DIY Rod Repair - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 PM

DIY Rod Repair

I have an inexpensive Daiwa 8' 6wt graphite rod that doesn't cast worth a *!@. As best I can tell, part of the problem is the first eye after the reel is 1/2 the diameter as the ones on my other rods. I have two 7' 4wt rods that out cast it by many feet. Another problem found and fixed is that, one of the snake guides had a hunk of unknown material on it. Thinking of attempting to replace the nadequate guide with a larger size. Am I bitting off more than I can chew? Will I have a problem removing the old guide?

Assume that I would need to build a jig to spin the rod on and a detent to mount the thread on between the supports. However, I'm not too sure of what thread to use. Are the guides glued directly to the rod? If so, which glue is best?

Any advice would be appreciated. My budget doesn't allow for the substitution of more expensive equiptment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Middle Aged Member

The first saltwater rod I bought was a 9 wgt Diamondback All American. The first guide is at least 1/2 the diameter of the typical guide. It's a very nice casting rod and I never thought the small guide was an impairment to its casting performance. My guess is that replacing the guide with a larger diameter will not yield the results you are looking for.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 AM

You don't need a jig to replace a guide (or to build a complete rod).
Put the thread spool in an empty jam jar, run the thread through a phone book to give it some tension and turn the rod by hand. I've built a lot of rods without a jig.

A turning jig is nice for the epoxy winding finish but you don't need a perfect finish if you're replacing a guide on a cheap rod.

Michael.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM
fish'n Hobo

If it is a quick fix and appearances are not critical.....you can do the treadwork with rod winding thread loaded in a bobbin... and coat the threads w/ CCG (a UV light cured epoxy).
The benefit of the ccg is that it cures in seconds and you will not have to spin the rod for a long time.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM

Thanks to all who took time to reply. Will try waxing the guides first to see if that helps before changing the guide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.