BI & MTK Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM

BI & MTK Report

Hi all -

Thought I'd report back on the last few days. Headed out to Block Island Thursday afternoon for a 3.5 day fishing marathon. We hit the water Thursday around 5pm and ran around the North Rip and the New Harbor opening and surrounding beaches. No love. No birds, no splashes ... nada.

Woke up at 4:30 am Friday morning and ran to Montauk in the dark. Got there at first light and found fish. Lots of fish ( i know - big surprise that Montauk is loaded in the end of September). Although there were not a lot of boats out early, there was the usual Montauk Madness. The worst offender was "Fin Chaser" in a double outboard - a guide in the NY/NJ area based on what I saw on the web. There were pods of fish everywhere, and we and another boat were setting up to drift into the pods. Then Fin Chaser would blast in with engines roaring, right into the middle of the pod, with his sport getting off maybe one cast as the pod sounded. Silliness. If anyone knows those guys (looks like they run multiple boats), I'd respectfully suggest a conversation - whoever was driving Friday at MTK probably cost his sports more fish and real shots than they actually got because of gunning right over fish.

Anyway, we moved farther south away from the point, and we found pod after pod of fish, and no other boats. Tons of stripers, some blues mixed in, and lots of albies as they day got later. Some of the bass blitzes were unreal - looked liked carp in a coy pond at feeding time - fish on top of fish on top of fish, just slurping away, sometimes so close to shore that we had to just watch (no desire to be in the surf zone in our boat).

By 4pm we were exhausted, and headed back to BI. We landed 7 albies, 3 blues and we literally lost count of how many bass we landed. Bass were cookie cutter - 26 to 30 inches. Flies did not matter for the bass and blues, but the albies were finicky, particularly as the day went on. In the end, little 2 inch bay anchovie patterns with a red or brown back were the key.

On Saturday it was honkin in the morning, so the run to Montauk was out. We looked around a bit in the slop, and then decided to get out of the boat and spend the day fishing from shore. We went to an east facing beach where my buddy had seen stripers a few weeks earlier and proceeded to walk up and down the beach. The beach had a great light colored sand bottom, and the water was clear. All in all we probably saw 30 stripers, all in ones and twos moving in the shallow water. Real shallow - like 12 inches. We had out shots, and in the end I landed two (24 to 26 inchers - not huge but a blast in shallow water). Completely different type of fishing than the blitz at Montauk, but really fun - it's been a while since I've had some much fun stalking and sight casting.

Saturday afternoon we hiked out to the North rip and fished for awhile, but nothing happening for us or the surf casters.

Sunday am we ran to Montauk again. It was a ZOO, even in the slop. No place to hide from the other boats. We quickly landed three more albies and one striper before deciding that the swells were building enough that it was time to get back to BI before the run got unbearable. Fished around BI on the South West side for a bit in the boulder fields - one hook up, felt big, then gone ......

Took the early boat home and made it back in time for my boy's soccer game.

Not sure if BI will heat up, but obviously anyone who has the opportunity to hit Montauk (DURING THE WEEK!) could find worse ways to spend their time ....

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

Excellent report!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Jay, was there still a lot of buzz about the police cheif's rescue swim last week? Did you hear if they were able to salvage the boat?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtloon
Jay, was there still a lot of buzz about the police cheif's rescue swim last week? Did you hear if they were able to salvage the boat?
They did salvage the boat - they had a pic in the local Block Island paper. Pretty beat up. That police chief really put himself in harm's way - those guys were lucky ....
Old 09-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Rupe

I'm on BI 20th to 23rd Oct, so hoping it hots up a bit by then. If anyones about for a fish let me know. Intersting to hear about sight casting the fish of the beach. Last time I was there in the Autumn I found the day time bite super slow (apart from the scup, which were quite fun on an 8#), so could so with a plan B. Is that beach normally a bet for crusing fish J? - I think I know the one you mention.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupe
I'm on BI 20th to 23rd Oct, so hoping it hots up a bit by then. If anyones about for a fish let me know. Intersting to hear about sight casting the fish of the beach. Last time I was there in the Autumn I found the day time bite super slow (apart from the scup, which were quite fun on an 8#), so could so with a plan B. Is that beach normally a bet for crusing fish J? - I think I know the one you mention.
My friend (with the family house out there) says he sees fish cruising that beach all summer, starting in late May/early June. In July and August it's basically unfishable because there are so many sun bathers, swimmers etc., but he still sees fish (he tells his daughter he'll give her a pony if she catches one with her hands - no pony has been purchased yet!) I suspect it's the same one you are talking about - when we were there there was another fly guy doing the same thing we were doing - just walking along on the crown of the high tide mark and looking into the water t, then moving down to cast when we saw fish. If you need more details, just PM me.

Cheers

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.