This did not look fun - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 08:46 AM

This did not look fun

I wasn't up this weekend but it sounds like a scene between this and the Lady Irene.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb.../NEWS/11090316
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 AM

WoW, I am glad those guys are alive. Hate being a Monday morning quarterback But having spent a lot of time playing in such areas as that cut I can see the terror on their faces as they hit the wall. Picture out going tide with sea level on harbor side maybe a foot or two higher than sea level on ocean side. Out going tide moving at 6 to 8 knots into on coming 6 to 8 foot waves. What you get is a head on collision similiar to what happens when a car and a truck hit head on. The boat speeds up going over the bar as water speed increases to fill in the void between the two sea levels. The bow burys in the low side on the ocean side most likely on a suck out as a wave in forming in front of you, sort of like hitting the brakes on your car the front end goes down. Remember your stern is being pushed upward as the current rushing out of the bay flows under and against your stern your bow is very low in the water at this moment. You come to a complete stop just as the wall of water hits your deck forward, full force is like a bomb blast on your bullet proof glass windows. The entire boat shakes so violently as the wave hits dirrectly on deck and not the hulls v bow. If you did not have your safety harness on you would be out of the boat even though it stayed up right.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Yeah east wind and outgoing tide is as bad as the break gets usually. The wind just stands the current right up with a real short period.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Can't get this out of my mind, it had to be one scary moment. I know these boats are very good but I wonder if they are the right boat for the situation you have there. The old English double ender used in rescue may have been a better deal, may have I said. With a double ender the out going water would not have not raised the stern as much keeping the bow more level and when the wave hits the bow should raise some and try and punch through. But it is so shallow there that a prop driven boat would not have worked under those conditions, too shallow. Guess that is why both boats were jet driven. Guess under those conditions they should only use chopper rescue like they use on the west coast a lot. I remember when we lost 4 coast guard sailors here in Washington I think it was at the out flow of the Hoe River. Similiar situation but much bigger waves and at night. It was so bad I can't talk about it much but when one of those boats get upside down even though they are supposed to right and they are being dragged across the bar by 12 or 15 feet of breaking wave and the crew is fully harnessed in it is not good. There was nothing left of the cabin, restraining seats or the crew.
We have a great Coast guard in this country, one I am very proud of but I worry they are doing too much homeland security stuff and not enough time doing rescue practice.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Yeah this was pretty bad. I'm actually surprised things like this don't happen more often in the break, not with the CG but with recreational people. It's so nasty now. I've had my share of times coming back in that scared the hell out of me. We moved our boat over to stage harbor a couple seasons ago because we got so tired of dealing with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.