New Rules of Conduct - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM
President of CAC

New Rules of Conduct

This sounds nuts, but I found these rules of conduct .

1. Flyfishers should always be sure to step on the dock when departing a boat.
2. Kissing caught fish is prohibited by REAL men.
3. Flyrods. Are now referred to as "my little fishing rod"..(Be sure to include the word fishing as the reference may be subject to unwanted interpretation)
4. "Fly Fishing" is now referred to as "fishing with a fly rod".or for the purists among you,"fishing with my little fishing rod."
5. Use of shotguns is prohibited, it is far more sporting to use a 9mm or 45 acp. Only highly accomplished flyfishers should use a 22. Guns are now referred to as "my little fishing rod".
6. Spear guns are now allowed, only with the appropriate grain line.
7.Dynamite should only be thrown or dropped from a moving boat as a safety measure.
8. Flys are now referred too as "Artificial lures containing natural feathers or synthetic material. Referred to a Alcnf's.(Pronoucned- alsniff)
9. Casting an alcnf shall include snapping the rod so that the alcnf falls only a few feet away and shall be considered a cast. Do not confuse this with simply dropping the alcnf overboard although the rule makers are struggling to find the difference.
10. No more rediculous fish stories are allowed while fishing.

God... What is that all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Everybody gotta have a code.
Jon
Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
President of CAC

Ok...ok...I confess...I did it and did not find it . I am sorry..it is just I was sitting on my deck...thinking about Quantum mechanics, string theory, black holes, why are we here? 1here do we come from...and working out the unfinished mathematical equation that Enstein was working on before he died...the theory of everything... And then it hit me...like a ton of bricks....my ego took over...yes...I will be remembered for the new code. The points just came to me like on auto pilot.... But in reality I though how absurd this flyfishing thing is, definitions, purists...when all along is is just about fishing and there is no secret society, no uniform method to do anything specific when fishing... Even the reference to the fist so called fly in the greek reference, which I forget .Marcellius or something...which was actually used in salt water....or the indians of the PNW, 8 thousand years ago...who put a deer hair plug on a long pole...lowered it down....then at the needed depth yanked it up releasing the deer plug and speared the fish as the rose chasing the lure...very similar to our spun deer hair today....use of "something" to attract quarry...even Walton,(I raise myself from my chair as I type the name) had a minnow fly. I could go on and on but will not..This is why I react to assertions which are not fully looked at from a larger historical perspective....that's all
Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 PM

A pursuit for which there is no known purpose.
Jon
Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM
President of CAC

I am sorry, but I do not understand one liners such as this.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 PM

A bit of a non sequitor, I got thrown off by a G&T, it was really in response to "what is this all about?"
Jon
Old 08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
President of CAC

Well.. That was what I thought except I think it is not a non sequitor at all. I think you know what -l mean in all this and did not expect pithy one liners. I feel it was worth to discussion and , to be polite I feel that short one liners can appear arogant..but that's just me and I stand corrected if misinterpreted. I also wanted to inject a little humor even though it may not be thought that way.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 PM

Well John....at least you weren't sitting on your deck contemplating your navel
For the record...the above was intended as humor
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM

I was not trying to be a jerk, please forgive anything you feel inappropriate .
Jon
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 PM
President of CAC

Perhaps I am misunderstood, you have nothing to appologize for nor do I think you acted like a jerk...my absurd list was a failed attempt to engage in healthy debate. Your raising of Halford on a sister thread had me hooked that we can hash this out...that was all.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM

I'm going fishing, the wind has dropped and navigating in a kayak is possible, maybe I can find a fish to pull on my line. That is the cure for all misunderstandings.
Jon
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
I'll be sure to follow rule #1 when getting on or off the Rip Ryder....

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 08-07-2010, 07:51 PM

John,
I think you really need to be fishing more & sitting at your desk less

Gary: ROFLMFAO
Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 AM
In moderation

If we are talking about definitions then what is the difference between angling and fishing?

Angling is hunting for fish using a pole or angle.

For it to be fishing the fish have to join in.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
President of CAC

Pete raises a good point. My basis problem has been overstated. I think codes of sportsmanship are above techniques providing legal and I go so far as to say moral as well. But I have a disdain for elitism in the sport and I lectured my clases while running the Orvis saltwater fishing school on the subject. "Don't leave here thinking your special, you are not...before you learn anything you must like to fish period." I often thing about the father fishing off a bridge with his little boy with bait on a casting or spinning rod, or the father watching his son skim boarding on the beach as he watches his staked beach rods for the slightest movement calling his boy or daughter over to grab the rod with a nice bluefish on., or MY father fishing with me in northern Quebec in the 50's and early 60's for speckled and lake trout, with spinning and fly...saying , "Johnny, look at those water skimmers...let's grab one and put it on the hook of this fly line and see what happens. " Those are what counts...not what Lord Halford thought (never personally knew the guy and if I did I would have probably worked for him, as he galavanted around the countryside playing)...great stuff no doubt, but does not move me, and not something that I NEED to copy. Good sportsmanship is something you know when you see It. My father was a good sportsman...the bait guys who are my pals at the Brewster Sportsmans and Cape Cod fish and Game are good sportsman and probably never heard about Halford, nor do the Need too....I react strongly on this forum as I have, perhaps too strongly in the past. I also know clearly that we all have different opinions...but sometimes it is the way an opinion is expressed...with arrogance and some indirect disdain, an opinion can be a put down...My opinion is that there is NO Art form to fly fishing (despite that tying flies is considered an art form) . The elitists of flyfishing are a joke... And it must reflect from some other aspect of their lives...the need to be special. Making another fisherman feel bad because he does something just reinforces the disdain a lot of guys feel about flyfishing. Guys who I know at these sportsmams club and it reflects in their feelings. These elitist are the same who would go up to that father who has a live minnow on the end of his fly line ( because he likes to use his rod) while that father is trying to catch a fish next to his son who has a spinning rod with a line over the side...making life long good feeling memories between the two of the....and the elitist would say they the father is not really flyfishing..the little boy would never forget that...perhaps the look on his fathers face, trying to control his temper, and saying to his son.."forget what he said"... The little boy would not and deep down feel bad for his father..(Although in a positive it provides the father with an opportunity to give the boy a lesson on life)....all doing something fun intended to create memories and fun between them.... I dislike all elitist (not the person...just the thinking to be clear) and bTW...I can cast and tie flies better than most
Elitist. The end

Last edited by striblue; 08-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.