Winter Reading Recomendations - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 10:02 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up Winter Reading Recomendations

Although not fishing related, I wanted to recomend three ... can't put down books ...for the non-fiction readers out there...!) Leviathan, The History of Whaling in America -by Jay Dolin.... everything you ever wanted to know about whaling history.....2) Winston's War, Churchil, 1940 -1945...by a great military History author, Max Hastings..Great look at Dunkirk, Battle of Britain..to the end of the War.....3) Atlantic , the latest book by Simon Winchester... excellent history of the Altlantic, though geology to Poliitics and everything in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 AM

how about something a little less intellectually stimulating like a good self absorbed political auto biography-maybe bush's new book or clinton's old one.

i saw a new retro "how to" book, i think by martha stewart, called "petticoats and petitfores" that sounds just about right. or maybe that soon to be released auto biography from one of the former dallas cowboy cheerleaders about her years playing with and for the cowboys. sure to be a pulitzer candidate.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
President of CAC

Is that another put down? or are you serious about that comment? It is either one or the other.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM

neither serious nor a put down. just juxtaposing your serious reading recommendations with what passes off as "literature" to many people these days. no put down intended-just the opposite in fact.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:02 PM

reading

I would recommend Cod o Salt both written by Peter Kaminski.

Larry
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
President of CAC

My mistake then...could not tell without the use of the smiley faces, etc.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I agree with Kaminski's Cod and Salt. Not fishing, but one that you truly won't be able to put down is a new book by John Vaillant . . . Tiger.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 AM

I think the books you guys are referring to are written by Mark Kurlansky and not Peter Kaminski.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
JR, you're absolutely right. Too quick to reply. And another of his good books is The Big Oyster, which should be the name for NYC (not the big apple).
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 AM
President of CAC

Yes, I have read Cod... and missed Salt...which I will pick up. Thanks
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
I 2nd Bills' recommendation, The Tiger. True story about a man eating Amur tiger in vintage eastern Russia.

Another non-fishing non-fiction book worth a read is Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne. It is about the rise and falle of the Commanches, the most powerful Indian tribe in America.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Here's one: "Upstream (a Voyage on The Connecticut River) , by Ben Bachman. Bachman goes in stages mostly by canoe from Long Island Sound up to the headwaters of the Connecticut Lakes on the NH/Canadian border. It is a very well written mixture of history,Geology,geography, industrial evolution and philosophy.

Keep the ideas coming, it is going to be a long winter.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
I second Jim's recommendation of Empire of the Summer Moon. It helps us
non-historians to better understand the conflict between settlers and the plain's Indians. It is an amazing story. Two thumbs up!

Steve
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM

Thanks everyone for some interesting reading tips. I have been getting into some history books of late and enjoying them. One book that is really interesting is "The Birth of the Modern World Society 1815-1830" by Paul Johnson. It's about the early start of the industrial age, 1000 pages so it will keep you busy for the winter. Fascinating to say the least.
A historical fiction book I just completed is " Imagining Argentina" By Lawrence Thorton. Story about the dark days of the late 1970's when thousands of Argentinians disappeared without a trace.
One my daughter gave me for my birthday is," Food of the Gods" by Terence McKenna. A radical history of plants, drugs, and human evolution.
Also I'm going to learn French starting this winter. Kind of funny but I can hardly write or speak English, maybe I will do that next.
Cheers
Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Middle Aged Member

A thread here or elsewhere reminded me that it was way past time to get re-aquainted with one of my favorite writers, John McPhee ("The Founding Fish", Coming Into the Country"). Also, I never got around to reading the third book in LeCarre's Smiley trilogy. Need to rectify that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.