deadmans cay long island - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 AM

deadmans cay long island

has any one fished the deadmans cay area either DIY or guided
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I just flew over Deadmans Cay, looked reaalllllly fishy! If you type "deadmans" into the search window (see the top dark blue menu third from right) you'll get a good amount of info, also contact those who post by private message in case they don't want to talk openly about DIY spots.

The best flats are across the sound so you might need to recruit the services of a guide or at least shuttle to reach them.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Deadman's

I fished there for a week 3 years ago both guided and unguided. Loved the island, snorkeling and beaches, but wasn't overly impressed with the bonefishing. They had a big fish kill at deadmans' a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's better now. The guides are cheap which is kind of nice and there's lots of wading. Plenty of non 'lodge' places to stay, conch bars, places to eat/drink but you'll need a rental car.

I would go back for a 'fun' trip with the little lady, but not for a hardcore bonefishing trip.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM

i fished deadman's 2 times a few years ago. it was mediocre. before the second trip there had been a big netting operation that the locals told us wiped out most of the fish. it may be better now. but even when it was good it was not known for big fish. i fished a 6 wt and it was more than enough.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM

deadmans cay l.i.

until a few years ago long island was not known for bonefishing since then and the locals where taught that they can make a living of being a guide they started to take care of their fisheries netting was banned and the guides help to inforce the law alot of flats that was dyked off by the old salt company was open to let new water flow so know we have alot more flats more fish are around on these flats we are starting to see a lot bigger fish only thing now is that the guides have to work harder because it is alot more flats , we are getting more experience fishermen who will not fish large pods or muds who are looking for flats to hunt and catch . so you might be unlucky to hire a guide who used to just fishing the muds and now that there are more flats for the fish to feed you don't see much of the muds so they have to spend more money on fuel . long island i think is just lacking the more experienced guides lot the islands that was bonefishing many years.i think if not mistaken the first guided bonefish trip in long island was not until 1995.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.