Gear check - best saltwater wading shoes for stockingfoot waders? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gear check - best saltwater wading shoes for stockingfoot waders?

OK - my incredible one-of-a-kind ninja boots are falling apart and it's time to find the next sand-proof lightweight wading shoe to deal with northeastern surf, flats and beach conditions.

Criteria:
1) no sand invasion
2) hiking / athletic sole and support for long beach marches
3) lightweight
4) corrosion proof
5) non-startling color for flats fishing
6) price

in that order.

What does the collective wisdom of the Worldwide Flyfishing Forum say is the current leading edge shoe for this purpose?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 PM

boots

Patagonia riverwalker sticky, very light, super easy on and off, comfortable, must be paired with good gravel guards to keep sand intrusion to a very acceptable minimum, not particularly cheap but regularly available on Ebay for way less than the $160 list, you'll probably want a size larger than you've traditionally bought so check before buying. Good luck.
Jon
Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 AM

Good recommendation - you're not the first to mention those. The shoes I have enjoyed for years have no sand invasion without gaitors. I'd like to find that if possible, being a first priority criteria or perhaps gaitors that are attached to the waders and completely effective.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM

I think this thread exposes the possibility that there simply are no good solutions for the northeastern saltwater shore angler out there!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM

boots

I guess I have to agree with you on that, it's a matter of making the best of a poor selection of choices, I think the Patagonias are basically very good but absolutely require gaitors, which increase the total weight that you're hauling around. Over the last 15 years or so I've tried quite few combos and this is the best so far. One omission, I've had the old Simms guides, sans guards (3 pairs) for most of that time.
Jon
Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro, I recall seeing Adrian duct tape around the top of his wading shoes to his waders to prevent egress of sand. There is nothing out there short of bootfoot waders that will work in the surf. I use kayak boots over my waders, but they need to be hosed out after use. The solution is to wait until the water warms and wet wade.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Another vote for Patagonia River Walkers. You can also put a few hardened steel studs (Simms or Stabilicers are sources) on the sole if you want added traction.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:20 AM
resigned

Take a look at Cabelas' Bone Sneaker 2. Thinking about trying out a pair soon. Simms new flats boot. Great quality but twice the price. For obvious reasons, only good in sand.

Phil
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM

wet wade barefoot - the best!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Another one for Patagonia. You'll get a little sand but not much if your waders have a built in boot skirt.

The big thing is the guarantee. I bought my pair about five or six years ago. They wear out like anything else but Patagonia doesn't blink an eye over replacing them. I'm on my third pair and the only cost was the original purchase of the first pair.

The new ones are incredibly easy to put on as well. Lace hooks all the way down to the foot for a big wide opening. Neoprene like ankle cuff keeps out most of the sand.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 AM
In moderation

Simms G4.

Best I have ever used.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM

I switched to BOOT waders a few years back for the salt. It's an easy on and off and there are no problems with sand/grit working into the mix. Ease of movement/comfort is not the problem that we have been lead to believe. Life is a lot easier with boot waders!!

Millerbrown
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 PM

Indeed I'd prefer to have a pair of each; boot foot and stocking foot - but with the price of top brand goretex waders I need to be able to pack the waders to fish the west coast with different boots than I would don them for the local flats, i.e. $800 is more than I can justify for waders. The boot foot boots are fairly clunky as well for long walking as is often the case on the flats.

Until my current pair fell apart, I was fortunate to have the ultimate solution - basically a neoprene tall slip-on boot with a light hiking sole. This was an experimental design LL Bean sold for whitewater then discontinued. I've been enjoying this for years until they finally gave in to the constant abuse.

In order to cope with the inadequate designs out there I may take the route of perfecting the gaitors over boots that offer everything but the seal at the top of the boot. If the boots have a fully gusseted tongue then the only intrusion would occur from the top opening. The advantage of the slip-on neoprene is that it stretched snugly over the neoprene boot of the wader effectively mating the two for a no-sand solution which could be left on the wader like a bootfoot between trips.

I consider myself a serious shore angler in rips, surf and flats and have tested dozens of designs during which only one design has stood up to the challenge. I may have to design a suitable replacement myself.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Let me say something again for boot waders. I've seen plenty of waterlogged/sandlogged boots making their way back to the vehicles to know that a boot wader is a lot less trouble than a stockingfoot/boot combo. For full disclosure I can say that my freshwater fishing is now done with boot waders. My walking along trout rivers take me a mile or so from my car. I'm also 60 years old and boot waders are not leading me to an untimely end!!!! I feel fine after hours in this gear. One, who is "on the fence" about this ,would be surprised about the convenience of boot waders. It's worth a try.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM

New LL Bean Wading Boot

Juro,
I just picked up a pair of the River Tread (studded) boots and then spent 2 10 hour days walking in them on the cape (4 fish in 20+ hours makes for 2 long days). Two observations... First these are the most comfortable pair of wading boots I have ever owned. Second, after walking in them for 10 hours there was virtually NO sand inside the boots. Normally I have to empty out my boots at least once a day. I have Simms G3 waders with the built in gravel guards. I am very happy with them so far. They replaced another pair of LL Bean boots with the same bottoms so I know I will be happy with that part of the boot.

Quinn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.