Race Point Quesitons? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
I remember sometimes...,

Race Point Quesitons?

Hi Guys
I have never fished Race Point. I am going to be back on Cape next week. I would like to try it. I will be wading. I know that I take Race Point Road off Rte 6, but don't know much more.
Can anyone give me some better instructions/directions?
Also, any info about parking and what direction to head once I hit the water, is appreciated.
Any line or tide suggestions will also be helpful.
Thanks
Dennis
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

The race

You can also go in from the Herring Cove parking lots and fish your way out to the point, you'll want to do it on the drop because you have to cross in inlets to Herring Cove and get back before they become impassable. I like this route because I think there is a greater possibility of running into some fish on the walk out. A kayak is also a good way to get out and lets you worry less about tide timing. Also of note, the cove inlets have small flats that sometimes have visible fish on them. The water all along here is not very deep, I use an intermediate sink tip and moderately weighted flies, this setup seems to get down to the fish pretty well. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I remember sometimes...,

Thanks Jon
Is herring cove off rte 6?
Any landmarks I need to be looking for?
Cheers
DK
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 PM

There is sign right near the end of Rt 6. I would suggest taking a look at google maps, you'll see the parking lots and Herring Cove beach the inlets etc., the walk out is about the same as going out the other way from the Race lot.
jon
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM

That far up the cape everything's off route 6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM

To go to Race Point it's a well marked right off of Rt. 6.....then a couple miles to the beach parking. Either way on the beach...going left leads to the Point itself, but you'll need to go past the RV campgrounds etc.

For Herring Cove, head all the way out Rt. 6, again a right and the beach parking is essentially immediately to the left. Couple options here. There are a couple rock jetties immediately in front of the bathhouse and to the south (left as you face the water) that hold fish. The alternative is going all the way north in the parking lot (to the right as you drive in) and then walking north to Hatches Harbor inlet / Race point....I like that option better these days.

Better still is a kayak, provided weather cooperates...I've launched off race point beach before, but Herring Cove is generally better / safer. From either location, you should expect to have company in the form of loads of boats, but I really haven't had trouble with them.....

Typically find LOADS of fish out there from the kayak, and the amount of bait in the water (sand-eels mostly) can be ridiculous...just acres.

I'll be looking to head up there either Sat or Sun AM this coming weekend with the kayak.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM

I fished Race Point a couple of times last week'
The bait of the day was sea herring of about 2 inches or a little better.
There was a blitz Thursday morning on the in coming tide that left thousands of the herring in the wrack line at the drop.
My buddy and I arrived right at high tide....and at the end of the action,of course
Mung has moved in from Race Point down through the Truro beaches and was very thick in the holes near Head of the Meadow/Coast Guard. The first 'clean' water, as of last Friday, was at Newcomb Hollow. The bait of the day there was the sea herring also, as it was all the way to Marconi (and maybe beyond).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.