Acklins adventure - 2010 (cont'd) - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Acklins adventure - 2010 (cont'd)

By now we'd been fishing for a couple of days, seeing fish, eating like kings (not even joking about that), having an evening rum and coke (Tom bought some amazing Cuban rum and cigars) or a Kalik to end the day, off to sleep to dream of grey ghosts and sugar white flats.

For me the rigors of day to day life have pretty much melted away and there was much more left to do. So just after sunrise we packed up and made a short drive to a very special flat on a perfect sunny Bahamian day to see what we could find.

Along the trail was a good omen - many cultures use symbols of fertility for luck. I took these cacti as a sign "ACTION today!"

Soon after arrival, a half dozen good-sized bones were tailing in the outflow of a current coming around a mangrove patch. I was behind them, so could not get a good headshot. Tom was coming up the flat and I really wanted him to take this shot but he was at least 50 yards back so I repositioned and went for it. So did the bone, and the battle was on!

I knew my cacti omen wouldn't fail me!

It's hard to describe the beauty of tropical bonefishing destinations when they are so pure and rural, free of resort traffic and souvenir shops, only the real deal. Tom takes in the view.

Tom and I ended up taking a long swim at low tide. Absolutely gorgeous place. We found them in the mangroves earlier, and Tom picked up some tasty looking snapper. There were many sea turtles, rays, cuda, awesome birds, a real wildlife display.

I had some excellent additional shots including this one - but only with camera. This bone was a single in the 7-8 pound class, look hard and you can see the fish over it's shadow and it's forked tail, etc. I was photographing a turtle suddenly this big single passed by. I never got a shot, well I took one anyway long after it had passed by.

We tallied up a few in this spot among the crew and headed back for some dinner. From my perspective it was a quality, not quantity experience. I would not have traded it for any of the days I hooked double-digit numbers of fish.

I think this was the night of the conch fritters. Hands down the best conch fritters any of us had ever eaten, and we could not stop. Then dinner was served afterwards We certainly could not starve to death out there.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Watch your step...

I almost stepped on this guy!

Vivid local color...

Whats that cRaZy hat the Heron is wearing??

Aha - it's just Walt in the background!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 AM

Smile Acklins

Hi. I read your thread with great interest. wWHen do you go to Acklins, where did you stay ? Was it DIY or guided.
I was in Exumas Bahamas feb 2010 and we only got a few fish. There was a cold front over the island that made bonefishing very difficult.
We are planning a new trip 2011, so we really need some advice.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Why don't you join us? We will be going again in 2011 and it would be fun to join forces with our Scandinavian flyfishing brothers!

We can fish guided or DIY, in remote yet luxurious accomodations. If you're interested just let me know and I will plan things to include your group.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 AM

Nice, I'm hoping to be back on the band wagon this year. Planning a November long weekend to another island if anyone is interested.

November is when the BIG BOYZ come in.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 PM

november trip

I might be interested in another trip to Eleuthera in November. I went last year in January. If you firm up plans and are open to another person to fish with let me know.

Marty
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Spectacular photos! +10 on the heartbeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.