Relocated My Center, What Was I Thinking and TMC 811S's - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Middle Aged Member

Relocated My Center, What Was I Thinking and TMC 811S's

After focusing on impossible hi sun fish at the turn for a week and a half I fished a couple of ideal time and tide stage mornings... and refound the charm of my home waters. The month of June tide cycles sucked for the daybreak weekend fisherman.

I don't know why I insist on taking the week of the 4th off. Far too many people, yahoos in boats and water scooters, and fishers casting while in water up to thier armpits.

I've never had a problem opening up 1/0 811s hooks until this year. Lost a nice fish on my first cast this morning when the hook opened. Note that I put severe pressure on fish and maybe it's become more severe but I'm thinking I got a soft pack of hooks. Anybody else seeing this with 811s, 1/0?
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Sorry to say I have opened up quite a few of them. It's too bad because they are the perfect hooks for flats flies. I will take some of the blame since I never fish lighter than 20# and have a tendency to derrick in the fish. They are OK in the bigger sizes, 3/0, 4/0 etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Might want to try the Gamakatsu SL12S. I don't think you will open them. Downside is they are plated.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Middle Aged Member

I like plated carbon steel for low light/spring flies. I use EC413 jig hooks for my bucktail clousers and they work great. But they are too sparkly for the flats in sunlight, in my opinion. I always open size one 811s on decent fish but have never opened size 1/0's, (fish to 25#'s or so) except when they get hung up. Also I was able to bring back the one this morning with the pliers, though it opened up on the next fish. Normally if I try to "fix" an 811 they break which leads me to think this batch of hooks are a bit more soft (ductile) than they are traditionally. Anybody know what grade of stainless these hooks are made of.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM

sorry to change subject a bit here but been wondering about hook selection myself. I got a bunch of mustad 34007s and have been tying on them. do they fall in the flashy category?
also, what size hooks and eyes are you guys using for smaller flats clousers? Just moved back from wyoming after being gone for 6 years so trying to restock my boxes. Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM

If you're worried about hook reflectiveness you can always cover them with model paint in whatever flat color you desire, I never use flash of any kind on my flies for midday fishing but I don't think I've had refusals because my hooks were too shiny, I use EC067S's which are the same finish as the 413s mentioned. My .02.
Jon
Old 07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Musqtad 34007 are not flashy and fine for clousers, if you sharpen them. Sze 2 and 4 are go to sizes on the flats. If used to imitate sand eels, tie sparse, no flash and either brown or olive over white.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have had a soft batch 1 or 2 times over what is approaching 20 yrs of use without a sharpening. but if you are using 1/0 or bigger you are pulling too hard I never open them but for those fishing from boats the LANDING process adds extreme stress. I'd return them or better yet tell TMC about it.
They are a Japanese company driven to achieve excellence in hook technology.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
I have had a soft batch 1 or 2 times over what is approaching 20 yrs
That's what I was looking for. I don't want to over react, the hook is perfect for the fishing I do, but my confidence in the hook took a hit. I do pull hard, harder and more harder. Haven't seen much, if any, backing on a striper in a few years (no memory fish in three years but some supercharged fish to 34"). Most all my fishing is on foot in shallow water.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:02 AM

thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.