RIO Striped Bass 26' DC vs. RIO Outbound Intermediate/Sink 8 - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM

RIO Striped Bass 26' DC vs. RIO Outbound Intermediate/Sink 8

Anybody try the new Type 6 or Type 8 intermediate/sinking Outbound line with the 37.5' head? I'm curious how this line compares to the existing 26' striped bass DC line.

Except for a longer head it's not clear to me why these products aren't substitutes, redundant, etc.

What would be the advantage/disadvantage of using a 26' vs. 37.5' head on a SINGLE-handed rod?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 AM

To make things even more confusing, I think there is a short head version of the new sinking outbound lines.. the only thing that is consistent seems to be the $80 price tag

-- Tom
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I own a couple of RIO Outbound intermediates and they rock for two-handed and single-handed fishing. The shorter heads are better for wading in amongst the fish when fast reactions are necessary especially on slightly overcast days.

Try it sometime - go out when it's cloudy with a short belly line. Much easier to place the fly for short to medium shots.

However on days when you have incredible visibility and can do what my friend Dennis Worley of Seattle used to refer to as the "long-armed throw" you can extend the path of travel with a 38 foot head and reach the pod before the guy next to you every time

If you have good "dynamic roll casting" (i.e. Spey) skills you can use the outbound line as a general purpose line on any day, cloudy or otherwise.

Shorter heads are much easier for beginners to learn on.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM

I'm using a Rio Outbound line now and I apoligize for the exact number of it but I remember there where 2 kinds,, one was full intermediate and the other was only the shorter head was intermediate. I got the 2nd the floating line but the head runs intermediate and I got it for sight fishing really but basically if you have alot of line out you just need to get the head high enough and then single haul it back to pick up the entire head and whatever floating line is out with that single haul and just haul it forward to shoot it where you want it to go,, hardcore line mending is what I call it

I love the line and to me its worth the price for that option especially when I fish the flats,,, I don't have much love for Airflo lines anymore after last season so i won't try or comment on anything by airflo ,, its RIO or SA lines for me and most everyone I know after I asked around for a different line for this season I learned alot.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Love the 37.5 foot outbounds. I have floater, intermediate, type 3 and 8. Type 8 needs to be stretched or it will tangle. Used the 26' Striper lines for years. Good line, but the long and heavier Outbound is a bomb.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

I have the Outbound and love it. When I hit the Stripers in Cape Cod it's my line of choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.