last 2 being "ridge lines"............they perform very well and most importantly, they are all "well behaved".
My only comment is in response to the "blue line and flats fishing"....to be honest...the color has never been a problem for me using a 10ft leader.....as a matter of fact, my fishing buddy used a black fast sink line on the flats with an 8 ft leader and out fished me all summer...he had his best season in a few yrs., using that line...........line color/transparency may be an issue if the bass are in lock jaw state but when they are feeding, I have not seen an issue. I had one no wind/bluebird day on the flats last summer...they were snooked by the fly in the air...it was necessary to cast at least 10 ft in front of them and pay attention to the sun position and direction of the oncoming fish. Will let others chime in...would be interesting to hear their opinions, but for me...line color doesn't really seem to be much of a factor, if any at all.
Ron
Old 11-30-2010, 04:18 AM

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply.
The issue of line colour scaring fish always throws up a difference of opinions amongst fisherman regardless of the type of fishing. I fish rivers a fair bit and in my experience if the leader is long enough it doesn't make that much difference. I think false casting will scare the fish much more than line colour. As i have zero experience of flats fishing it is always interesting to hear other peoples opinions though.
I cast the Airflo Striper Inter yesterday(in the park again )and must say it suits my casting style more than the shooting head style of line like the 40+.
That could be more due to lack of experience casting this type of line though. I can definetly see some advantages if the wind is blowing a gale and you can't carry a longer line. I think i will keep practising with it to see if i can get better results.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree, line color isn't a big deal UNLESS flats fishing.

That's when high visibility line is the most problematic. The dilemma is sink rate vs. stealth. But even then, the angle of presentation (e.g. headshots) and 'leading' the cast well ahead of the fish's fright zone will go a long way and in some cases could get you more hookups over the course of the day.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I had a particular day last Spring when I watched the bright line spook fish. The situation: there was a large pod (50 or more fish) lazing around the flats in 4-6' of water and not spooking when in casting range. However, there were multiple mini-pods of 2's, 3's etc that were cruising haphazardly in the vicinity. Several times when I had a cast out to the large pod, a mini-pod would appear from 3 or 9 O'clock, turn and blow up as they came near the line, and turn the whole pod into goat-rope.

I experienced this big pod with surrounding cruisers three different times, and had much better results with a clear intermediate line. Light was about the same. Then again, perhaps it was just different fish.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Middle Aged Member

I have had instances where even the shadow cast by a suspended clear intermediate line would spook fish. This occurred in high sun with sun at your back super visibility that made the behavoir unmistakeble. I found that a black high density head cast way ahead of the cruisers and stuck to the bottom made the hookups easy. Almost like cheating. My only problem is that I hate the hi dense head where swinging a fly in hard running shallow water which I typically spend some time at on an outing. I like travelling light but I think I'll carry the extra spool when sight fishing next year.

Last edited by FredA; 12-01-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys.
It seems the best idea would be too play on the side of caution and go with a clear line. It would be stupid not to lower any chance of spooking the fish line wise.
As neither myself or my fishing partner have fished flats before we plan to hire a guide out for the first day to show us the ropes and hopefully reduce the chance of us spooking the fish other ways
Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Mark, re your comment of not spooking fish other ways....re flats fishing, there are a few things to avoid doing when flats fishing...the folllowing will reduce your chance of spooking fish on the flats:
1. If fishing with someone else....stand at least 150 ft apart....fishing side by side tends to create a "barrier" which fish will see and avoid (plus, being apart allows you and your partner an opportunity to view more of the flats);
2. Don't stand too deep in water (knee high at the most. Three reasons for this: a) most fish, even standing in knee deep water will be behind you in even shallower water 9the biggest fish I hooked was in 10 inches of water);
b) standing too deep, often prevents the fish from coming out of channels and or deeper water (again...a barrier); This applies even to fishing drops offs....stand a bit back from the drop off and you will see fish coming out of the deep onto the edge of the flat in 3 ft of water (if you are up to your basket, you are much too deep...knees/shin level is the ideal);
c) if you like sight fishing, seeing fish in water deeper than 3 ft is difficult esp if there is a chop;
d) try not to slosh around looking for fish....I like to get to a place on the flats and stand still for at least 5 minutes and look for fish....if none seen, walk another 50 ft and stand still again....fish will be spooked if you just constantly walk the flats...stop, look and enjoy!;
Lastly....if you see a fish...keep your feet still.....if not, you will kick up sand silt and if the fish is approaching against the current...kicking silt will spook them. it is sort of like hunting...ie scent downwind.
Hope that helps.
Ron
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Ron,
Thanks for advice and I'm sure it will be very helpful.

Mark

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.