quivet saturday-lessons learned - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:17 PM

quivet saturday-lessons learned

11:30 a.m. low tide, not a cloud in the sky but quite windy from the south south west. lots of big fish traveling solo or ocaisionally in groups of 2, and a few time in groups of 3, but no more. i was the only fly fisher out there although there were plenty of bait and boat guys.

on the outside at the low, the water was choppy due to the wind but it was not hard to spot the fish, although they were often too close by the time i saw most of them. for those i spotted that were farther out i used the deep eel with an intermediate sinking line. the wind was a good 20+ and often gustng higher. i simply could not make a quality, on target cast. funny, but none of the boat nor bait guys were hooking up either. too many eels in the water i suppose. the place was swarming with clouds of live eels..

so as it got a couple of hours into the tide, i headed for the inlet creeks. the water was quite shallow and i could see large fish everywhere. however the intermediate line with the deep eel just spooked the hell out of them.

had i brought a floating line with a non weighted eel pattern i am confident that i could have dramatically increased my chances with more precision casts with little splash to 40-70 ft fish. but as it was , i had to either lead them too much or get too close and spook them.

NADA for my efforts.

the lesson-be prepared
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Interesting - but I have been fishing there regularly with success on foot, less from a boat. Spookage was a function of leading the cast and the shadow of the boat. Total turn off to the fish within a 60 foot radius, like someone hit a switch.

While fishing on foot big stripers rarely spook from a deep eel and intermediate line unless the cast is too close or the line is visible and crossing the column. I use a clear intermediate or a sinking line there depending on currents and see the fish's reactions, they are not spooking, They may not always eat, but they are calmly inspecting, eating it or rejecting.

Wow today would be a great day to be out there....
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Middle Aged Member

Boy, what a crappy tide cycle this month for the sunrise to 8:00am weekend warrior.

Agree with Juro that if you present the fly with sufficient lead those fish won't spook. Unfortunately most of us mortals don't get to fish enough to hone those skills. I've had some turn-around succes by going from a floating or intermediate to a high density head that sticks to the sand. Throw the fly out well in advance, let it sit and when the fish approach twitch and drag the fly with small strips. My feeling is that line shadows from an intermediate or floating line will cause serious spookage if the presentation ain't right. And with a clear intermediate I seldom have a clue where the line is. You can see the dark high density line. Note that I don't like fishing the HD line in fast, shallow current.

In bright sun a very translucent tan deep eel is pretty reliable. I've been fishing with a bucktail clousure in Ray's fly colors and had repeated follows with no takes. Tie on a tan deep eel and bang.

Of course, 8 out of 10 times in those conditions I just get lucky or flail away while frustration builds.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM

I gave it a shot from the kayak on Friday. I get out of the kayak and fish from foot. Conditions were perfect with a high sun and no wind. A little wind might have actually been helpful. My results were similar. I cast my fly well in advance of the fish and often times just let the fly drift into the fish. Something in my set up was spooking the fish. As soon as the line got near them they would dash away. I had a clear intermediate outbound line, about 12-13 feet of 10# flouro and tried eel patterns, crab patterns, and shrimp patterns.

That is the most fish I have ever seen on any flat. There were also many more fishermen out there than I'm used to seeing. Most were using live sand eels and catching an occassional fish.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Could be the fish were in a moderate state of spook and just too nervous to eat, flash on your fly under such conditions can also scare fish from quite a distance. Sparse muted color flies with the right amount of weight, long leaders and a presentation that puts the fly at the level of the fish, are the most important factors. Sometimes the fish will frustrate you no matter what.
Jon
Old 06-21-2010, 01:18 PM

As Yogi might have said if he was a fly fisherman...."All men are smarter than fish, but sometimes the fish know more"
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Everybody - please use high contrast flies.... bright green, pink even black. Thank you.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
Everybody - please use high contrast flies.... bright green, pink even black. Thank you.
...and I hear the Southway reopened.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.