hello - from a "follower" and now a participator - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Bruce

hello - from a "follower" and now a participator

Gang,

What an awesome forum you all having going here. I've been lurking on this board for over a year and feel I know each of you as personal friends just from your board. Well, enough lurking... Just want to say Hi and introduce myself.

I've started flyfishing in the salt about 1993 and managed to make it to Martha's vineyard each year ever since. I've been intrigued about the Cape, and made 2 trips in 2008 and 2009. I didn't do great, but really liked what I saw. The whole Monomoy flats fishing just has me intrigued and wanting more. I thought I was a proficient caster until I saw my first striper on the flats coming towards me. It must have been pretty histerical watching me try to lay out a cast. well, my plan is to shift my fishing from MV to the cape (I can hear the groans now... more fishermen..).

I like to hit the Cape for Albies and stripers this fall, instead of MV, and would like to try the Chatham area. Do you get a strong Albie run? I haven't heard/seen much regarding Albies on the board, although I have not done a search.

Would anyone be interested in doing some fly fishing in mid-Sept? I'm hoping to get up from PA for a few days, or maybe just meeting you guys for a few at the Squire would be great (I have the first round).

thanks and hoping to meet the group sometime...

Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Welcome aboard Bruce -

Chatham is at the vertex of intersecting ecosystems - atlantic, nantucket sound, and not far to the north bayside, national seashore extending north, etc.

We usually get a compression of albies and bonito in Nantucket Sound around the Monomoy Islands and sometimes around the corner on the highbanks outside, infrequently they run all the way up inside Pleasant Bay and terrorize the bait for weeks well past Ryder Cove, but I would say if you're looking for more consistent shots the volumes and time frames are bigger around Vineyard Sound.

The past few years since the southway closed I've seen them along the drop off on the Common Flats westside of North Monomoy in the fall.

That being said if you have a boat and fish over the next several weeks you should have plenty of action here, then when the water cools down the bass and blues action will be hot and heavy thru October as the migration gets them rounding the corner westward.

You should also give Waquiot Bay a try, and the camping on Washburn Island is hard to beat. You can drop anchor on the shore and camp in the lee right on the water just inside the Succonesset and other shoals which can be really hot for albies and bonito if you hit the timing right.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
President of CAC

Welcome and I am glad I did not scare you off.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Bruce

awesome stuff guys - you've given me something to think about. I don't have a boat and usually fish from shore (maybe I'll get a kayak someday). MV fall run of stripers (from the shore) have been non-existent for the past 5 years (at least when I'm there). Shorts or schooling fish have not been around at all. I'm very intrigued about the fall migration of stripers and blues. It has been so long since I've seen a good fall migration and some blitzing fish. Looks like there needs to be multiple fall trips... Albies, and stripers and blues oh my... Too many fish... not enough time.

If I remember correctly, I might have seen you and the group in 2009. I was fishing stage harbor dunes (I think it was mid-June) and a large group came up by me (a few fly fishers adults and a bunch of kids). someone asked if it was OK to fish where I was... Well, anyone who is teaching kids to fly fish is MORE THEN WELCOME and I gladly gave up my spot. It didn't hit me at the time until I read the board and the service you offer to the kids, Was that your group? If it was, I'd be interested in coordinating my vacation time and helping out next year. Nothing is more satisfying then teaching kids to fly fish.

Well, I'm going to work on mid-September and October to get up and fish the area. Great meeting you guys. Hope to see you on the beach.

Anyone have experience with switch-rods? MY thought is that it might be a good alternative for hitting the outter beaches...
thanks - Bruce
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bruce -

I've quite a bit of experience with them and we could definitely benefit from having them on the big beaches (Nauset, SB, etc). Bring what you have, I have additional rods to try as well including those I designed and those made by Beulah.

My preference is for dedicated two-hand overhead rods out there, where I love a good switch rod on smaller steelhead and salmon rivers out west. For bigger rivers the classic Spey gear and casting technique is the perfect approach.

Keep checking the site for updates on what's going on. Fishing has been very good out in the rips lately and the flats have had some great fish on them albeit they are in the summer funk and playing hard to get, which makes our game that much better in the pursuit.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Albies

Welcome to the Forum.

FYI - the hard tail fishing on MV is generally much better than the mainland side of the cape, especially if you are fishing on foot. If you seriously want to target Albies, you also might want to consider Montauk/CT/RI instead.

The cape is beautiful in the fall and hard to beat for bass fishing. If you want to mix in some hardtails your best bet would probably be from Buzzards Bay to Cotuit on the south side. Chatham is kind of a crapshoot for Albies because it's at the fringe of their northern range.

It's different every year!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Beginning the end of August thru sometime in October, I'll be fishing somewhere around the elbow (Chatham) daily. This can be the best of the best or mediocre, at best. Bait is the deciding factor. Shoot me a pm sometime and I can update you on activity or lack thereof. Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.