flouro - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM

flouro

I fish hitched flies. I have had some trouble over the years with certain brands of flouro carbon lines breaking at the half hitch either around the head or the eye of the fly.
Lost a good fish this week because of this.Was using Rio' Flouroflex 9lbs. Can anyone recommend a line that will avoid this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcher
I fish hitched flies. I have had some trouble over the years with certain brands of flouro carbon lines breaking at the half hitch either around the head or the eye of the fly.
Lost a good fish this week because of this.Was using Rio' Flouroflex 9lbs. Can anyone recommend a line that will avoid this?
Maxima UltraGreen or Chameleon. I can't imagine what the advantage would be to use FC with a hitched fly. The disadvantages are numerous, including being a lot fussier with knots. Most FC also tends to be rather brittle in cold water.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Flouro

These fish are not leader shy and as stated above you should really use Maxima if you want a closer look at the fish. I just came back from the Gaspe and my friend lost a very nice fish for the very same reason. When I asked why he was using it he really did not have an answer.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Maxima has been the leader of choice.

Maxima has been the leader of choice for salmon fishing since I started in the early 70s.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 AM

I agree with you all about Maxima. I have never had trouble with it either.
As for these fish not being leader shy, I would not agree. Sure a fresh silver will probably be less, but changing to flouro when a pool is bombarded by fishermen all day, has made the difference for me on a number of occasions.
I use maxima when the situation calls for it. I add a flouro tippet when I know the salmon have seen everything under the sun for most part of the day.
I appreciate you all taking the time to answer, but the question still remains; can anyone recommend a good flouro carbon line?
Old 06-27-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I appreciate you all taking the time to answer, but the question still remains; can anyone recommend a good flouro carbon line?
Actually, your original post did not ask which is the best FC line, only which is the best line. That's why I answered it as I did. Secondly, I can see some situations where using FC might be an advantage on fish that have seen a lot of pressure. My point was that I can't see how it would make a difference on hitched presentation. Finally, my FC experience is more toward saltwater uses, but the brands I like best are SeaGuar and Drennan. I'm also quite fond of the original Rio FluoroFlex. The key would be to try several of these and see how brittle they become in cold water IF you fish for Atlantics during that time when the water temps are below 60*F (@16*C). Also, on the internet are several pages that describe the best knots for FC. The problem is that there's really only one important knot used for hitching, and I'll bet that knot (the hitch, or more correctly one or two half-hitches) isn't very strong with FC. At the very least I would avoid the soft FC material (like SeaGuar Grand Max and Rio FluororFlex Plus) and try those with a tougher outer shell. While that should minimize the cutting effect of the hitch, my experience is that those FC's with the tougher shell are also more brittle. It really is a Catch-22, which is why I use Maxima for hitched presentations. Also consider moving to a stronger FC than 9#. I catch more bonefish on 15-18# FC than I ever did with 10# Maxima Clear.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:31 PM

I'll echo what Jim has just posted .Having said that I've had some seriuos issues with the 15lb Rio and I mean SERIOUS issues .I thought it was a bad batch from 4 yrs back but returned this yr. . The 13 and 8lb seem to hold up extremely well
Cheers
Brian
Old 06-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Orvis Maxknot Mirage is the best flouro I've used and I've pretty much tried them all. Not to be confused with the other flouro they call Mirage - only the small maxknot spools that go up to 0x only. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

BTW I don't use flouro until mid-summer, and only for tippet. Maxima ultragreen from butt to taper - stealthy and strong and makes a very good knot.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Juro, what knot do you use to go from your Maxima to the FC when adding tippet? I find that connection is the weakest link. Standard blood knots haven't worked for me. Back-to-back Uni's are better, but still not as strong as the tippet to fly knot. I love surgeon's knots for many purposes, but have found that wanting, too. The best I've found is the knot Lefty refers to as the Simple Blood Knot, and to which I've also seen referred to as the ligature knot. Have you found something that actually creates a strong connection so that the failure would usually be at the fly?
Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM

For flats fishing to stripers using 0x to 12 or 15# maxima I've had no issues with blood knots (knock on wood) and same for bonefish using 1x to 10# maxima. These are 'rope' in the trout world but I can't comment on that since I've not tried this combination in very light tippet / leader situations yet. For steelhead I've stuck with ultragreen straight through for so long I'm not about to switch now

I'm actually really blown away by the strength of the maxknot mirage 0x tippet for spooky saltwater gamefish on sunny flats. I've been pulling fish onto boats, landing them in a rumbling surf with a hand on the leader, rarely if ever an issue with strength when used with the double bowline loop.

Last edited by juro; 06-27-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
For flats fishing to stripers using 0x to 12 or 15# maxima I've had no issues with blood knots (knock on wood) and same for bonefish using 1x to 10# maxima. These are 'rope' in the trout world but I can't comment on that since I've not tried this combination in very light tippet / leader situations yet. For steelhead I've stuck with ultragreen straight through for so long I'm not about to switch now
Maybe I put too much pressure on the fish, but I can't trust either knot when striper or bonefishing. I almost never use FC in freshwater (except for carp), but use it most of the time in salt. I've gone to the total FC leader to minimize the problem. While making leaders at home, I can always use a blood knot and then use a good superglue like Loctite 406 to reinforce the knot, but doing that while on the water leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, thanks for the quick response. I agree with the all Maxima for salmon and steelhead. I tend to use Chameleon (sp?) more than the UltraGreen, but will often use UG as the tippet on an all Chameleon leader. Still tough to beat after all these years!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:29 PM

Per the full flouro leader, I've noticed it does turn over very nicely when you use the stiffer flouro all the way thru the butt and taper especially when Spey casting.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 PM

I've been hitching since 1964. It is my favorite way to fish for Atlantic Salmon. I learned early on you can't use a light leader when hitching. The half hitch has a tendency to cut itself off after a short way into the battle when it is too small. Don't worry about the leader diameter. My friend, David Horn, the best and most successful hitcher I have ever known, used 20# Maxima. My favorite leader material has always been Maxima from the time is came on the market. I currently use Maxima Fluorocarbon and wouldn't use anything less than 12# test for hitching.

Earle Fletcher
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your recommendations. I will certainly give them a try.
I have tried the Maxima Flourocarbon, but never more than 10 # when hitching. I will have to try bigger diameter.
I used to use Seaguar FW with good results, but again in 8# or more. I can't find it anymore. Don't like the Grand Max.

The one I prefered the most was Drennan. It is as "stiff" as Maxima & never had an issue with knot slippage. It came in a 50 m green spool. I can't find it anywhere.(If someone knows where to get it, please tell me)
I have gone as low as 4#
I usally don't go that low, but it was one of those days where I was experimenting because the fishing was slow all week. I was fishing the Matapedia with a few friends and none of us even rose a fish. It was the trend with many of the guides & anglers we spoke to.

I was seeing a salmon roll in the same lie for about an hour. I hitched a modified blue rat with Drennan 10#, then 8, then 6. Needless to say I rose him on the 4# & hooked him on the second cast. I thought I would surely break him off, but 15 minutes later, he was released . Fresh 15lbs.
I really leaned into him and the leader held its own.

I thought it may have been chance that I got him to the fly with 4# Flouro. I was thinking that after I had hitched that same blue rat over him enough times, he would hit on 4# or 12# the same. That is until my very next pass with the same hitched fly. I hooked and fought another fish of about 12 lbs. I had him at my knees trying to tail him while holding the leader with my hand. One last thrash of its tail & it broke me off.
I had risen one more salmon that day using 4# while the books at the Zec had no fish reported caught.

This story doesn't make me "one helluva fisherman", it just made me a believer in small diameter flouro. This may have only been chance or a being in the right place at the right time, but it has happened to me on two other occassions on two different rivers.

In the end, as is with all tricks and kinks, it is a matter of my confidence. As we all know we fish better when are confidence is high. I do anyway.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:

The one I prefered the most was Drennan. It is as "stiff" as Maxima & never had an issue with knot slippage. It came in a 50 m green spool. I can't find it anywhere.(If someone knows where to get it, please tell me)
I've been told that Drennan is no longer available. This comes from a gear fisherman, but so far I think it's been totally accurate. It seems a company called Sunline actually marketed the FC that had the Drennan name. Drennan had Sunline put the Drennan label on 50m spools and change the # rating. In other words, the Drennan 12# was actually Sunline 15#. Just about the time I became aware of Drennan and stocked up on a bunch it evidently went off the market. I've been told that Sunline is available, and I've found a couple of places on the net that sells it. I haven't bought any yet because I have nearly a lifetime supply of FC as it is. The heaviest Sunline I've found is 20#, but I don't think Drennan was available in anything more than 12#. Do a Google search for Sunline Fluorocarbon, and I think you'll find what you want.

EDIT: I just did a Google search for Drennan and they still have a couple of sites that lists it. Whether, in fact, they still have some in stock is another matter. Give it a try and then try Sunline, which I believe is available up to 20#.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.