Fly Fishing Forum banner

Smallies staging but not on spawning beds yet.

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  vtloon 
#1 ·
Got back from Disney-burg at midnight Thursday. Friday, my Chiropractor called and said lets catch some Smallies tomorrow. So, today we fished for about 5 hours. He caught about 12 fish, largest 4.5# with spinning rod and plugs. I caught 8 or 9, largest just over 3# on Clouser tied Magog Smelt. Most were in 3 - 4 ' of water ...none in more than 8'. A few stray Pike crashed the party.

I was pleasantly surprised since we had 12" of snow mid-week and the Lake's water temp went backwards 3 degrees.

#3 ·
Boat. One of the cool things is that you can see bottom clearly in 10' of water. (courtesy of the Zebra Mussels who, unfortunately, are also cleaning out the bottom of the food chain). Water temps were 50 -53 degrees.

#5 ·
Todd, is this Lake Champlain?

A friend and I fished the backwaters of eastern Lake Ontario last week, and they have a severe shortage of snowpack this year. Water levels are at sixty year lows for this time of year, so finding pike and smallmouth was tough....we got some, but not like we normally do.

#6 ·
Well, I gave it a shot last night. That spot with a SW wind was not the right choice for a canoe. Wind wasn't very strong but it seems the right wind will kick the lake up pretty good depending upon where you are. We got out there but had to look for unexposed coves and came up blank save one small yellow perch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.