The best fishing partner ever - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 AM

The best fishing partner ever

Hey fellas,

I just got back from my vet.... Sadie, my fearless and loyal fishing partner for 8 years, is not doing well. It looks like she may have lymphoma and the prognosis is not good. I wanted to post a little video of her finer moments.

Thanks,
David

http://gallery.mac.com/dkopij#100711
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mans best friend. The memories are never forgotten.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-31-2010, 11:37 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Sorry to hear this Dave, They can be the best fishing partners, I had several in my younger days. I know how you must be feeling, as in any similar situation remember the memories and smile. I hope for the best. A little story about dog loyalty,years ago I was fishing at night at scortons creek, in order to reach the fish at the mouth of the creek you had to wade up to your chest to target the fish set up in the flow. There was another angler in front of me ,in the dark I kept seeing a head swim around this guy, at first I thought a seal was pestering him, this went on for close to an hour,when it started to get light enough to see I realized it was a dog. Talking to him latter he told me he found this dog ,never found its original owner and the dog won't leave his side.He said this dog will swim around him for hours while he fishes . Thats a loyal fishing partner.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Years ago when I lived in Seattle, the ex used to take the kids back to Boston for the summer vacation. It was me and the dog, Cody. He was part police dog (shepherd) and part golden (everyone's favorite neighborhood dog).

He was a shoe-in for the best fishing dog club. Being of police dog breed, I trained him to lay down on the shore when I pulled my line off the reel (just based on the drag sound and eye contact) and that we would go to a new spot when I reeled up the working length (Spey casting for steelhead).

People would groan when I came to the river with a dog, since they like to jump in and scare the steelhead. But soon those anglers in rotation would be amazed when I pulled the line out to cast and he went to lay down quietly; then again when he jumped up as soon as I reeled up.

Another day we were hiking a rarely traveled canyon spotting summer steelhead. He walked ahead of me along a basalt / dirt cliff then suddenly the bank gave way. Having four legs, he bounced here and there barely missing sharp rock outcroppings as he fell into the water at the bottom of the cliff. With my eyes peeled into the water looking for fish, if I had been alone I would surely have been seriously injured or worse. I hiked a good distance to get to the riverbank to meet him, none the worse for wear. He saved my bacon.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Dave,
Really sorry to hear the news. Know what a good buddy is and can only imagine what you're feeling. Glad you guys have made some great memories and you have to love those.
Take care,
Chris
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Dave,

My yellow lab, Jack, is by far my best friend. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Last summer I had a family of woodchucks attacking my garden. Jack would excitedly give chase, and when he had it cornered, looked back at me as if to say, what do I do now? Apparently, he is a lover, not a fighter. He is my constant companion and often comes along on fishing trips. He loves to swim, but knows better to stay out of the water while I am fishing. It is amazing how attached we get to our pets. I hope all goes well for Sadie.

Steve
Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM

Love the stories..... Keep 'em coming
Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Dave
So sorry to hear. Whatta trip you two had together last summer. Memories of a lifetime.
All my best,
Bill
Old 03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Dave, sorry to hear of the situation. It's amazing to me that I continue to feel more remorse for my dogs dying than I do for some people. I guess it shouldn't surprise me when you consider they are always happy to see, affectionate and really don't need or want a lot, except your love.

All the best.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:21 PM

Sorry Dave

Just visited an old friend from many years back....he and his wife had a dog for 12 years and then it passed on...they were heartbroken....took a while and then she heard about a program where they rescue street dogs from places like Puerto Rico etc so they drove to the place in western MA and came home with a dog they just love...I met the dog the other day and what a joy it is to them...

Hang in there its like a member of the family isn't it...?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.