Hello From Another Brit - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Hello From Another Brit

Hi all,

Just want to say a quick hello.

I have been lurking on here for a while taking in all the quality info without actually posting.
Myself and a fellow Brit will be coming over at the beginning of June for the first time. We will be staying for exactly a week in Dennisport(like most other Brits).
Im very much looking forward to visiting your shores and hopefully experiencing what the Cape has to offer in regards to Bass fishing.
I recognise a few names on here from the UK and it seems im going to be a bit late for when a few of them visit(we are arriving on the 7th June).
No doubt i will posting a few questions in the near future,probably starting with a step by step of Juro's Deep Eel Pattern

Cheers,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM
President of CAC

Welcome Mark... looking forward to seeing you in the spring.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Striblue,

Thanks for the welcome.

I will probably meet a few of you on the shore or at the bar in Squires

Cheers,

Mark
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 AM

hey mark, see ya at the squire!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Boatdrinks(interesting username)

Yeah likewise mate,and by the way mine's a Bud

Mark
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsky
by the way mine's a Bud

Mark
I thought Bud was banned in the UK.....I believe the law mentioned something about it having "a dangerous deficiency of flavor, deemed to pose a serious threat to the taste buds and sensibilities of our great ale-drinking nation".
I'll have to drag you to the British Beer Company in Hyannis for some beer-batter fish and chips and a couple rounds of Fuller's 1845 (6.3% ABV bottle-conditioned strong ale) or Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA (9% ABV, 90 IBU India Pale Ale)- now THOSE are worthy brews
Flydoc, aka James Shepherd, M.D.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:03 AM

haha nothing wrong with a cold bud, when it comes to beer though my favorite is cape cod beach blonde although I think I just like it because of the name although I'll definitely drink drink draft narragansett at the Squire. I'm really a rum or wine drinker. The song "Boatdrinks" was written about Mount Gay and tonic, which is my favorite cocktail.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM

Ha, ha i thought that was what all you guys across the pond drank.

I have tried real ale but i just can't get into it. My favourite beer has to be Red Stripe but i will drink more ore less any beer if im thirsty enough .

Mmmmm.. beer battered fish 'n' chips,now your talking

I have tried the Mount Gay rum a few times although i have committed a sin im afraid by mixing it with Coke.

My favourite short has to be Black Sambuca,lovely as a chaser with a beer.

Im off to crack open a bottle of wine(Rioja) as all this talk of drink has made me thirsty...

Mark
Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 PM

red stripe is pretty good. I've just now been able to find red stripe light and red stripe in cans which come in very handy in the summer. I think the squire actually has red stripe in cans sometimes (I know the comber does).
Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Rioja, or red wine from Spain, can be good depending on the year. I was at Torres in April to sample some of their recent vintage. Some were good, some not
so good. Welcome to the dyslexic group on the forum. I'm one of the worst after the cocktail (wine hour).

Look forward to showing you around when you arrive.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:10 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

My current brew de jour is Ipswich Ale Oatmeal Stout, brewed in Ipswich, MA (not far from my hometown)- it's to beer what cappuccino is to coffee- dark and roasty, but with a subtle chocolaty sweetness- in a word, DELICIOUS.
Flydoc
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 AM

JimS,
Thanks for the welcome.
I must admit I'm no expert on the El Vino more a case of taste it, like it, buy a few bottles. I have never had a bad bottle of Rioja though.
It seems like you have a few local beers in the Cape which is good news as I'm sure I will be sampling a few when I visit.
The only smaller micro breweries we have in the UK tend to brew mainly real ales. There has definetly been a increase in interest in recent years towards these type of beers. No good for me as I can't stand the stuff.
Flydoc,
You sum up what my problem I have had with real ale type drinks. On paper they should be lovely but when I taste them I just don't like them. Maybe I just need some more practise.
Red Stripe always taste better in cans, no idea why.
Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-17-2010, 05:53 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Mark- Fair enough. I'll have to buy/squirrel away a few bottles of Sam Adams Noble Pilsner for you to sample- it's far and away the smoothest, tastiest pilsner-style lager I have yet to experience- only problem is that it's a "seasonal" brew that Sam Adams sells early each year (Feb-April?) before transitioning to their Summer Ale (a wheat ale flavored with lemon zest and a pepper-like spice- obviously NOT up your alley). I may also brew up another batch of Rich German Bock lager this winter(I do the homebrewing thing, in addition to sampling micro/craft brews from the store)- a very smooth but tasty amber bock-style lager. It turned out very good last year, as a couple of Forum buddies from New Hampshire can attest to.
As for your neck of the woods, I believe Samuel Smith's brewery in Yorkshire brews a decent pilsner lager, although I must admit I have yet to sample a bottle myself- maybe this weekend
See ya in the spring.
Flydoc
Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 AM

FlyDoc,
I look forward to it.
See you in the Spring for a bottle or two.
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.