Close encounter at the Tub ... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Flats Rat

Close encounter at the Tub ...

... of the Canis Latrans kind!

Follwoing the epic shellfishing in near arctic conditions yesterday morning with Juro and encouraged by the fully developed cherry blosson at Harwich Commons, I decided the check out the tub last night at low tide.

I wasn't holding out too much hope but it did feel good to be back on the Cape holding a fly rod

Just after 8:00 pm I decided to call it a day and as I was about to start the hike back across the dunes, I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. Padding along the shoreline was what I first took to be a large dog. It kept trotting along then stopped, turned in my direction and started coming towards me. There being no owner in sight I realized it was one of Monomoy's resident coyotes.

I figured a couple of quick flashes with my headlamp would spook it but no, it just kept coming. My next reaction was to charge at it making the most almighty racket. That did the trick. Or at least so I thought, as after running off about 20 yards it stopped, turned and started coming back. This time I really lost it. Anyone in the vicinity must have wondered what the hell was going on but, it being 38F, blowing 30mph and dark, I doubt there was anyone else dumb enough to be out there

After scarpering off a second time it melted away into the dark and I quickly made my way across the dunes, looking over my shoulder fairly frequently until I got back to the lighthouse side. Thankfully the widblown sand was firm underfoot which made for good progress.

I was about half way back to the stairs when off to my left, sonofabitch, there it was again! It didn't come too close but kept pace with me about 90 feet off. If I'd remembered the camera, I would probably have gotten a picture! I was almost back to the stairs when it finally disappeared back into the dunes.

All the time common sense was telling me that Coyotes are spooked by humans but the evidence last night suggests otherwise. Maybe someone has been leaving food out for it?

Anyway, next time I decide to fish the Tub after dark I will be carrying a better weapon than a fly rod.

One other footnote to this adventure: The Mass State Police seem to be extremely "enthusiastic" on Route 6 this year so, for those travelling up over the next few weeks, watch your speed
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 05:38 PM

I had one watch me while I was fishing the Cattaraugus in Western NY last spring. Never came to close but just kept watching me for about 30 minutes.
Kind of hard to concentrate on the fishing with good old "Wylie E Coyote.. Genius" watching me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 10:51 PM
President of CAC

Adrian...I will be carring something other than a flyrod if at night out there...like a 9mm Walther...a knife will not help especially if there are more than one. They seem to spook if near homes and roads as I have seen around my place but I had an incident many years ago where following, in areas where they are comfortable, became unnerving and , as far as I am concerned, unpredictible.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I plan on throwing a couple M-80s into the chest pack. They're completely waterproof (even the fuse) and will teach them a lesson without hurting them. My luck the matches will be wet

Yet another of many reasons why I love sight-fishing in the day.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 AM
President of CAC

I would not hurt them either...I would expect, as a m80, that a gun shot report in the sand between them and me will also make them run. But I expect to see more of them this year according to other reports... and they also run in packs...so I would want more than a firecracker...and you will want something quicker than , as you say, trying to fiddle with matches or even a lighter. I remember getting a lecture from, I think, MikeM, I forget his handle who stated that even a knife will probably noy be enough to protect you since, as dogs will do, charge at the wrist...if they see something. I was told to hold the knife behind you out of sight. Your reaction is to lift your arm on an attack to protect your neck....finally, one could be rabid....anyway...i also plan to do most of my fishing in daylight...but I will also be out before daylight early in the morning and that is also a very active time for them. I would never hurt them but I will not risk serious injury or worse.

Last edited by striblue; 04-19-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM

A boaters air horn might do nicely. The small sized version is very portable and doesn't require any fumbling around. Could come in handy on foggy flats, too.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Flats Rat

Some type of audio device looks like a plan.

There are several ultra-sonic anti-dog-attack devices out there.

Anyone have any experience with them - Mailmen? Joggers?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:43 AM

..the air horn is a good idea. If it doesn't work, use "Mace Muzzle" canine repellent;
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Adrian...I am just a bit curious about your "close encounter"....given that it is Spring and mating season...you weren't by chance wearing your coon tail long brimmed fishing hat ...were you?????

Ron
Old 04-19-2010, 08:51 AM
President of CAC

One other thing worth mentioning and which Pete Gray can attest. Several years ago, scientist were wondering why the local one were getting so big...like the size of big German Sheppards, not the historic smaller scrawny one seen in the past. A DNA test was performed on one the victim of a road kill and it was determined that they were crosses into the wolf breed... Gray wolves to be exact.....which, as you know , are programmed to "stalk" more than the smaller full breed coyote...just a point of interest in this discussion. So I wonder about the probable success of so called noise devises . The odds are they will work but may not. A fog Horn is a good idea especially if you are caught on a flat... I carry one only at times I am planning on being on a flat. I don't bring it if the plan is to be just beach fishing.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Evil eyed devil dog...

Coyote-Wolf hybrids have been driven from Area61 by the likes of...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Flats Rat

John, that is interesting since the Coyote I saw appeared pretty large to me - German Shepherd size.

I didn't mention it previously as the dark can play tricks but it would also explain the "stalking" behavior.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
President of CAC

The reason I will NOT take any chances...is that one of my experiences several years ago...about the time that the DNA test was done is that I was fishing near the point at the light house.... on the beach.... and all of a sudden I happen to look behind me and there is what appears to be a huge German shep... literally slinking down from the dune head toward me..... it was on its stomack...like a cat...crawling toward me... I almost peed in my pants and shouted , waving the rod, and pulled my waste knife.. It stopped...but did not move, just watching me.... so my only recourse was to move into the water.... with that current...up to my thighs.... and we watched each other...I started back wading all the way.... it stood up and walked back into the dunes.... I was exhausted wading back against the current to the stairs... I would have dove in if I had too....But I felt that I stood a chance in the water even if it dove in since I would have the upper hand in that case.... I don't plan on that again and I will not let a wild animal get close enough to me again to be able to get a shot of mace at it. Mace that might work on dogs but not hybrid wolves, who are hungry. There is also something about the danger of eye contact which I forget but will check out again...I think you are to maintain visability of it, but not direct eye contact as they see that as aggressive. A staring contest does no go and they freeze too but will not run. You then may have crossed the line....so get ready. Maintain visability and move away casually, not turning your back.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Little know fact: John always carries pork chops in his kit...

There's a bit of controversy regarding DNA evidence...
If the imposing "coyotes" are genetically deemed to be "wolves" they would fall under "endangered" species and "protected" status...
Federal sharpshooters and local agencies would be stymied...
So, the evidence is questioned and denied and the "predators" walk a fine line...
Welcome to the Phood Chain...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM
President of CAC

Right, but no one will make that claim since they want to rid them... and were doing it I think two years ago on Monomoy....But there is no question that they are not like the Coyotes of old. They are even a different color...not all brown but combo of gray and brown... by the way... charging them is a big mistake. That can provoke an attack. retreat is the best course...non aggresive behaviour is best even if you think showing your fearlessness is important.... they STILL know you are scared...so just move off casually...The more distance you put between you and them... The MORE you relax and this can be sensed by them. I have never heard of anyone charging a wild bear to scare them off, despite loud noices which do work on bears... it may not with these guys. Also, as was Adrians first reaction which is normal is to charge....show force...but that will not give you time to pull out whatever protective devises you have should that fail.. and they charge back. Your first thought would be to move away, get your stuff out you need, get it ready as you move off. If out in the middle of the dunes...move toward the water.... you can atleast jump in. One other thing... these things are VERY fast in close contact....

Last edited by striblue; 04-19-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.