VETERANS DAY.... Thank you! - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM

VETERANS DAY.... Thank you!

Last year I posted a thank you to all Veterans and asked you to give a brief story of when you were in the service and where you served.

The stories were fun to read and even if you repeat they are still interesting so please share.

Briefly I joined the Army in 1960 at 17 fresh out of high school. Went to Ft. Dix NJ then to Ft. Devens MA. My 50th enlistment anniversary was this past September. gasp!

Because I had good teeth and the dental services were limited in East Africa I was sent to a base there! My friends rolled on the floor the day I got that news!

Truthfully it was the greatest experience of my life. I loved it there. Was in a little country called Eritrea and volunteered to stay on another year rather than come back to the States and serve the rest of my time here.

Hope to hear some of your stories.

Thank you Veterans and current Service people!!!

Happy Birthday USMC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 07:31 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Talking my previous life on the Dark Side...

Those were the DAZE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks to all veterans for putting it on the line for our way of life in this great country!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Who is this youthful imposter?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Sadly, my Uncle Pete, a Korean war veteran of the vicious fighting at Pusan, Inchon, and the Chosin Reservoir, passed away this year after a brief fight with lung cancer. He was with "The Old Breed"- 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division- and my hero. His son (my cousin) Joe recently finished his own tour as a Navy lawyer in the JAG corps, and had just started his own family.

Semper Fi, Pete. I'm sure you and Chesty Puller are tossing back a few cold ones up there and recalling old war stories to each other.

James Shepherd, M.D., aka "Flydoc"
Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 AM

Great Pictures and Stories

Thanks for sharing guys.... great pics and stories..

There is a great disparity in age in my family such that some cousins were the same age as some of my uncles.

It was not until most of them had passed on that I learned that one had stormed Normandy, another was in the Battle of the Bulge, another was in North Africa, one went from France all the way to Germany, and one was a Marine who went through some of the most horrific island battles of the war.

Cannot tell you how sad I am that I can never thank them personally because like all great heroes of that era they never talked about it!

And as a final note...these kids fighting today are no less heroes to me than those of other generations. They deserve every bit of our respect and honor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.